Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Difference between premise and assumption

Discussion in 'Interfaith Dialogues' started by Neutral Singh, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Neutral Singh

Neutral Singh
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Supporter

What is the difference between premise and assumption, since both claim their statements are true? Is assumption based on opnions and premises are based on some evidence?

Thanks, i hope someone would give me a clear defintion.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Difference between us and the Gurus? Sikh Sikhi Sikhism Dec 25, 2014
    Hinduism Difference between Sikhi and Bhakti Hinduism Interfaith Dialogues Mar 5, 2014
    Islam What Is Difference Between Sikhism And Islam - Dr. Zakir naik Interfaith Dialogues Jun 16, 2013
    1984 Vast differences between Jallianwala Bagh and 1984 Bluestar History of Sikhism Aug 1, 2012
    What is the difference between a knife and kirpan? Questions and Answers Jul 3, 2012

3. etinder

etinder
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

whai i feel that premise is the basis or the propositon on which any deductive argument is based.. and it is not always evidential that why we have lot of time faulty premises when we cud not prove the logic..it cud be a prposition of a syllogism from which conclusion is drawn.
    for ex statement a and b r premises
    a: all birds fly
    b: crow is a birds

and the conclusions c: all crows fly

on the other hand the assumption can be evidential based on ones sensory or theoretical experiences..
    in logic it is mostly a minor premise.

i hope i m of some help