• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Dukh Bhanjani Sahib Paath

Aug 17, 2009
Could anyone please share information about DukhBhanjani Sahib. I am doing the Paath however am not aware of the history and who has assembled the shabads and formed this beautiful composition.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
faujasingh ji

If you are doing the paath you can see that all parts of Dukh Bhanjani Sahib are begun with mehala 5. That means Guru Arjan Dev. The Guru's shabads are all numbered accordingly. Mehala 1 through 5, the Mehala 9.

The key to its origins lies in 5th Nanak's prayer of thanks to the Satguru for sparing the life of Har Gobind, and restoring his health. Hargobind was to become the 6th Guru Hargobind Dev and as a child endured small pox.

In these these places;

1. Page620 Line 7 Raag Sorith: Guru Arjan Dev

ਸਦਾ ਅਨੰਦ ਕਰਹ ਮੇਰੇ ਪਿਆਰੇ ਹਰਿ ਗੋਵਿਦੁ ਗੁਰਿ ਰਾਖਿਆ ॥
sadhaa anandh kareh maerae piaarae har govidh gur raakhiaa ||
So celebrate and be happy, my beloveds - the Guru has saved Hargobind.

2. Page620 Line 17 Raag Sorith: Guru Arjan Dev

ਧਾਰਿ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਹਾਥ ਦੇ ਰਾਖਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਗੋਵਿਦੁ ਨਵਾ ਨਿਰੋਆ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
dhhaar kirapaa prabh haathh dhae raakhiaa har govidh navaa niroaa ||1|| rehaao ||
Showering us with His Mercy and Grace, God extended His Hand, and saved Hargobind, who is now safe and secure. ||1||Pause||

The deliverance from fever and disease is image that is embedded everywhere in the Dukh Bhanjani. The fever, all disease, all pain, all fear, all doubt is dispelled and this happens because of the True Guru, whose mercy and grace restores everything to peace and health. So the story of deliverance from physical pain and fever and disease of young Hargobind forms the basis for understanding deliverance from spiritual pain and return to spiritual wellness. There are many places in the Dukh Bhanjani where we are also reminded that the path to finding union with the Satguru was not easy for Guru Arjan Dev. His was not "instant" sehaj. This is reflected in other parts of his Bani including Shabad Hazoore. It was at first difficult and then he "got it." Dukh Bhanjani echoes everywhere that trust overcomes doubt and that eventually submission to the Satguru heals all pain and suffering and restores peace tand wellness o the home of our own heart.:)

Hardip Singh

SPNer
Jan 14, 2009
This whole concept of Dukhbhanjani Sahib is not at all as per Sikhi or SGGS ji. This collection was compiled by various Babas and Deradars from SGGS ji in colision with some greedy publishers, just to make a fool of the innocent Sikhs who were coming to all these Baba jees for their 'Dukhs' or problems. Any shabad which had just a minor reference to any particular problem , were put in this collection. Then they were advised to do so much so number of paths of this shabad from this collection or the whole lot even and miracles will happen and your problem is going to be over or solved.

It has been clearly established from our various discussions on this forum that parroting of any particular word or Bani or Shabad is not going to give us the desired results.. But, we can minimise our sorrows or problems only by following the dictates of our Gurus in true letter and spirit, as described in SGGS ji.

May 24, 2008
WHOLE OF GURBANI IS DUKHBHANJANI SAHIB . Reading a particular Shabad or collection of Shabads to dispel some sorrow is not Gurmat way . IMHO Dukhbhanjani Sahib is the outcome of misleading & delibrate twisting by so called Sants , Babas , Brahmgianis of REAL ESSENCE of Gurbani which is to LIVE IN & ABIDE BY HIS HUKAM . Sorrow & pleasures r two sides of same coin , a REAL GURMUKH has got the strength to treat both of them alike . Does not get distressed in sorrows & does not get swayed in plaesures . These Dukhbhanjani Sahibs are just the perfect recipes to get a Sikh away from Gurmat into Brahminical ways . Chanting Mantras in false hopes of attaining MAN MANGI MURAAD ( Heart's wish ) . Gurbani does not support such ways .

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Dalbirk ji and Hardip ji

You are 100 percent on the mark in your remarks. I did not bring that point up -- that there is a kind of aura of a scam surrounding the Dukh Bhanjani Sahib ji. Apologies for not doing that. It is in fact all over the Internet that paath of these bani starts up and a lot of people are roped into thinking that continuous recitation of it will cure every evil. It should not be treated as if it had magical powers. I hope it was clear that I limited my comments to who wrote the Bani - Guru Arjan Dev - and what the significance of that Bani was in his life. Forgive any offense. It was unintentional.

Aug 17, 2009
excellent explanation Dalibirk ji What I wanted to know was when has this come into existance ? who's compilation would this have been ? I understand that 5th mehla is Guru Arjan devji's composition of course. Lets see what more info comes out.

Even if it is a compilations by some people we need to understand that the Saloks are a part of our Gurbani and we cannot direspect Bani. I am not against such compilations since it is man's nature to look for solace. Man worships in the way he is comfortable so as long as the Bani is not altered and this is exactly Guruji's Bani then its all fine.

We curse such people who have compiled the saloks however we at the same time disregard editing of Bani by today's so called 'scholars'.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
So faujasingh ji

Are you asking who was the first person to put the bani of Guru Arjan Dev together to create the paath of Dukh Bhanjani Sahib? I missed your point. The question should be something that can be answered by a historian of Sikh Scripture. One place to start might be the admin of either SriGranth or Search Gurbani. Worth giving it a try.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Its done by the BOOKSELLERS. Period.

The Printing and distribution of Gurbani, SGGS Birs, Teekas, etc etc etc was all the MONOPOLY of a few BOOKSELLERS and PUBLISHERS ONLY. Bazaar Mai Sevaan in Amrtisar..has books of these for sale..its a street of BOOKS. Apart from sikh history, these people also engage in Marketing stretegies..to SELL GURBANI in various ways..hence we have various GUTKAS.."GURBANI REMIXES"....some having short rehrass( for the SGPC SRM followers)..other having long rehrass (for damdmai taksalis and other dera followers)..soem have this shabad added and that shabad removed..etc etc..something like different BRANDS of toothpaste...soem for white teetth..soem for whiter teeth..some for even whiter teeth..some for bad breath..etc etc...even TODAY these types of Gutkas and books of tall tales to sideline and sidetrack Sikhs coentinue to eb printed and sold by these booksellers. GURBANI SELLING IS BIG BUSINESS..has been for a century at least...for many booksellers...
With the coming of the INTERNET and COMPUTER AGE..many poeple are FREE of the Monopoly of the PRINTING PRESS...but this also means many many more arm chair Gurbani REMIXES are on the loose...they sit at home and churn out Gutkas with special shabads for special remedies...

GURBANI IS SPIRITUAL FOOD FOR the Mann..to CURE the INNER SPIRIT of its ILLS of greed , lobh, hankaar, kaam etc..the FIVE THIEVES...and IF we can "USE" the Dukh Bhanjani shabds as DUKH BREAKERS ( and say that Guru Arjun ji wrote them for Hargobind Ji..his son's safety/wellbeing )..then why do we shy away from the shabads that hew rote in which He says..DOSH na kahoon debvohn..Tera bahnna meetha laggeh while sitting on the Hot Plate !! We PICK and CHOOSE..while Guru Arjun ji is 100% BALANCED...when His son is cured..he is THANKFUL...when Guru Arjun ji is seated on the hot plate;he is again THANKFUL....BUT How about US ?? we are HYPOCRITES...most of the time. WE want SUKH..but not dukh....and the TRUTH is BOTH Sukh and Dukh coem form the SAME CREATOR and are HIS GIFTS..for which we must be THANKFUL as Guru Arjun Ji IS. PERIOD.
So this DUKHBHANJANI COLLECTION of Gurbani shabads is a MISREPRESENTATION of the OBJECTIVE of GURBANI and an insult to its philosophy. READ and UNDERSTAND the shabads and APPLY them. ( Simple analogy..whenever we make any changes to our computer...we have to click "APPLY" or all the changes are lost !! SAME for Gurbani..without clicking "APPLY" the entire exercise is in FUTILITY.:welcome:

Feb 19, 2007
Delhi India
Well said Gyaniji.
But I am also sure that you must be familiar with the realities of India. There are millions of families with very limited means stretching themselves to the limit for survival. With that they provide for daily needs, for illness, for education and more often than not have hopelessness staring them in the face. Most of the children are likely to grow up and be doing nothing.
I am sure that you do empathise with them.
So is there anything seriously wrong if such persons use crutches or supports to try to climb on to the pedestal of chardi kalan? Is not the journey in Sikhism a step by step experience as very eloquently put by Narayanjot ji in another thread?
Not all Sants or Babas are frauds. I know a few of them. Some were very close and trusted associates of Bhai Vir Singh ji and who have contributed enormously by pulling up such hopelessly placed families step by step. Yes, they did advise them to recite Japji sahib, Chaupayi Sahib, Dukhbanjani Sahib etc as per the situation of the particular person.
Just yesterday in another thread, on the effect of placebos, we had discussed that Naam Simran has an equal if not greater effect. Tejwant ji also the related the beneficial effect some inspirational shabads have on him.
So Naam Simran and Gurus Shabads do create positive psychic effects which in turn triggers beneficial neurological biochemical reactions which induces positive vibrations in the person.
Therefore lets not frighten and drive away persons who have faith in Gurbani into the laps of charlatans who hand out charms and practice magic, by unrealistically expecting them to reach the highest level of Sikhism ideals in one go.
We must understand that reality of life is much more complex, more so in India

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
HarbansJ24 Ji,

I personally met a amrtidharee woman at Takhat damdama sahib in 2005. She was at the side of the Sarovar...and looked very very sad. I talked to her briefly and it turned out that she had been having a tough life with a drug addict abusive husband...unrelenting abusive mother in law who never blamed her son for anything, her daughter had passed away due to a fever and no money to buy medicine. She approached the Pujarees at the Takhat..they advised..so many Japji Sahibs will do the trick...after having done that and no results..they advised perhaps so many sukhmani shaibs will help...so many Chaupaii Sahibs..and so many..so many.... in another sarovar at a different Gurdwara where the sevadaar told her she must do so many Japji shaibs standing in the cold water at midnight..last i heard a woman was found floating in a sarovar...she could be the one...BECAUSE Japji Sahibs NEVER cured any drug addict husband, alcoholic husband, out of kehai children, out of control daughters etc. Telling such people to "recite" so many Japjis..is like the Doctor telling his emergency patient to..go for a few rounds around the city park...and return later...and then be told to go to have a holiday in Sri nagar Kashmir..and come back if still suffering from heart attack !!

In my personal capacity I do get so many such requests. The PARENTS obviously NEGLECTED their responsibilities...and when their chidlren begin skipping school, find dubious boyfriends/girlfriends...begin drinking womansiisng etc..they come running to me..Gyani Ji ARDASS KARO...parshaad karo..Paath karo..or TELL US..How many Japjis to do ?? oh ik veran baba ji ne falaneee bibi nu keha see 101 japjis kar..usdee kurree theek ho gayee..aaj viaheeyee hoee hai..baal bacha hai..sadee kurre nu wee theek kardo.....

IS GURBANI a PLACEBO ?? Placebos cure PHYSICAL DISEASES that are the result of MENTAL STRESS. a Placebo can NEVER bring back a Diabetic's cut foot..or a lost eye ???

Chardee Kalla comes FROM JEEWAN !! APPLICATION of GURBANI !!

A mail making the rounds of the Internet decribes how the son of a Catholic PRIEST..was so IMPRESSED by the REAL LIFE of a SIKH GRANTHI...that he Became a SIKH..a Model SIKH !! THAT is spreading CHARDEE KALLA BY EXAMPLE..as the Gurus did..the singhs of old did...they LIVED GURBANI. Period.
Life is hectic, complex..everywhere..not just in India...its a myth that Dollars /Pounds hang on trees in UK or Canada..or they Grow like Grass just waiting to be picked up..in Fact LIVING in a Challenged position is more likely to produce a good man...the BEST STEEL is not made in a lukewarm bhatthhee...its made in the HOTTEST FIRE- thats why INDIA has produced the largest number of Spiritually Great Men - Punjab had 10 Guru Nanak Jyot...which other country had such a big number in a continous stream in short time period ??

I have personally contributed towards the rehabilitation (pulling back out of clutches of fraud baabas) of seven families in Punjab since 2005. ALL were ardent RECITERS of Japji sahib/chaupaii/sukhmani etc BUT Firmly entrenched in their own Pet BABA JI as the GREATEST as well. One family was willing to die for Sant Isher singh rarewallah..another staunch nanaksariahs...another was dead set for dhadrianwallah. The Common thing was..GURU GRANTH is SECOND..Baba JI is FIRST !!..HE TALKS..he gives advise on crops, children education..husband addiction problems etc etc..while the SGGS is FOR READING ONLY. THESE were SINGHS of the BABAS and NOT SGGS./GURU GOBIND SINGH Ji...on the surface they wore banna kirpans, recited nitnem etc..BUT FAITH in SGGS..came far second to baba JI !!! NOW they are rehabilitated..and since 2007 none of them ever mentioned their Baba ji again except for SGGS ONLY. (and they stopped reading the other Punjabi papers Ajit and Jagbani and began to subscribe to Rozana Spokesman). Another family that i failed to convince has given their FOUR SONS..all grown UP...to a MUSLIM PIR baba, Baba at Beas, another in malwa somewhere..and one to a smadh in sultanpur lodhi dist. WHILE many in Punajb would give anything for a SON..this man donated hisi FOUR SONS..to the RUBBISH HEAP !! On his death he will donate his 8 acres land to Beas. He is an "amrtidaree" wears kirpan etc and recites the Nitnem banis daily and sukhmani shaib at least ten times...He took me on a special tour of the places (deras) where he donated his sons...to convince ME that he is right..these Babas are all powerful..while the SGGS is silent book.
So YES JI..I do have some finger on the pulse of Punjab..and its REALITY...the 99% of Amrtidharees..are actually HOLLOW INSIDE...they are sikhs of their own Babas...very very few are really sikhs of SGGS 100%.

Aug 17, 2009
Very well said Gyani ji and I personally thank you this great seva you have done. I know of a amritdhari collegue who's family got into the beas waale influence and he had then cut his kesh. This man even went to the level of discussing with another muslim collegue of ours, the 'bad effects' of keeping kesh and tying the pag !!!. 'Bas**rd* !

The work you personally are doing is really good. The prob is with the mentality of such beings. I have met people of the white race belivers of Voodoo and Vicca ! This kind of thinking is growing everywhere.

Gyani ji what i think is as long as you follow the Bani without personal alterations from anyone it is fine. I have personally experienced the effects of doing the Paath of Sukhmani Sahib. Some people benifit others may have other things to say.

What I feel it is ok to have compiled Banis in a form like DukhBhanjani Sahib. As Long As This is revealed. This is not advertised in the name of the Gurus or any Bhagats.

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
What I feel it is ok to have compiled Banis in a form like DukhBhanjani Sahib.

And then when after the passage of another 100 years, we will have another Granth, on the lines of Dasam Granth, ready to replace of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, as only this collection of Gurbani is good for your personal benefit rest of the Gurbani does not have any benefit for you, so we can discard it... :advocate:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Aman ji

Thanks for pointing out a potential difficulty, which I missed completely. I have a concern. It is puzzling to me that the well known Gurbani site Rag Karega Khalsa includes Dukh Bhanjani Sahib in its collection of Gurbani/Sikh Prayers. After reading this thread from start to finish I am left wondering why they would do that. Another concern comes from the title -- "Sahib" is the last word. How is it that Dukh Bhanjani would end with Sahib when it is a compilation of raags that were assembled later in our history by individuals who were not either Gurus or members of the committee who wrote the Sikh Rehat Maryada. This situation has the look of a creeping vine that invades everywhere in garden and even the house. Left pondering and without answers. :8-:)

Aug 17, 2009
Thats why I say " As long as this is revealed" . The compilation if revealed will not do any replacements however with correct references given will give rise to inquisitiveness in a person's mind. He might want to read the complete Bani rather than compilation.

There is this line in the Salok what is more of an inspiration for me and the urge to read more Bani grows in me:

"
a-ukhaDh mantar tant sabh chhaar.
All medicines and remedies, mantras and tantras are nothing more than ashes.
karnaihaar riday meh Dhaar. ||3||
Enshrine the Creator Lord within your heart. ||3||
taj sabh bharam bhaji-o paarbarahm.
Renounce all your doubts, and vibrate upon the Supreme Lord God
kaho naanak atal ih Dharam. ||4||80||149||
Says Nanak, this path of Dharma is eternal and unchanging.

Feb 19, 2007
Delhi India
Gyaniji,

Agreed 99% of Sants are fake but still there are 1% who are genuine followers of SGGS and ask the Sangat to have faith only in SGGS. They also ask the Sangat to do Nitnem and in addition recite Sukhmani sahib. SGGS repeatedly says that doing Simran is one of the foremost tasks of this Janam. So if 1% of Sants (the genuine ones) prescribe recitation of some Shabads, what is wrong with that? They also give a rider "Aghe Jive Guru nu bhave" (Rest is upto the Guru)

SGGS puts genuine Sants on a very high pedestal. The whole of Ashtpadi 13 of Sukhmani Sahib dissuades us from doing Ninda of Genuine Sants and tells about the beneficial effects of their company. Many other passages of SGGS say the same thing.

So lets not wholesale reject the role of genuine Sants in Sikhism. That itself will be going against SGGS!

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Dukh Bhanjani Sahib "Gutka" is like making snake oil of this beautiful Gurbani and peddling to the individuals for their individual " needs". It is shame to notice that the care takers of Sikhi have made Gurbani into some illusionary black magic where all desires can be fulfilled by just parroting this beautiful poetry, rather than showing them the ways how to open this wonderful tool box and use the tools for the betterment of one's life.

This is very insulting to our Gurus' vision and to their efforts.

Tejwant Singh

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Tejwant ji

Why do you think that a web site like www.ragkaregakhalsa.com has included Dukh Bhanjani Sahib among its gurbani files. After thinking through this conversation, it seems strange to me.

Narayanjot ji,

It is more because of a long tradition, fear of what may happen as if Ik Ong Kaar is a punisher if one does not do Dukh Bhanjani paath as instructed by elders of the household and lack of deep understanding of Gurbani which makes the Gurmat thought process a bit shallow and last but not the least, -it does not matter or there is no harm kind of Punjabi mentality.

We always had Dukh Bhanjani Sahib's gutkas at our house and several of them and were urged to do it.

When one puts all this in Punjabi cultural gumbo, then there is no thinking required and the things continue as mere mechanical rituals rooted in family traditions where elders have the power and are always "right".

Tejwant Singh

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Harbans ji,

Guru Fateh.

You write:

SGGS puts genuine Sants on a very high pedestal. The whole of Ashtpadi 13 of Sukhmani Sahib dissuades us from doing Ninda of Genuine Sants and tells about the beneficial effects of their company. Many other passages of SGGS say the same thing.

So lets not wholesale reject the role of genuine Sants in Sikhism. That itself will be going against SGGS!
The question arises who are the Sants? SGGS, our ONLY Guru tells us that all of us are capable of being Sants. Secondly, there is no pedestal for any Sikh. We are all equal in the "eyes" of Ik Ong Kaar. Our Gurus never put themselves on any pedestal. They were our mates as SGGS is now.

Guru Gobind Singh ji lowered himself down to our level so we could be lifted to his through Khandei di Pahul.

So, Sants are not of some class on their own. Who is a genuine Sant and who is not, if measured by the human's benchmark, then it becomes a very subjective thing. The same person can be a genuine Sant for some and a real Thug for others.

Only Ik Ong Kaar knows which milestone each of us is at no matter how long some of ours cholas are.

The best part of Gurbani is that it gives the tools to all of us to raise our level of normalcy and become lotuses raising ourselves out of the muck of maya. Hence, all of us are capable of that.

Lastly, when Gurbani talks about Sants, Brahamgyanis etc. etc.,it attaches these people with their actions and deeds, which means these are not any titles/nouns but adjectives which require the continuous actions of goodness.

In other words, a spring of water ceases to be a spring when the water dries up and then, it just becomes one more hole in the ground.

Nothing more but one more insignificant hole.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: