Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Do Sikhs believe in heaven or hell?

Discussion in 'Sikh Sikhi Sikhism' started by Jasdeep118, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Jasdeep118

Jasdeep118 Canada
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

So, I am pretty curious. Everyday I always ask questions about religion and I sometimes doubt about god, but I still believe in him. I just have this one question," Do us Sikhs believe in heaven or hell"? For some reason, I don't want to ask my dad, because he is pretty religious and might say this, "If you don't pray to god you go to hell", and I know that the Guru Granth never forces people. So, I am just wondering if we believe in a heaven or hell.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Whats the view of sikhs who believe in only one life? Questions and Answers Sep 3, 2013
    Do Sikhs Believe in Heaven or Hell or Not? Sikh Sikhi Sikhism Dec 10, 2011
    What Sikhs Believe (World Sikh Organization Canada) Sikh Sikhi Sikhism May 4, 2010
    Do Sikhs believe in Hell? New to Sikhism Jan 21, 2008
    Hinduism Do Sikhs Believe in Hindu Scriptures? Interfaith Dialogues Jul 8, 2007

3. ActsOfGod

ActsOfGod
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer

Before getting to Gurmat, how about first exploring what you have to say on the subject.

What do you think, does heaven and/or hell exist? What is your personal belief?

Once we hear from you, we can go from there.

Sikhi is not about forcing any kind of beliefs upon you. Rather, it encourages you to engage in contemplation and self-discovery, which leads to awareness. So the process of going within and asking yourself what is truth for you at any moment in time is very important.

[AoG]

• Like Like x 2
  4. Jasdeep118

Jasdeep118 Canada
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Well, for me I don't believe in a heaven or hell. I believe in a god, but I believe that once we die, we are part of God, that's it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ActsOfGod

ActsOfGod
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer

Thank you for the reply. Now you have a starting point.

I think a good place to begin will be to study japji Sahib. If you can read Punjabi, Guru Granth Darpan is an invaluable resource. If you can only understand English, then there are some sources online with English Katha, here's one. I would stay away from the English translations of Gurbani for now, because they will most likely just introduce confusion (most of the English translations are unreliable and atrociously bad)

And while you're engaged in that study, here's a question to think about: where do we come from when we are born? Are we already existing, or does God create us brand new? What is your belief?

[AoG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. swarn bains

swarn bains United States
    Expand Collapse
    Poet SPNer Contributor

it is easy to question others, curiosity on this site is norm of the day. did you ever look in your own soul to find the answer. Even if some one answers your question will come from a book he read. no body has seen the wind. no body has seen God. no body saw heaven and hell and came back to tell the world. it is just a scarecrow created by the soceity for fear of death and from doing bad deeds