• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

USA Federal Hate Crime Indictment Filed In 'savage' Attack On Cab Driver

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
Feds indict alleged anti-Muslim bigot on hate crime charge
Federal prosecutors take up case against Federal Way man accused in attack on Sikh driver

BY LEVI PULKKINEN, SEATTLEPI.COM STAFF

A Federal Way man accused of viciously beating a Sikh cab driver while shouting anti-Muslim slurs now faces a federal hate crime indictment.

121030_hatecrime.jpg

Initially charged in King County Superior Court, Jamie W. Larson is accused of attacking a cab driver during an Oct. 17 ride after commenting on the man’s turban. Larson, who is alleged to have torn at the man’s beard and injured his mouth in the attack, apparently believed the Sikh driver to be Muslim.

A federal grand jury in Seattle returned an indictment against Larson late last week; Larson, 49, previously pleaded not guilty to a state charge. He is expected to appear before a U.S. District Court judge Tuesday afternoon.

Announcing the indictment Tuesday, U.S. Attorney for Western Washington Jenny Durkan noted Larson now faces a significant prison sentence under a hate crime law enacted in 2009.

“Attacks such as this one, based on prejudice and racial hate, are contrary to who we are and violate the law,” Durkan said in a statement. “Protecting the civil rights of all the members of our community is a top priority for our office.”

According to state court documents, Larson tore out chunks of the man’s beard during the assault, which also loosened one of the driver’s teeth.

“Two witnesses saw the attack which was described as savage, and the defendant continued his tirade after officers arrived,” King County Deputy Prosecutor Gretchen Holmgren told the court previously, noting that the cab driver was taken to a hospital following the attack.

The afternoon attack came after Auburn police called a cab to pick up Larson, who was apparently too intoxicated to drive or walk.

According to charging documents, the STITA Taxi driver arrived at the Auburn police station to retrieve Larson. During the drive to Larson’s Federal Way home, Larson began questioning the driver about his turban.

Larson then attacked the driver while making anti-Muslim comments, a Federal Way detective told the court. The driver was able to stop the car in the 1200 block of Southwest 301st Street, where police found him injured and Larson attempting to return to the parked taxi.

During the attack, Larson pulled out parts of the driver’s beard and punched him repeatedly, according to charging documents. Police report the attack left the driver dazed and with a loose tooth.

Even after police arrived, Larson continued making bigoted comments about the driver, an immigrant from India. According to police, Larson referred to him derisively as Iranian and Iraqi, and used several anti-Arab slurs before also using an anti-gay slur.

“We have Americans fighting overseas in his country and why doesn’t he go back to there?” Larson allegedly asked officers at the scene.

Writing the court, the Federal Way detective noted Larson’s comments were not only hateful but based on his misperception of the driver’s heritage.

“Officers noted that (the driver), a follower of the Sikhism religion, wore a turban headdress, kirpana, kara and a Kanga; items that symbolize (his) religion,” the detective told the court.

Larson is expected to make an initial appearance Tuesday afternoon. He was charged under the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act, a federal law that criminalizes attacks based on a person’s actual or perceived race, religion, gender or sexual orientation, in addition to several other factors.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/Feds-indict-alleged-anti-Muslim-bigot-on-hate-4403843.php

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
It is sad to notice that how many people in this country refuse to educate themselves in order to get better.

They make knowledge their worst enemy rather than their best friend.

3 Cheers for homeskewling!!!!

Really.

Not only is Islamophobia ignorant and stupid; they don't even know who we are.

I had a caregiver, a sweet but very ignorant lady, inform me a few weeks ago that those taxi drivers are called "ragheads" and they're Muslims out to take over the world for Allah. After a bit of discussion, I think I cleared up the confusion. When I explained to her that calling a Sikh (she got that we aren't Muslims) a raghead is just exactly like calling a Black person a nig ger, she was totally taken aback and nearly in tears at her error.

I told her that she needs to explain her new knowledge to all her friends and gave her a few little brochures to give to them. I'm not sure if she did, but there you go with the ignorance.

techsingh

SPNer
Jul 14, 2012
Midwest, USA
a while back i was pumping some gas in my car. and the gas station called the cops telling them a taliban was gonna blow up there station that they need to get here asap. I dont know if people are born stupid or they choose to be.

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
a while back i was pumping some gas in my car. and the gas station called the cops telling them a taliban was gonna blow up there station that they need to get here asap. I dont know if people are born stupid or they choose to be.

Don't confuse stupidity - the inability to learn or learning only with great difficulty - with ignorance - not knowing or being unwilling to learn.

Stupid people cannot help being stupid, but they can learn simple things like "Sikhs are not taliban" The ignorant often refuse to learn. That disgusts me and is dangerous.

GSingh1984

SPNer
Mar 28, 2013
Idk, pathans really are blowing up gas stations; it's not a stretch to think that. It's common for immigrants to assimilate, into white society and think their viewpoint represents everyone. Remember the majority of Sikhs and Muslims are not in America. It is ignorant, an funny but people associate with kin, and you are assumed to be who you associate with.

Check your karma. Keep you negativity under control. It is impossible to know how your reply is relevant to this thread. spnadmin

Last edited by a moderator:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: