• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Washington And Guru Gobind

S|kH

SPNer
Jul 11, 2004
We Are PENN STATE!!
I'm reading a phenomenal book called "1776" by David McCullough, and there's just a few quotes from men that were describing General Washington's features that stick out at me.

It's strange how some of these quotes can apply to a man some years before Washington in a place on the other side of the world.

"His Excellency was on horseback, in company with several military gentlemen. It was not difficult to distinguish him from all others. His personal appearance is truly noble, and majestic. His dress is a blue coat with buff colored facings, a rich epaulet on each shoulder, buff underdress, and an elegant small sword, a black {censored}ade in his hat."

Of course, Guru Gobind never wore a hat...replace the word with a turban.
But, I had just gotten into a discussion with a younger kid who was telling me that Guru Gobind wouldnt have kept the kirpan, had guns been more available. That the kirpan was only for back then, when we were at war.

Something about that quote of Washington sticks out...one of the Greatest Generals of all-time and America, that pulled one of the biggest upsets in the history of war...he carried a small sword, for no apparent reason?

According to most logic, he had no need to carry the small sword at all times, plus guns were much more readily available to him and his soldiers.

Just a thought.

BaljeetSingh

SPNer
Jun 24, 2005
USA
Hmmm interesting....Though I would not dare to compare Guru Gobind Singh with George Washington....Maybe Maharaja Ranjit Singh and George Waashington can be compared.

I was wondering if there were more similarities between 17th and 18th century Americans and Sikhs history.

We all know Maharaja Ranjit Singh's Army was trained by Napoleon in 1700s (or was it 1800s?)...around the same time Americans took help from French to fight the british. Correct me if I am wrong....

Does anyone else know of more similarities?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: