• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Eighteen Super-Natural Powers- ਅਠਾਰਹ ਸਿੱਧੀਆਂ

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan
Eighteen Super-Natural Powers- ਅਠਾਰਹ ਸਿੱਧੀਆਂ

Sidh- ਸਿਧ-meaning- Adept - Accomplished, perfect, proved, completed, valid, Saint, seer, divine person. ਪੁਰਾਤਨ ਸੰਸਕ੍ਰਿਤ ਪੁਸਤਕਾਂ ਵਿਚ ਸਿੱਧ ਉਹ ਵਿਅਕਤੀ ਮੰਨੇ ਗਏ ਹਨ ਜੋ ਮਨੁੱਖਾਂ ਦੀ ਸ਼੍ਰੇਣੀ ਤੋਂ ਉਤਾਂਹ ਤੇ ਦੇਵਤਿਆਂ ਤੋਂ ਹੇਠ ਸਨ; ਇਹ ਸਿੱਧ ਪਵਿਤ੍ਰਤਾ ਦਾ ਪੁੰਜ ਸਨ, ਅਤੇ ਅੱਠਾਂ ਹੀ ਸਿੱਧੀਆਂ ਦੇ ਮਾਲਕ ਸਮਝੇ ਜਾਂਦੇ ਸਨ। ਅਣਿਮਾ ਆਦਿਕ ਅੱਠ ਸਿੱਧੀਆਂ ਨੂੰ ਜਿਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਮਹਾਤਮਾ ਲੋਕਾਂ ਨੇ ਪ੍ਰਾਪਤ ਕਰ ਲਿਆ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਸੀ.

Sidhi- ਸਿਧੀ- ਕਰਾਮਾਤੀ ਸ਼ਕਤੀ, ਸਫਲਤਾ, ਕਾਮਯਾਬੀ।

ਸਿਧਿ- Power of working, miracles, supernatural power- ਸਿੱਧਾਂ ਵਾਲੀਆਂ ਆਤਮਕ ਤਾਕਤਾਂ, ਸਿੱਧੀ, ਸਿੱਧੀਆਂ, ਕਰਾਮਾਤਾਂ, ਕਰਾਮਾਤੀ ਤਾਕਤਾਂ, ਕਾਮਯਾਬੀ/ਕਾਮਯਾਬੀਆਂ.
Eighteen Super-Natural Powers- ਅਠਾਰਹ ਸਿੱਧੀਆਂ - ਅਠਾਰਾਂ ਕਰਾਮਾਤਾਂਅਸ੍ਟਾ ਅਠਾਰਾਂ ਸ਼ਕਤੀਆਂ. (ਅੱਠ + ਦਸ) ਸਿੱਧੀਆਂ

Eight S.N.Powers-ਅੱਠ ਸਿੱਧੀਆਂ- ਅਸਟ ਸਿਧਿ- ਅੱਠ ਸ਼ਕਤੀਆਂ. ਯੋਗਾਦਿ ਸਾਧਨਾ ਦ੍ਵਾਰਾ ਪ੍ਰਾਪਤ ਹੋਈਆਂ ਅੱਠ ਕਰਾਮਾਤਾਂ;

1. ANima/ਅਣਿਮਾ-Becoming very small- ਬਹੁਤ ਛੋਟਾ ਹੋ ਜਾਣਾ।

2. Mahima/ਮਹਿਮਾ- Becoming big-ਵੱਡਾ ਹੋ ਜਾਣਾ।

3. Garima/ਗਰਿਮਾ-Becoming heavy- ਭਾਰੀ ਹੋ ਜਾਣਾ।

4. Laghima/ਲਘਿਮਾ- Becoming light-ਹੌਲਾ ਹੋ ਜਾਣਾ।

5. Prapat/ਪ੍ਰਾਪਿਤ- Getting desired things- ਮਨਵਾਂਛਿਤ ਵਸਤੁ ਹਾਸਿਲ ਕਰ ਲੈਣੀ।

6. Prakamiah/ਪ੍ਰਾਕਾਮ੍ਯ-Inner Knower- ਅੰਤਰਜਾਮੀ- ਸਭ ਦੇ ਮਨ ਦੀ ਜਾਣ ਲੈਣੀ।

7. Eeshta/ਈਸ਼ਿਤਾ- To motivate or instigate others- ਆਪਣੀ ਇੱਛਾ ਅਨੁਸਾਰ ਸਭ ਨੂੰ ਪ੍ਰੇਰਨਾ।

8. Vashita/ਵਸ਼ਿਤਾ- To control others- ਸਭ ਨੂੰ ਕਾਬੂ ਕਰ ਲੈਣਾ. "ਅਸਟ ਸਿਧਿ ਨਵ ਨਿਧਿ ਏਹ। ਕਰਮਿ ਪਰਾਪਤਿ ਜਿਸ ਨਾਮ ਦੇਹ". (ਬਸੰ ਮਃ ੫).

Ten S.N. Powers- ਦਸ ਸਿੱਧੀਆਂ; ਯੋਗਾਦਿ ਸਾਧਨਾ ਦ੍ਵਾਰਾ ਪ੍ਰਾਪਤ ਹੋਈਆਂ ਦਸ ਕਰਾਮਾਤਾਂ;

1. Anooram/ਅਨੂਰਮਿ-To control hunger & thirst- ਭੁੱਖ ਤੇਹ ਦਾ ਨਾ ਵ੍ਯਾਪਣਾ ।

2. Door Sharvan/ਦੂਰ ਸ਼੍ਰਵਣ- Distant hearing- ਦੂਰੋਂ ਸਭ ਗੱਲ ਸੁਣ ਲੈਣੀ ।

3. Door Darshan/ਦੂਰ ਦਰਸ਼ਨ-To see far away- ਦੂਰ ਦੇ ਨਜ਼ਾਰੇ ਅੱਖਾਂ ਸਾਮ੍ਹਣੇ ਵੇਖਣੇ ।

4. Manoveg/ ਮਨੋਵੇਗ-Speed travel according to mind- ਮਨ ਦੀ ਚਾਲ ਤੁੱਲ ਛੇਤੀ ਜਾਣਾ।

5. Kaam Roop/ਕਾਮ ਰੂਪ- Change form & shape- ਜੇਹਾ ਮਨ ਚਾਹੇ ਤੇਹਾ ਰੂਪ ਧਾਰਨਾ ।

6. Parkaeh Parvesh/ਪਰਕਾਯ ਪ੍ਰਵੇਸ਼-To take over another body- ਦੂਸਰੇ ਦੀ ਦੇਹ ਵਿੱਚ ਪ੍ਰਵੇਸ਼ ਕਰ ਜਾਣਾ ।

7. Savchand Mirteoh/ਸ਼੍ਵਛੰਦ ਮ੍ਰਿਤ੍ਯੁ-To die according to individual will- ਆਪਣੀ ਇੱਛਾ ਅਨੁਸਾਰ ਮਰਨਾ ।

8. Surkrirhaਸੁਰਕ੍ਰੀੜਾ –To revel in the company of gods-ਦੇਵਤਿਆਂ ਨਾਲ ਮਿਲਕੇ ਮੌਜਾਂ ਲੁੱਟਣੀਆਂ ।

9. Sanklap Sidh/ਸੰਕਲਪ ਸਿੱਧਿ-Fulfilling desire- ਜੋ ਚਿਤਵਣਾ ਸੋ ਪੂਰਾ ਹੋ ਜਾਣਾ ।

10. Aprithat Gat/ਅਪ੍ਰਤਿਹਤ ਗਤਿ-No obstruction in the way- ਕਿਸੇ ਥਾਂ ਜਾਣ ਵਿੱਚ ਰੁਕਾਵਟ ਨਾ ਪੈਣੀ।. "ਨਵ ਨਿਧੀ ਅਠਾਰਹ ਸਿਧੀ ਪਿਛੈ ਲਗੀਆ ਫਿਰਹਿ". (ਵਾਰ ਸੋਰਠ ਮਃ ੩).-----Mahan Kosh

Sabd Guru on Eighteen Supernatural Powers- ਅਠਾਰਹ ਸਿੱਧੀਆਂ is in the power of Lord.

ਸਭਿ ਨਿਧਾਨ ਦਸ ਅਸਟ ਸਿਧਾਨ ਠਾਕੁਰ ਕਰ ਤਲ ਧਰਿਆ ॥

Sabẖ niḏẖān ḏas asat sidẖān ṯẖākur kar ṯal ḏẖari­ā.

All the treasures and the eighteen supernatural powers are held by our Creator and Master in the Palm of Its Hand -----Guru Arjan, Raag Gujri, AGGS, Page, 10-13 & 495-6

ਜਾ ਕੀ ਸੇਵਾ ਦਸ ਅਸਟ ਸਿਧਾਈ ॥ਪਲਕ ਦਿਸਟਿ ਤਾ ਕੀ ਲਾਗਹੁ ਪਾਈ ॥

Jā kī sėvā ḏas asat siḏẖā¬ī. Palak ḏisat ṯā kī lāgahu pā¬ī.

One who is served by the eighteen supernatural powers of the Siddhas -grasp his feet, even for an instant. -----Guru Arjan, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 390-3

Conclusion;

These 18 supernatural powers can be blessed by the God to a Gurmukh/Guru being equal to God in spiritual wisdom, but the later prefer not to use these and accept the Akal Purkh’s Hukam/Will (ਭਾਣਾ) to the things happening in this world.

ਬਡੇ ਭਾਗ ਗੁਰੁ ਸੇਵਹਿ ਅਪੁਨਾ ਭੇਦੁ ਨਾਹੀ ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਮੁਰਾਰ ॥

Badė bẖāg gur sėveh apunā bẖėḏ nāhī gurḏėv murār.

The most fortunate ones serve their Guru; there is no difference between the Divine Guru and the God. -----Guru Nanak, Raag Gujri, AGGS, Page, 504-5

ਸੰਤ ਅਨੰਤਹਿ ਅੰਤਰੁ ਨਾਹੀ ॥

Sanṯ anaʼnṯeh anṯar nāhī.

There is no difference between the Saints and the Infinite God. -----Ravidas, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 486-13

Those using these S.N. Powers have suffered consequences e.g. Baba Bakala and Ram Rai, hence saints/Gurus/Enlightened persons do have these powers but they prefer not to use these but accept God’s Will as it is otherwise Guru Nanak comments on it in Siri Raag;

ਸਿਧੁ ਹੋਵਾ ਸਿਧਿ ਲਾਈ ਰਿਧਿ ਆਖਾ ਆਉ ॥ਗੁਪਤੁ ਪਰਗਟੁ ਹੋਇ ਬੈਸਾ ਲੋਕੁ ਰਾਖੈ ਭਾਉ ॥ਮਤੁ ਦੇਖਿ ਭੂਲਾ ਵੀਸਰੈ ਤੇਰਾ ਚਿਤਿ ਨ ਆਵੈ ਨਾਉ ॥

SiDh Hovaa SiDh Laa-ee RiDh Aakhaa Aa-o, Gupat Pargat Ho-ay Baisaa Lok Raakhai Bhaa-o, Mat Daykh Bhoolaa Veesrai Tayraa Chit Na Aavai Naa-o.

If I were to become a Siddha, and work miracles, summon wealth and become invisible and visible at will, so that people would hold me in awe - seeing these, I might go astray and forget You, and Your Name would not enter into my mind. -----Guru Nanak, Siri Raag, AGGS, Page, 14-6

Bhagat Namdev comments on the power of saints in Raag Sarang;

ਦਾਸ ਅਨਿੰਨ ਮੇਰੋ ਨਿਜ ਰੂਪ ॥ਦਰਸਨ ਨਿਮਖ ਤਾਪ ਤ੍ਰਈ ਮੋਚਨ ਪਰਸਤ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਕਰਤ ਗ੍ਰਿਹ ਕੂਪ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ਮੇਰੀ ਬਾਂਧੀ ਭਗਤੁ ਛਡਾਵੈ ਬਾਂਧੈ ਭਗਤੁ ਨ ਛੂਟੈ ਮੋਹਿ॥ਏਕ ਸਮੈ ਮੋ ਕਉ ਗਹਿ ਬਾਂਧੈ ਤਉ ਫੁਨਿਮੋਪੈ ਜਬਾਬੁ ਨ ਹੋਇ ॥

Ḏās aninn mero nij rūp.Ḏarsan nimakẖ ṯāp ṯar▫ī mocẖan parsaṯ mukaṯ karaṯ garih kūp. ||1|| rahā▫o.Meri Bandhi Bhagat Chadave Baandeh Bhagat Na Chooteh Moeh, Ek Samea Mo Kaou Geh Bandeh Taou Foun Mo Pea Jabab Na Hoey.

The sight of him, even for an instant, cures the three fevers; his touch brings liberation from the deep dark pit of household affairs. ||1||Pause|| The sight of him, even for an instant, cures the three fevers; his touch brings liberation from the deep dark pit of household affairs. The devotee can release anyone from God’s bondage, but God cannot release anyone from his. If, at any time, he grabs and binds me, even then, God cannot protest.-----Bhagat Namdev, Raag Sarang, AGGS, Page, 1252 & 53

Virinder S. Grewal

Williamston, MI

Govind

SPNer
Feb 5, 2008
Sat Sri Akaal Ji,
the Athaarah Sidis are gifts given to us by Waheguru. when someone begins his journey towards receiving Naam, Waheguru blesses the individual with these athaarah Sidhiyan, 1 at a time. the point of these sidhis is to "test" the Gurmukh. will stop at the sidhis, will the sidhis tempt him so much as to stay at that level? or will the Gurmukh stop at nothing? the sidhis are like a test, the test purpose is to filter the greedy from the selfless.a true 'sant' or Sikh will not even once show any of these Sidhis. Most Hindu pandits will stop at the Sidhi of forteling the Future and recalling the past, so they make a living out of it. If you ever meet a so called 'Sant', ask yourself if he exhibits any of these Sidhis, if he does, then chances are that he is a parkhand. Sidhis are phandaars, treasures that are not to be shown to anyone. take for example Guru Teg Bahadur Sahib ji Maharaj, he accepted death than exhibit his Sidhis on 'command' of Aurangzeb. So if any of you out there have a sidhi, keep it to yourself and concentrate only on receiving Naam. while it may be fun flying around or fun astral travelling, its ANAND in NAAM.

Feb 19, 2007
Delhi India
I fully agree with you Govind Ji

However we do come across people approaching a Gurmukh Sant to do ardas to Akal Purakh to get relief from some suffering. It may be some illness of self or loved one or severe financial crisis.

Sant ji after cosidering the genuiness of the problem may do the Ardas in open Sangat pleading to Akal Purakh to give relief but submitting that His Hukam is supreme. So as a result of this Ardas if the person gets relief, it would not have been because of the Sidhi of Sant ji but because of the will of Akal Purakh.

Hence obviously this diffrent from use of Sidhis.

Gurufateh

Govind

SPNer
Feb 5, 2008
Sorry, but i find it funny that none of you believe in the existance of Spiritual powers. if these did not exist, how did Baba Atal Rai bring his friend back to life, how did Guru Nanak dev ji stop the rock...the list goes on....
ਨਵ ਨਿਧੀ ਅਠਾਰਹ ਸਿਧੀ ਪਿਛੈ ਲਗੀਆ ਫਿਰਹਿ ਜੋ ਹਰਿ ਹਿਰਦੈ ਸਦਾ ਵਸਾਇ ॥
ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਅਸਟ ਸਿਧੀ ਸਭਿ ਬੁਧੀ ॥

however it is important to note that the sidhis when obtained must not deflect the need for Naam. please for all of you who are still in doubt about Sidhi go to this link and look up Shabads dealing with Sidhi,
Sri Granth: Search Results
WJKK WJKF

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Slightly on a tangent, forgive me. But my reading of Harbhansj ji's reply is centered on his understanding that, whether there are supernatural powers or not, our focus should be on His Hukam.

Else we substitute our understanding for His, our wisdom for His, our power for His, our will for His.

So that makes the having of or belief in supernatural powers tangential in importance to our connection to Ik Oankar -- maybe I am not understanding.

May 23, 2009
Gur Fateh to All,
I strongly agree with those who believe that there are no ridhis and sidhis in Gurmat.Just because there are numerous references to them in Guru Granth Sahib does not mean they exist.The Gurus and Bhagats used these metaphors:Narak-Surag(heaven and hell),Chaurassi- lakh Joon,bhoot pret etc, ridhis ,sidhis and nidhis because these were the current beliefs of those times
and the gurus sought to explode the hollowness of these myths by proffering people the scientific and spiritual benefits of Naam Simran. Bhai Kahan Singh Nabha writes in Gurmat Martand:
Satgurs' spiritual powers transformed the evil-doers into kind hearted , atheists into believers,lazybones into persons of action,casteists into servants of their people.
What is kraamaat? Guru Amardas Ji tells us:
bin naavai painan khaan sabh baad hai Dhig siDhee Dhig karmaat.
Without the Name, all food and clothes are worthless; cursed is such spirituality, and cursed are such miraculous powers.
sw isiD sw krmwiq hY AicMqu kry ijsu dwiq ]
(650-7, soriT, mÚ 3)
saa siDh saa karmaat hai achint karay jis daat.
That alone is spirituality, and that alone is miraculous power, which the Carefree Lord spontaneously bestows.
nwnk gurmuiK hir nwmu min vsY eyhw isiD eyhw krmwiq ]2] (650-7, soriT, mÚ 3)
naanak gurmukh har naam man vasai ayhaa siDh ayhaa karmaat. ||2||
O Nanak, the Lord's Name abides in the mind of the Gurmukh; this is spirituality, and this is miraculous power. ||2||(page650)

As sikhs, we are only concerned with following the teachings enshirned in Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj.As for the veracity of many sakhis there are still many unanswered questions. If, what the sakhis portray conflicts with the Guru,s message I would choose the latter.Thanks.
Respectfully,Satnam Singh Randhawa
A beautiful article on Kraamaats in Sikh Marg:
Kraammati Cartoonan di Amar Vel a-dher Vi by Sardar Avtar Singh Missionary

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Randip Singh ji,

Guru Fateh.

I agree with you. Gurbani teaches us that there is nothing called Super- Natural but Nature is Super.

Tejwant Singh

To the caveman fire was super natural.

The average human probably uses less than 30% of their brain.

The Guru's probably used 100%. To the ordinary man anything the Guru's did would be super-natural.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Sorry, but i find it funny that none of you believe in the existance of Spiritual powers. if these did not exist, how did Baba Atal Rai bring his friend back to life, how did Guru Nanak dev ji stop the rock...the list goes on....

however it is important to note that the sidhis when obtained must not deflect the need for Naam. please for all of you who are still in doubt about Sidhi go to this link and look up Shabads dealing with Sidhi,
Sri Granth: Search Results
WJKK WJKF

I take it those stories are written in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji?

Any Sakhi written about the Guru's were written some 100 years after the demise of the last Guru. A lot can happen in 100 years.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Slightly on a tangent, forgive me. But my reading of Harbhansj ji's reply is centered on his understanding that, whether there are supernatural powers or not, our focus should be on His Hukam.

Else we substitute our understanding for His, our wisdom for His, our power for His, our will for His.

So that makes the having of or belief in supernatural powers tangential in importance to our connection to Ik Oankar -- maybe I am not understanding.

Well if a sparrow can challenge a hawk and jackals can become lions, is that not TRULY super-natural?

May 24, 2008
Well if a sparrow can challenge a hawk and jackals can become lions, is that not TRULY super-natural?
I agree with u 100% Randip Ji , so much said in so little words . The biggest Karamaat ( Miracle ) our Gurus did was to make lions & kings out of those persons who had been called ' LOW- CASTES' or OUTCASTES by Indian system for about 3200 years . They were so low on self-esteem that they could not believe that they were even capable of doing even small things like holding a sword in their hands . IMHO we should try to take people away from so-called miracles & try to stress on what great achievements our forefathers achieved , sacrifices they made & their belief in Gurus , SGGS & Gurbani . Let us try to teach our current generation what Gurbani teaches us . HOW TO LEAD A LIFE OF PERPETUAL BLISS WHILE LIVING IN THIS WORLD .

Feb 19, 2007
Delhi India
Posted by Narayanjot ji

Narayanjot ji,

In my humble opinion, your understanding is correct.

Jul 27, 2009
PUNJAB(CHANDIGARH)
Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh,

Randip singh ji u r ready to believe 'story' written in 'Shri Guru Granth Sahib' but you r not believing the 'Bachan' about the sidhis :

Govind

SPNer
Feb 5, 2008
Sat Sri Akaal Sangat Ji,
while most of you do not believe in Ridhi or Sidhi, i certainly believe that it does exist. here is why...
Naam can not be obtained instantly. it is a gradual process. please understand that Ridhi, Sidhi, Nidhi are all created by Waheguru. they are gifted to man as they progress towards Naam. their purpose is to hinder progress towards Naam. sort of like obstacles and temptations. Naam is the greatest gift and treasure. so it is only common sense that such a treasure will not come easy to those who are seeking it. that is why it is constantly stated In Dhan Dhan Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji that ridhi, sidhi and nidhi are useless. They exist but are useless. meaning that our aim should be only Naam, nothing else, nothing lower.
so while ridhi, 18 sidhi and 9 nidhi exist, they are inferior to Naam. Naam is the greatest Ridhi, the greatest Sidhi and the greatest Nidhi. so it is the ultimate treasure.
ridhi, sidhi and nidhi are NOT the goal of Sikhi, Naam is, that is why ridhi, sidhi and nidhi have been given such a low status.
when the Hindus receive these 'obstructions',they stopped there (progress towards Naam) and began showing off 'their powers'...
The nine treasures and the eighteen spiritual powers of the Siddhas follow him, who keeps the Lord enshrined in his heart.

here is a quotation from Gurbaani, ang 941 explaining that Gurmukhs will receive the sidhis on their way up to Naam...

The Gurmukh obtains the eight miraculous spiritual powers, and all wisdom.

and for those of you who said that the Gurus did not have Any spiritual powers and who refuse to accept sakhis about the Guru, here is a quotation from Gurbaani from ang 1392 saying that Siri Guru Naanak Dev Ji Maharaj confered the Sidhis upon siri Guru Angad Dev Ji

ਤਿਤੁ ਨਾਮਿ ਰਸਿਕੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਲਹਣਾ ਥਪਿਓ ਜੇਨ ਸ੍ਰਬ ਸਿਧੀ

Nanak delighted in the Naam; He established Lehnaa as Guru, who was imbued with all supernatural spiritual powers.
please read the folllowing Shabad (at the given link) and understand the message of the Guru regarding Sidhi and Naam and the Guru

http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.gurbani?Action=KeertanPage&K=1392&L=18&id=59289

Bhool chuck maaf karni,
govind singh

Last edited by a moderator:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
There are "FAILURES" as well as "PASSES"...( In EDUCATION..as well as LIFE..)
Its spurious logic to say that no one can "PASS" at first attempt...that he needs to "FAIL" a few times first...
Just because there are "failures" around us...so what we do..do we INDULGE..worry endlessly about them ??..or we go straight towards SUCCESS...PASS !!
Ridhis sidhis etc are the FAILURES on the Path towards NAAM ATTAINMENT...the REPEATS..or those who RE-APPEAR....the straight minded DISREGARD all such WAYWARD Magic tricks..and follow the paath to naam attainment without batting an eyelid...
A teacher who keeps on harping on existance of "failures"....is a uselss teacher...as far as he is concerned as is our GURU JI..the SGGS...we have only one GOAL..SUCCESS !! FOCUS ON SUCCESS..and SUCCESS..and SUCCESS ONLY. PERIOD. Life is SHORT.:whisling::whisling::whisling:

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom

Randip singh ji u r ready to believe 'story' written in 'Shri Guru Granth Sahib' but you r not believing the 'Bachan' about the sidhis :

If I am happy with Bani and the miracle of nature (God's creation), please tell me wht I will gain by believing in super-natural powers, occult and other things like this?

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan
Dear All,

It is of value that all members are requested to read and understand the dialogue between Guru Nanak and Gorakh Nath (Guru of the Sidhas) who tried to seduce Guru Nanak with their magic/supernatural powers/ 18 Sidhi by transferring water in to jewels and rubies. Guru Nanak was asked to bring a bucket of water from the river thinking that he will become greedy but he came back empty handed saying there is no water in the river. Giani Ji has down loaded all the 73 santanzas of the dialogue known as Sidh-Gost, wehich can be located in the archives of the forum. Here is one line reference;

੩੦ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਅਸਟ ਸਿਧੀ ਸਭਿ ਬੁਧੀ
||30||Gurmuk asat siḏẖī sab buḏẖī.

||30|| The Guru willed obtains the eight miraculous spiritual powers, and all wisdom.-----Guru Nanak, Raag Ramkali (Sidh Gost) AGGS, Page, 941-12

Cordially,

Virinder

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.

Randip singh ji, Its not all about gaining or lossing.

The only thing matters, We should believe in "Shri Guru Granth Sahib JI".

Amandeep ji,

Guru Fateh.

I beg to differ with you regarding [We should believe in "Shri Guru Granth Sahib JI"].

Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is to take the belief and dogmas out and allow the pragmatism in. It is a tool box that makes us burst out of our self created bubbles and cocoons if we learn to use the tools properly.

Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is a step by step manual for us to breed goodness within so that we can share that with others.

Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji challenges us and many times elbows us so that we can awaken ourselves from sleepwalking.

As Guru Amardas challenges us by looking straight into our eyes in Anand Sahib," eh sareerah mereiah, es jug mein ayei kei, kia tud Karam kamaya"

"Hey, person, what kind of footprints are you planning to leave on this speck of sand called the Earth before departing?"

So, Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is not about believing and nor is it about only feeling good by just reading it and singing it but doing good which can only happen by studying and understanding it which in return would breed the desire, willingness and motivation to perform good deeds, what Guru Nanak calls , Truthful living.

Tejwant Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: