• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Do You Ever Feel Completely Disconnected?

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
I think this phrase from the Christian Bible sums up what we are trying to say; it also dovetails beautifully with the miri-piri concept. "Be in the world, but not of the world." I have been a small-time social activist for over 50 years, and this is one lesson a very wise woman taught me about how to avoid burn-out when I was just starting out.

"If you want to last at this, you need to learn how to face everything, see everything, care about everything, without taking it into yourself. Like water off a duck's back." In other words, remain internally disconnected with the world of maya. Some people think me cold because of the lack of emotion I show over horrendous things. No. I'm not cold. I am surviving to fight again tomorrow.

Ik drisht means seeing everything everything with a single vision. Everything and everyones God and all is Karam so being unphased by everything is good.

But to teach and help is great, there's a lot of work to be done.

Last edited:

RD1

Writer
SPNer
Sep 25, 2016
nothing should be taken too seriously- its just a game to discover Truth

I struggle with comprehending this concept. I get what is meant by saying everything is just a game, and nothing should be taken so seriously - its like we should accept things as they are, as they come. But isn't taking nothing seriously a contradiction to the part of Sikhi that emphasizes to fight against injustice? If everything is just a game, then why should we care about innocent people being killed, people who are starving, and other wrongs being committed...that our own Gurus stood up to fight against?

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK
I struggle with comprehending this concept. I get what is meant by saying everything is just a game, and nothing should be taken so seriously - its like we should accept things as they are, as they come. But isn't taking nothing seriously a contradiction to the part of Sikhi that emphasizes to fight against injustice? If everything is just a game, then why should we care about innocent people being killed, people who are starving, and other wrongs being committed...that our own Gurus stood up to fight against?
I agree with you to a certain extent.. I think that the expression is used to easily sometimes and can lead to people using as a way to simplify. (however I am not suggesting Sikhilove used it in such a context) the problem I have with it is that it leans towards a acceptance of fate, and life as predestined, it's a poetic concept which can be expressed to describe the paradoxical nature of existence. However in some ways by adopting the expression we are buying into the idea that existence is some kind of cosmic joke.. Yet we in the sikh tradition are warned of believing that the world is as should be.

Fantastic area of concepts to explore further!

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016

Hi

I understand what you're saying. I remember reading a story that said that after a battle, the wife of one of the Hindu avatars went to the battlefield. She was spiritually gifted and in the realisation that life is a khel, she bought soliders back to life.

Satguru Gobind Singh Ji said regarding his sons, that they were never his to begin with so why would he be upset that they were taken from him. Guru Ji was calm and peaceful while being tortured.

In this test world, yes we fight against injustice and yes we stand for goodness, humility, and all that's right. At the same time, we have to live in knowledge that it's a khel, how else will we love anyone whilst remaining detached from them, how else do we remain calm in sehaj in times of dukh.

Maharaj created this khel and this test world out of Love, hence it is to be respected, the fact that all are at their own stage of learning as He wills is, should be respected.

At the same time, we are here to discover and practice truth and to share and teach it with others- that's what a Bhagat does. There was a history of people who had this knowledge who sat in forests and mountains in meditation without helping others.

That's selfishness, sitting in samadhi without doing anything to improve the world, to bring the light of Truth into the world is selfishness.

Our purpose is to teach, to do seva- which includes being of service to the disillusioned and the downtrodden, and to help others out of Maya, to teach others to be independent and strong and to work hard- and to live your life and enjoy it.

the gyan of Gurbani is broken down on there, bandgi, being kind to all, selfless service, seeing through the illusion but at the same time, living a life of service to others. Look in the writings section on the menu.

Don't follow the teacher or the group, I'm not a part of the group nor do I contact the teachers on there.

The Guru is Guru Granth Sahib Ji- Gyan is the Guru and the Guru is the Gyan. The explanations on there are beyond what I've seen anywhere else and if applied, can lift one to great spiritual heights.

Website in question now on banned list, please refrain from referencing this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
I agree with you to a certain extent.. I think that the expression is used to easily sometimes and can lead to people using as a way to simplify. (however I am not suggesting Sikhilove used it in such a context) the problem I have with it is that it leans towards a acceptance of fate, and life as predestined, it's a poetic concept which can be expressed to describe the paradoxical nature of existence. However in some ways by adopting the expression we are buying into the idea that existence is some kind of cosmic joke.. Yet we in the sikh tradition are warned of believing that the world is as should be.

Fantastic area of concepts to explore further!

The khel runs by the law of Karam, we reap what we sow. You want to reap better karma, then sow better deeds, it's that simple.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: