• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Dilemma For Westerners: A Second Look

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
but how will Sikhism grow and be 'universal' if it clings to rituals and traditions that are unacceptable to the vast majority of non-Indians. This is serious questions, pls. don't be offended. God bless you for reading this far.
What are the steps that could be taken to make Sikhi universal? Please comment.

YouTube - 1 = 125,000

Gora_pakora

SPNer
Oct 23, 2009
I really think you are reading into things too much. Being white is something not to be ashamed of, and maybe its a cultural difference between the states and the uk

:welcome: :happykaur:

Aug 27, 2005
Baltimore Md USA
Gora ji

:welcome: No skin color, ethnic group or tribe one is born into has nothing to be ashamed of. The issue I was speaking of was identifying by color in general. Doesn't what "white Sikhs" really mean is converts. Not with a negative connotation but "convert" just the same. Also being from the USA identifying by color echos of racism even when unintentional as in this case.

However since I am not a Sikh perhaps it is not my business other than the issue can relate to other faiths.

Peace
Satyaban

Gora_pakora

SPNer
Oct 23, 2009
I understand what you are getting at. Its just sometimes we have to face, that in order for people to be identified, we have to sometimes use race. And I would never have an issue with someone calling me white because I am.

If an aritcle read convert, it does not give the reader any clue to what culture the person came from.

You might have a point as I am pretty tired! lol

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
But it is something we have to be careful. The word is misused and overused. The word "race" that is.

Jatts, Punjabis, Sikhs, Jews etc are not examples of "races" yet I have heard each group self-identify that way.

The idea of "race" itself is scientifically ambiguous. The problem that I have with the idea of "white" Sikhs is that it is usually a reference to 3HO. But 3HO is a yoga organization. Some members are Sikhs; many are yoga teachers who are not Sikhs.The Sikhs of Yogi Bhajan (another bad phrase) refer to themselves as Sikh Dharma International (previously Western Dharma); and they are international.

I often wonder if the so-called "white Sikhs" headquartered in Espanola New Mexico want to be called that; but because they are non-confrontational people don't make a big issue of it. My experience is that they wear lots of different colors ;); and there are American Nihangs among the group who wear blue. White is worn by the amritdhari, and by others, according to the occasion.

Other white Sikhs include Nirmalas, Naamdharis, Nanskaris -- who all wear white. It is a very confusing term and I still am not used to it.

Some "white" Sikhs. Narayan Singh and 2 friends are waiting at the airport for their trip to Miri Piri Academy in Punjab -- boarding school.
http://www.mrsikhnet.com/index.php/2009/08/21/post-narayan-departure-blues/
timthumb.php
I
At a recent wedding: Some are wearing white; and some are not :inca:

spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif

3686231876_1718d95f80.jpg

From the wedding of Tej Kaur and Siri Chand Singh
http://www.mrsikhnet.com/index.php/2009/07/04/wedding-of-siri-chand-tej-kaur/

The woman inpink in the front row is Sat Kirin Kaur, well known western raagini granthi of the Los Angeles Guru Ram Das Gurdwara and the mother of Gurmustukh Singh, CEO of Sikhnet.com.

Odion

SPNer
Aug 21, 2009
I know this thread is a little old, and probably done to death, but as a Westerner and non-Sikh-learning-Sikhism-really-really-considering-becoming-Sikh, I thought I would add my part.

I'm one of the younger, more liberal generation, at 22 years old. I studied in college with a lot Sikh people, there were about...50 or so (I think) who were doing the course that were Sikhs. Only one was a keshdhari Sikh.

I think it has been summed up excellently by other members. For the most part, it's kesh. For others it's the five k's, turban and how very few non-Indians are Sikhs and they would feel out of place (to me, this is strange as I'm not bothered about one's skin, race, etc), but speaking for myself the only thing that puts me off is kesh, and emphasis on wearing a turban when one's hair is long. Despite having long hair myself, I wouldn't want to have a long beard (they itch and I get spots and rashes from them, nothing like a spotty rashy face to make you feel beautiful! :D) or be unable to trim the split/dead ends from my hair - especially when it seems to many that many Sikhi youth are cutting their own hair.

Another hurdle I have faced is I have curly hair. Very curly. :D

men-curly-hairstyles-for-2010.jpg

Like this! Only, I'm not as good looking! :u):
Having hair like this, I have no idea how I would tie it in a turban, and when I comb it dry, it goes absolutely insane and sticks up and out. I have no idea how I would, could care for it when it's so... wild! :D

When I first began researching into Sikhism, I found a lot of emphasis on kesh and the turban, and that one should change their name. Admittedly, this pushed me away. The other five k's I have no problem with, but being unable to cut/trim hairs, and how many change their last name to Singh probably puts a lot off - I know it did me.

I suppose there are probably ways that one can go around this, for example, adopting Singh as a middle name, and not becoming an amritdhari or keshdhari Sikhi.

Okay, so writing clearly is not my strong point. :shy: But I've tried to give my own experience regarding this.

I hope I haven't caused offence to anyone here. If I have I apologize as this was not my intention. :)

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: