Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

English-Gurbani dictionary

Discussion in 'Discourses in English' started by Ishna, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Ishna

Ishna
    Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor

G'day

Can anyone point me in the direction of an online dictionary, or dictionary I can purchase, where I can look up Gurbani words and find their meaning in English?

I'm aware www.srigranth.org has a dictionary in-built, and I use this where I can, but some words (like ghar and likhia) just point to either 'from ghara' (which I can't find) or 'likhi-a' which doesn't really help me!

As I'm learning my nitnem banis, it assists me to know what the actual words mean.

Thank you in advance
    Ishna

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Looking for a Dictionary of Gurbani words Questions and Answers May 20, 2011
    Sikhism Dictionary of Mythological References in Guru Granth Sahib (Surinder Singh Kohli) Book Reviews & Editorials Jan 11, 2011
    SciTech Internet may phase out Oxford Dictionary Breaking News Aug 31, 2010
    Sikhism Historical Dictionary of Sikhism by W. H. McLeod Book Reviews & Editorials Aug 7, 2005
    Love : The most valuable word in dictionary Inspirational Stories Jul 7, 2004

3. findingmyway

findingmyway
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Contributor Supporter

• Like Like x 1
  4. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Ishna ji

Just to get quick closure

ghar means home or house
    likhiaa usually means pre-ordained, but can also mean written, inscribed, or pre-recorded, and carries a connotation of "so ordained" in English.

To your main question. I understand your frustration because the dictionary that I use, by Professor Surinder S. Kohli, "Dictionary of Guru Granth Sahib" is set up the same way.

Being the maniac that I am I actually enjoy this because it sends me on a treasure hunt of sorts through many pages and I learn the variations on a word or root word.

I am going to track something down for you - a document containing the 300 most used words in Sri Guru Granth Sahib. It should help you get over some of the obstacles.

:)

5. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Here you go

330 most common words in Sri Guru Granth Sahib
    See attached. I created a .pdf file so anyone can print it out and carry it around and learn anywhere.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ishna

Ishna
    Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor

Thank you Jasleen and spnadmin.

spnadmin: I figured 'ghar' out by reading sohila -- it's used so often it's easy to see it means 'house' in the English translations. 'likhiaa' I found by google search result pointing back to this forum (it was mentioned in another thread at some point). :)

Thank you very much for the download!

Ishna

• Like Like x 1