• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

English Translation Of A Hymn By Various Writers

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Virinder ji,

Guru Fateh.

Thanks for sharing these translations. This shows that there is no collective thought process in Acadamia as far as Sikhi is concerned, unlike in other religions. So each of the scholars went their own individual way based on their educational backgrounds and personal quests.

Prof. Sahib Singh's Punjabi translation is considered the best. I wish there were more at the same par for comparative studies.

This could be perhaps because of absence of heirachy but on a second thought this can not be true either because SGGS is such a beautiful, deep, well thought manual of life that it makes us grow each time we read the same verse again. It is a multi facted tool box that makes us evolve through out our life spans. That is why our visionary Gurus named us Sikhs.

Now in order to have the collective thought process about Gurbani, the honchos of the Panth, in this case the care takers of the Takhats and SGPC did not invest in centralised acadamia to develop other transalations in Punjabi and other languages. These places have become the political chairs rather than the ground floor of Miri- Piri where the foundation of this concept could be created and hence developed in different languages.

But I do not believe everything is lost. SPN is the right place to start anew. It is a long process but it is a great start and your contributions and of other scholars in this forum are the breaking ground for that.

So, keep on sharing.

Tejwant Singh

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan
Dear Teji Ji,

I agree with all your suggestions. Sikhs are all autonomous and as a single individual they are successful, hard working and have made names in their field of work but collectively they are useless. Our honchos are uneducated and corrupt. They appoint their own scholars which are sub-servient to them rather than coldly dissecting the issues to find the truth. It is a Herculean task but some one has to bell the cat. We all can differ but can find a common ground to solve the problems.

Thanks for your encouragement. We need broad minded persons who can accept their faults and accept mistakes. No one is perfect as I say I will never be a saint at least I making an honest attempt to become a better human on spiritual lines.

With kindest regards.

Cordially,

Virinder

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
Dear Teji Ji,

Thanks for your encouragement. We need broad minded persons who can accept their faults and accept mistakes. No one is perfect as I say I will never be a saint at least I making an honest attempt to become a better human on spiritual lines.

With kindest regards.

Cordially,

Virinder
We need broad minded but blessed persons who don't delibrately misguide the ignorant and innocents for their fixed agenda. It is a great sin. Whenever I go to Punjab and get a chance to visit any Dera and analyze their chosen maryada, I feel what has happened to sikhi. Are these people unfornutate and not blessed? Only the chosen one atleast visit Golden Temple, rest all are left to wander in these corrupted deras. Yesterday Bhai Chaman Lal Singh performed his keertan in my home. I noticed what all he talks is rubbish. He should limit himself to keertan only and not katha for misguiding. In a very dramatize style he said parshad should not touch our teeth and that it should be swallowed. Where have we made mistake?

Best regards
Sahni Mohinder

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
We need broad minded but blessed persons who don't delibrately misguide the ignorant and innocents for their fixed agenda. It is a great sin. Whenever I go to Punjab and get a chance to visit any Dera and analyze their chosen maryada, I feel what has happened to sikhi. Are these people unfornutate and not blessed? Only the chosen one atleast visit Golden Temple, rest all are left to wander in these corrupted deras. Yesterday Bhai Chaman Lal Singh performed his keertan in my home. I noticed what all he talks is rubbish. He should limit himself to keertan only and not katha for misguiding. In a very dramatize style he said parshad should not touch our teeth and that it should be swallowed. Where have we made mistake?

Best regards
Sahni Mohinder

Sahni ji,

Guru fatah.

Btw, did you record or video tape the keertan? If you did then it would be wonderful to put it on YouTube and share with all so we can dissect what he was talking about. Lots of these so called keertan singers love to add their own spices to the Gurmat meal to impress whom?I have no idea.
Tejwant Singh

PS: You mean Chaman Lal Singh is toothless? Just kidding:)

May 24, 2008
Virinder ji,

Guru Fateh.

Thanks for sharing these translations. This shows that there is no collective thought process in Acadamia as far as Sikhi is concerned, unlike in other religions. So each of the scholars went their own individual way based on their educational backgrounds and personal quests.

Prof. Sahib Singh's Punjabi translation is considered the best. I wish there were more at the same par for comparative studies.

This could be perhaps because of absence of heirachy but on a second thought this can not be true either because SGGS is such a beautiful, deep, well thought manual of life that it makes us grow each time we read the same verse again. It is a multi facted tool box that makes us evolve through out our life spans. That is why our visionary Gurus named us Sikhs.

Now in order to have the collective thought process about Gurbani, the honchos of the Panth, in this case the care takers of the Takhats and SGPC did not invest in centralised acadamia to develop other transalations in Punjabi and other languages. These places have become the political chairs rather than the ground floor of Miri- Piri where the foundation of this concept could be created and hence developed in different languages.

But I do not believe everything is lost. SPN is the right place to start anew. It is a long process but it is a great start and your contributions and of other scholars in this forum are the breaking ground for that.

So, keep on sharing.

Tejwant Singh

Tejwant Ji ,
Personally for me it would be a dream come true if we can translate GURU GRANTH DARPAN by Prof Sahib Singh Ji in English .
http://www.gurugranthdarpan.com/
I feel SPN with its current lot of enlighted members can easily achieve the required job .A moderator like Aad Ji can allot the pages 1-1430 to members like Gyani Jarnail Singh Ji who is also aided by his students , Pk Ji , Mohinder Sahni Ji , Urself, Kiram Ji , Naam Jap Ji & whole lot of others amybe we can find out say 20 members who can be alloted 70 pages each & cut off time in which to achieve the target with daily submitting of home work like Gyani Ji is doing in his classes .I may chip in with the required copyright issues if any . Maybe the required job can be done very easily in a short time . It will be a great achievement of SPN if due to our efforts Guru Granth Darpan In English Online sees light of the day .
Regards,
Dalbir Singh

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
This idea has been circulating on SPN since inception! It is really an irony that such a monumental effort of 36 years finds very few readers... it will be in fact a fitting gesture to acknowledge his grand efforts to present it to a worldwide audience... if learned members could proceed in this direction it will be awesome.

The same applies to the lectures of Gyanji Sant Singh Ji Maskeen... his efforts also need a worldwide audience. Perhaps, along with Gurmat Vichar Project, we can start these equally important projects in SPN Soon... :welcome:

Regards

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Dalbirk ji

If we could accomplish this project, it would be something of immense value to so many people. You don't know, or maybe you do, how frustrating it is for me not to have these writings available. Later today we will figure out how to proceed. Because of time-zone differences it takes a while for everyone mentioned to see and react to comments in the forum and in the Leaders section.

You need some kind of award for your brilliant idea. :idea:

Antonia

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Best regards
Sahni Mohinder

Sahni ji

I have actually heard that before more than once -- that would be at the top of the list of things that the Guru is not that worried about. In fact the Satguru is not worried about anything -- always in Chardi Kala. These are add-on thoughts that people pick up and start repeating as truth. After that there is no reasoning with them.

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
This idea has been circulating on SPN since inception! It is really an irony that such a monumental effort of 36 years finds very few readers... it will be in fact a fitting gesture to acknowledge his grand efforts to present it to a worldwide audience... if learned members could proceed in this direction it will be awesome.

The same applies to the lectures of Gyanji Sant Singh Ji Maskeen... his efforts also need a worldwide audience. Perhaps, along with Gurmat Vichar Project, we can start these equally important projects in SPN Soon... :welcome:Regards
I will be more than happy if SPN feels I can be of any help even financially.
Best regards
Sahni Mohinder

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: