• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Flowery Writing

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Boys and Girls,

I would like to tell you a story, a story that came to me whilst I was lying in bed, it is a made up story, it is not real.

There was once a bus driver, lets call him, oh I dunno, Raj Singh, anyway Raj was a very very very religious Sikh and always recited bani whilst he was driving, often he would get caught up in the bani as he was so religious, so devout, that the bani would speak to him, and he would find himself embroiled in the very bani, as indeed one would, however, one day, as he recited whilst he was driving a coach load of children, so lost in the bani was he, that he did not notice the brake lights flash up, and smashed straight into another coach full of pensioners,

The question, has being lost in bani ever resulted in an error whilst carrying out real life duties? If so, how is it explained? was it destined to happen? did god make it happen? What of the person that caused it to happen, should they be blamed? Who was at fault?

Now, allow me to comment on this, in what I call flowery writing, also @chazSingh, you mentioned that the SGGS is written in flowery writing, I disagree, it is a writing of wit, mild sarcasm, discretion and requires intelligence to understand its slow unraveling of the truth, love does not empower education, and it is education that the SGGS has in abundance. Love that education by all means, describe the love in as flowery a language as you wish, but that is where the flowers stop.

So here goes, flowery writing, as reported in the Sikh Flower Times

Yesterday, devout Sikh Raj Singh achieved martyrdom by allowing himself to be lost in bani, whilst driving his bus, one cannot comprehend the beauty of the moment that caused Raj to completely lose himself in the Gurus grace and accept the will of the Guru. It was of course, his karma, his fate, and indeed the fate of all the 34 that died and 80 injured, it is of course the will of God, who are we to ask or inquire as the way in which he plays with our lives, we should not take it seriously, as it is only a game, God called his son to him, and his son called back, we will never understand, we should not try and understand. He was doing God's grace at the time and should be respected as a martyr.

The above is not directed or aimed at anyone in particular, it is merely how I perceive flowery writing.

I would be interested in any views on the scenario, flowery or not.

RD1

Writer
SPNer
Sep 25, 2016
What one calls flowery may simply be another person's perspective. 100 people could view the same event, however, each may have a different interpretation of what happened. Some may interpret things more intellectually, others more emotionally, ones own unique personal experiences - that others have no privy to - will all shape how one makes sense of various events. We certainly may not agree with another's interpretation, because we all have our own individual mental constructs that we feel are correct, that we use to navigate the world.

Gurbani certainly requires intelligence, or perhaps more so open-mindedness to understand. However, it is also very poetic and metaphorical, and this can be seen as "flowery."

love does not empower education, and it is education that the SGGS has in abundance.

I do not feel it is so linear. It is possible to fall in love with the education in the SGGS, and this love in turn can empower us to seek more and more education and truth. Its a loop.

Seeker2013

Writer
SPNer
Aug 29, 2013
If you think this is what being a "martyr" is about, you're wrong my friend.

Martyr is someone who laid his life out of voluntary discretion, not an accident victim.
Martyr chooses his death with careful and after careful thought, for benefit of others !
Your Raj Singh was just a victim of absent mindedness , sorry !

Secondly, is it anywhere written in SGGS to recite baani while working ?!!
There's a reason why time for reciting name is called "amrit vela". Just as you cannot have dinner at 9 am in the morning and go to kindergarten at the age of 80, it shows everything in life has to be balanced and at a proper time.
Bachelors passing age of 35 find it nearly impossible to get married.
Everything in life requires to happen in proper time frame.
Simran and baani is no different.
Raj Singh should have chosen to get beautifully immersed in baani at , ..um... 5 am in the morning .

Why complicate life where it is not required ? :)

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: