• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Doc: Satwant Wanted To Know Indira's Injuries

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Doc: Satwant wanted to know Indira's injuries

http://epaper. hindustantimes. com/ArticleText. aspx?article= 29_03_2010_ 002_015&kword=&mode=1

Former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi's killer Satwant Singh was curious to know how many bullet injuries she had suf- fered, claims the AIIMS medico who carried out the post-mortem on her body that suffered 30 such fatal wounds. Dr T.D. Dogra, who is now Head of the Forensic Department at AIIMS, was Assistant Professor when he was deputed to carry out the post-mortem along with two other experts.

Dogra came face-to-face with Singh while deposing before the trial court as a prosecution witness, he said.

During recess, he went to the toilet where he met Singh. An unrepentant Satwant Singh had said in a satirical tone, “I am sorry Doctor for the troubles you are facing because of me,“ according to Dogra.

He asked Dr Dogra in Hindi heavy with Punjabi accent, “How many bullet injuries did she receive?“ He did not get any reply from the medico.

Dr Dogra recalled the moments of this brief inter- action with Satwant, who along with Beant Singh had pumped in 30 bullets.

Beant Singh was shot by security guards after the assassination, while Satwant Singh, who had received 10 bullet injuries, was arrested.

Satwant was sentenced to death along with anoth- er accomplice Kehar Singh, which was carried out on January 6, 1989 in Tihar Jail.

“Initially, I knew through a policeman that she had been brought to AIIMS after being shot. I received a call to conduct the post-mortem at 2.30 pm on October 31, 1984. I was accompanied by Dr D.V. Saharan and Dr P.C.
Dixit,“ he said.

According to the post- mortem report prepared by him, the death of the then Prime Minister result- ed from excessive bleeding caused by bullet injuries.

“The assailants had fired 31 bullets at her, of which 30 had hit; 23 had passed through her body while seven were trapped inside.

The rib-cage was ruptured, a portion of the liver was missing, the diaphragm was pierced by bullets,“ Dr Dogra said.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM