• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Definition Of GOOD ?

C

charger

Hi,

This is a nice forum in the making. :) Keep going.

I'm not that great at philosophy so i was wondering if i could get some help defining the good, i know some people don't believe in such a thing but if anyone could lead me in a direction where i could find more info that would be great, also post your thoughts! Whether you think there is a good or not, if not then why and if so, what do you think best describes it?

I'll start:

Most people would hold the word "Good" in positive regards, in fact often good is the opposite of evil which is often looked in negative regards (The word itself, although definitions will vary the word will at least have negative things attached).

Some will argue there is no true good or evil, but rather what we make of them. This is a strong argument i think, because people tend to attach what they see to be positive or negative to either statement good or evil.

Although it would be hard to hold someone morally blameworthy for anything, although i also realize that this is not a refutation to the argument that morals are relative, it's rather looking at things and how they work.

Even if morals are relative and not absolute the current construct seems to work good enough for blame to be assigned to an individual. These kind of constructs at their best seem to protect society cohesiveness.

Although morals even if God exist could still be relative- God's existance certanly doesn't mean that God has any opinion on morals. Perhaps God doesn't care?

However for my purposes i want to do my best, and not let any of that stop me. Perhaps i can get as close to the absolute good if there is one as possible. Afterall ideas must come from somewhere. The idea of good must be derived from something. I don't know what..though.

What is good, would seem to me to be also what is beneficial. Although i realize there are still problems with this as a thief benefits from stealing money from someone else. So beneficial might not be the word i want to use, although i would want to say that all cases of good are also beneficial at least to oneself. Even though everything that is beneficial might not be good everything that's good should be beneficial.

However one could then say what if i give money to the poor, how is that beneficial to me.. i lose money and gain nothing else. At this point i would like to escape and sidestep the question by merely saying it is good for ones soul.. however then i have to assume that one has a soul or spirit- i also have to assume that such actions are good for it.

So then it seems i cannot say that what is good is always beneficial, How logically is giving to the poor a beneficial act for the one that gives? It seems like the right thing to do, however at the same time i cannot see any benefit for the giver. He gains nothing.

So i am left at this point, now i would want to say that to give to the poor is an important aspect of the good, but i can't get it to fit.

What do you all think?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: