• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Arts/Society Father Kills Mother Over Daughter's Marriage

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Father kills mother over daughter's marriage

Infuriated over his daughter's marriage to a boy against his wishes in this district, a retired army man allegedly attempted to shoot his son-in-law but ended up killing his mother who tried to intervene.
On learning that Balihar, who had married his daughter Kamaljit Kaur in a Chandigarh court a few weeks ago, was back in Brahmpura village, the accused Gurdeep Singh, along with six others, barged into the house of his son-in-law yesterday.
Gurdeep Singh, carrying a .12-bore gun, fired at Balihar while his mother Manjit Kaur rushed to protect her son. She was shot twice, police said today. Senior Superintendent of Police, Patiala, Arpit Shukla said it was a kind of honour killing.
The couple belonged to the same village and their alliance was objected to by the girl s family, he said.
Gurdeep Singh was caught by villagers and handed him over to the police. Police said the accused and six others had been arrested and the matter was being investigated.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Hmm this is a cultural thing. I remember being told as a child that people from my village and my gotra and my mothers gotra being my brothers and sisters. The father who shot the woman would see this as an incestuous marriage.

Although I condemn the shooting, I can understand the mentality behind no to inter village marriages. You are in effect marriage a family member.

deepsingh87

SPNer
Jun 3, 2007
Hmm this is a cultural thing. I remember being told as a child that people from my village and my gotra and my mothers gotra being my brothers and sisters. The father who shot the woman would see this as an incestuous marriage.

Although I condemn the shooting, I can understand the mentality behind no to inter village marriages. You are in effect marriage a family member.

marriages in the same pind are happening alot these days.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM