• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Darshan Singh To Appear At Takht Today

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Darshan Singh to appear at Takht today
Tribune News Service
Amritsar, December 4

Putting speculation to rest, a former Akal Takht Jathedar, Prof Darshan Singh, has said that at first, he will try to submit his written explanation to Akal Takht regarding his alleged blasphemous remarks against Guru Gobind Singh in a gurdwara in Rochester in the US. The verbal explanation will be given only if the written one was not accepted by the Sikh clergy.

Downplaying the possibility of any clash between his supporters and opponents, Professor Singh said he would not be appearing at Akal Takht with a large number of followers. “I will be appearing at Akal Takht at around 10.30 am on Saturday in the company of a few religious persons,” said Professor Singh while talking to The Tribune over the phone.

The Sikh clergy has already censured Professor Singh, in a way, by directing him not to give any discourse till he appeared at Akal Takht on December 5.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Darshan Singh waited for more than 2 HOURS outside the Akal Takhat while the Five Jathedars waited INSIDE their room at the AT Secretariat. Then Darshan Singh placed his proofs/evidence before the SGGS paraksh at AT and matha teked and went away. After another 2 HOURS, the Gyani Gurbachan Singh Jathedar AT appeared from his room and announced that Darshan Singh is TANKHAIYAH. No evidence etc was discussed or viewed.OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

May 23, 2009
Gyani Ji ,
Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh,
Here is more information:
Punjab Newsline
arrow.png
More in News...
arrow.png
Akal Takht declares Prof Darshan Singh 'Tankhayia'
<TABLE class=contentpaneopen><TBODY><TR><TD class=contentheading width="100%">Akal Takht declares Prof Darshan Singh 'Tankhayia' </TD><TD class=buttonheading align=right width="100%"> </TD><TD class=buttonheading align=right width="100%"> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=contentpaneopen><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width="70%" colSpan=2>JAGMOHAN SINGH </TD></TR><TR><TD class=createdate vAlign=top colSpan=2>Saturday, 05 December 2009 </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=2>AMRITSAR: In <INS style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; DISPLAY: block; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; VISIBILITY: visible; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; WIDTH: 336px; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: none; PADDING-TOP: 0px; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: none; BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: none; POSITION: relative; HEIGHT: 280px; BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: none"></INS>an unprecedented move former Jathedar Akal Takht Professor Darshan Singh was Saturday declared Tankhaiya (guilty for religious misconduct) in an edict announced from Akal Takht (highest Sikh temporal seat) by Sikh clergy after a marathon meeting here.
During meeting of Sikh Clergy including Jathedar Akal Takht Gyani Gurbachan Singh, Jathedar Takht Damdama Sahib Gyani Balwant Singh Nandgarh, Jathedar Takht Kesgarh Sahib Gyani Tarlochan Singh, Jathedar Takht Patna Sahib Gyani Iqbal Singh and Head Priest Sachkhand Takht Hazoor Sahib Gyani Partap Singh were present at Akal Takht.
On November 17 last, Jathedar Akal Takht had asked Prof Darshan Singh to appear at Akal Takht for clarification as he had allegedly uttered blasphemous remarks against the tenth Sikh master Guru Gobind Singh at USA.
Professor Darshan Singh is a renowned Sikh scholar and well connected to Sikh community at various foreign countries and remained Jathedar Akal Takht during the peak days of militancy in Punjab in the year of 1986.
Earlier in the morning Darshan Singh had come before Akal Takht but did not go inside to meet the Sikh clergy and while leaving, he left file of documents of his clarification regarding his innocence.
When Darshan Singh was sitting outside the Akal Takht, secretary SGPC told him to go inside before the Sikh clergy but Darshan Singh vehemently denied to go inside and demanded that Sikh clergy should come out to listen him.
Whereas, Sikh clergy in an edict said that Darshan Singh had arrived at Akal Takht carrying ego in his head, since he had violated all the norms of Sikh religion during his appearance at sacred Akal Takht.
In an edict Sikh clergy described Darshan Singh as so called professor who did not bother about the respect of highest Sikh temporal seat Akal Takht, so that is why he was declared tankhaiya.
Edict further stated that Darshan Singh was given time to appear in person before the Akal Takht being a humble Sikh personality till January 7 to accept religious punishment.
Edict also asked the Sikh community all over the world that Darshan Singh would not be entertained at anywhere in the world particularly in any Sikh shrines unless Darshan Singh appears at Akal Takht and accept punishment awarded by Sikh clergy.
Edict said that Darshan Singh would remain guilty of Sikh Panth unless appear at Akal Takht for atonement.
Earlier in the morning when Prof Darshan Singh had arrived at threshhold of Golden Temple to reach at Akal Takht was provided security cover of two different human chains. SGPC had deputed nearly 400 members of task force for the security of Darshan Singh.
Delhi Gurdwara Management Committee President Paramjit Singh Sarna also appeared at Akal Takht to submit his clarification since he had allegedly prevented certain group of Sikhs to perform prayer at Gurdwara at Delhi.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Prof. Darshan Singh,stayed at Akal Takhat for almost two hours.He came to clarify a very important issue for which it is crucial that it be discussed in the presence of Sadh SAngat. The pujaaarees are political appointees,not very knowledgable about Gurmatt ,
ill prepared to discuss anything with prof. Darshan Singh and henece because of their own arrogance ignore to see him in the presence of Guru Di Sangat. They are good
only at political games and are ,as expected blaming on Prof. Sahib,s ego.

It is my fervent hope that sikhs learn more about thie religion,live and share it,and wake up to confrornt people who in various political and religious garbs are out to destroy Sikhism. These priests are the new masands,who instead of playing the game of LOVE and Compassion as envisaged by THe Guru ,are shamelessly pursuing the path of wickedness.
The KOOR Parchaar they have launched against Prof. Darshan Singh in villifying and humiliating him without ever having the guts and intention of discussing sikh issues in the presence oF Guru and SAngat, is not going to take anything away from Prof. Darshan Singh. He is a brave Gursikh whose strength comes from Gur Shabad and he has never shied away from facing the Guru detractors. May Guru always keep him in Charhdi Kala
Satnam Singh

Mar 17, 2005
Toronto
I think everyone should call these so called jathedars and give them a piece of their own medicine. There numbers are on SGPC website. They are cowards for not comming outside, they think they are akal takht. It is not Prof.Darshan Singh with the ego it is these so called jathedars who think they are equal to the guru. Guru sahib is knowing who is innocent and who is not.

I think they are cowards for not comming outside because they know if they come outside they wouldve had no answer. Tarlochan Singh also said he has not read it, so who is guru nindak? They have yet to see entire video and even if they had, they are under pressure from anti sikh forces to excommunicate one of the leaders of the sikh panth. I for one do not look at these jathedars for any guideness, that does not mean I do not have respect for Akal Takht. I bow to Akal Takht but not these jathedars who are chosen by badal and his buddies.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
International Akaali ji

I agree with you. But how do you change anthing? The jathedars and SGPC sit where they sit because of the political arrangements that put them there in the first place. Any one who does not march to the tune of Shiromani Akaali Dal is either marginalized or relieved of duty. This is not going to get straightened out as long as Badal sees it in his best interests to have continuous friction among sects, deras, and the like. Short of pulling the rug out from under the feet of about 25 or so people, including Lamba, nothing is going to change. There are few strategies that will work because of government meddling. And is it meddling when in fact on paper it is a perfectly legitimate arrangement! We can call all we want for an independent governance of the Takhts and SGPC. It is not going to happen. The next steps are going to require a lot of bravery on the part of sangats everywhere because I predict this will not be the end of people being hauled before this pretentious religious leadership. A lot of people have a lot to lose. They are going to need incredible strength and political stamina. Do they have it?

This is one of those queer times when the fact of a corrupt process is as serious than any conclusion that might have been drawn regarding the Dasam Granth, or any part of it.

And as for phone calls to the SGPC and jathedars. They already have their story lined up. The same thing that happened to Professor Darshan Singh will happen again and again. And here is why. They are all afraid. They are afraid of Badal. Why else do you think that Professor Darshan Singh was called to one location, the Akal Takht, which refused to meet with him? And was then reviled for failing to appear before SGPC, before which he was never called to go? What a way to split the difference! They played a sure bet that no one would have to sit through a painfully embarrassing couple of hours in which their own cowardice would be exposed. Nor would they have, as the accusers, to confront the accused. This was set up so that no one would have to face Professor Darshan Singh.

Feb 4, 2009
Prof. Darshan Singh had been spreading lies and false information about Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji. It's about time this happened. I would just like to remind everyone here, that while you may not agree how the Akal Takhat Jathedars are appointed, you must realize that their ruling is the final word on the matter, as the Akal Takhat is the Supreme Head of the political sphere on Sikh life. :happysingh:

Also, people are saying that the Jathedars should have come out to meet the Darshan Singh. If you ever have to make a trip to court as a defendant, the judge, jury, and the prosecutor don't come to meet you, you go to them. Similarly, Darshan Singh should have shed his ego and went inside to meet Giani Gurbachan Singh Ji and the other jathedars.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
In a normal court..the Judge/jury/prosecutor etc all sit outside in PUBLIC. The Judge doesnt whisper...come follow me to this room..UNLESS like what happened in Baba Chicagowallhs case the issue is "sensitive"...such issues are also held in Camera. Baba Chicagowallh was caught redhanded "councelling" a woman not his wife ina cheap motel room..he was also councelled by the Jathedras in a closed room and given a slap on his wrist !! Drashan Singh on the otherhand is raisng a matter of GRAVE CONCERN to the SIKH NATION...and raised it in PUBLIC..he has to be heard in the same medium..
From the time of the Gurus all GURMATTAS have been held in PUBLIC on the steps of AKAL TAKHAT.

2. Tankha is NOT for the Original offence....it is for EGO in HEAD !! a completly New charge. Who doesnt have Haumein ?? Haumai is Ego in the Head...those who remained seated inside a closed room ahs five times more ego in the head !!

3. When Darshan Singh was WAITING...the Place was NOT "Akal Takhat"...but when the Jathedar came out to read his adesh..the SAME PLACE instantlly became "AKAL TAKHAT" ??HOW ?? Darshan singh was ordered to appear before the AKAL TAKHAT..He DID and waited there for over two hours !! It was the Jathedars who were NOT THERE and only came AFTER Darshan Singh LEFT more than one and half hours earlier....A Closed Room is NOT the Akal Takhat.

4. We have had a FAKE Harmandir built...no action.. we also have a Fake Granth impostor Guru..no action.. we have so many Fake Gurus...No action taken...we now also have a Fake Akal Takhat (closed room)
:happysingh:

vikram9274

SPNer
Nov 10, 2009
In a normal court..the Judge/jury/prosecutor etc all sit outside in PUBLIC. The Judge doesnt whisper...come follow me to this room..UNLESS like what happened in Baba Chicagowallhs case the issue is "sensitive"...such issues are also held in Camera. Baba Chicagowallh was caught redhanded "councelling" a woman not his wife ina cheap motel room..he was also councelled by the Jathedras in a closed room and given a slap on his wrist !! Drashan Singh on the otherhand is raisng a matter of GRAVE CONCERN to the SIKH NATION...and raised it in PUBLIC..he has to be heard in the same medium..
From the time of the Gurus all GURMATTAS have been held in PUBLIC on the steps of AKAL TAKHAT.

2. Tankha is NOT for the Original offence....it is for EGO in HEAD !! a completly New charge. Who doesnt have Haumein ?? Haumai is Ego in the Head...those who remained seated inside a closed room ahs five times more ego in the head !!

3. When Darshan Singh was WAITING...the Place was NOT "Akal Takhat"...but when the Jathedar came out to read his adesh..the SAME PLACE instantlly became "AKAL TAKHAT" ??HOW ?? Darshan singh was ordered to appear before the AKAL TAKHAT..He DID and waited there for over two hours !! It was the Jathedars who were NOT THERE and only came AFTER Darshan Singh LEFT more than one and half hours earlier....A Closed Room is NOT the Akal Takhat.

4. We have had a FAKE Harmandir built...no action.. we also have a Fake Granth impostor Guru..no action.. we have so many Fake Gurus...No action taken...we now also have a Fake Akal Takhat (closed room)
:happysingh:

well first off, the Akal Takhat isn't a real court and you shouldn't expect it to have the same rules as a real court, although I do not agree with decisions made in a closed room. But when you are summoned to court, you don't just go and stand outside the courthouse. He could have easily gone in, mentioned that he wants to have either some people allowed in with him or he will leave. In a courtroom, you don't have 2000 people in with you, in some cases the courtroom is closed to public. Sometimes, the case is taped, sometimes it can be shown live on television, there are a million scenarios. In my belief, having this argument/discussion outside was not logical because i honestly believe a fight would have broken out and that would just result in another dissapointing incident in this whole saga. Ragi should have said that "there are 5 of you, so I would also like two or three singhs to be allowed in the room with me" or asked them to "set another date and make this public but make sure you plan ahead to make sure fights do not start." This whole thing is just becoming ridiculous now. It has turned into a joke. With every developing twist in the story, I am saddened at the reflection of our panth but can not help but laugh at the drama.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Chastisement in the Sikh Rehat Maryada is for the following offenses.

<dl><dt>q) The following individuals shall be liable to chastisement involving automatic boycott:
</dt>
<dd> (1) Anyone maintaining relations or communion with elements antagonistic to the Panth including the minas (reprobates), the Masands (agents once accredited to local Sikh communities as Guru’s representatives, sine discredited for their faults and aberrations), followers of Dhirmal or Ram Rai, et. al., or users of tobacco or killers of female infants;
(2) One who eats/drinks left-over of the unbaptized or the fallen Sikhs;
(3) One who dyes his beard;
(4) One who gives off son or daughter in matrimony for a price or reward;
(5) Users of intoxicant (hemp, opium, liquor, narcotics, cocaine, etc.);
(6) One holding, or being a party to, ceremonies or practices contrary to the Guru’s way;
(7) One who defaults in the maintenance of Sikh discipline.
</dd></dl>Above is not relevant to what happened on December 5, 2009 and has been posted for comparison purposes only.

The below is conceivably relevant to what happened on December 5, 2009. These provisions were not followed.

Method of Adopting Gurmatta
Article XXVI

(a) The Gurmatta can only be on a subject that affects the fundamental principles of Sikh religion and for their upholding, such as the questions affecting the maintenance of the status of the Gurus or the Guru Granth Sahib or the inviolability of the Guru Granth Sahib, ambrosial baptism, Sikh discipline and way of life, the identity and structural framework of the Panth. Ordinary issues of religious, educational, social or political nature can be dealt with only in a Matta [resolution].
(b) A Gurmatta [Holy resolution] can be adopted only by a select primary Panthic group or a representative gathering of the Panth.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
well first off, the Akal Takhat isn't a real court and you shouldn't expect it to have the same rules as a real court, although I do not agree with decisions made in a closed room. But when you are summoned to court, you don't just go and stand outside the courthouse. He could have easily gone in, mentioned that he wants to have either some people allowed in with him or he will leave. In a courtroom, you don't have 2000 people in with you, in some cases the courtroom is closed to public. Sometimes, the case is taped, sometimes it can be shown live on television, there are a million scenarios. In my belief, having this argument/discussion outside was not logical because i honestly believe a fight would have broken out and that would just result in another dissapointing incident in this whole saga. Ragi should have said that "there are 5 of you, so I would also like two or three singhs to be allowed in the room with me" or asked them to "set another date and make this public but make sure you plan ahead to make sure fights do not start." This whole thing is just becoming ridiculous now. It has turned into a joke. With every developing twist in the story, I am saddened at the reflection of our panth but can not help but laugh at the drama.

EXACTLY JI....Akal Takhat was NEVER a "court"/THHanna where "accused" are brought in and "justice" meted out. Such scenes have never been enacted at Akal Takhat except in the past 30 years when POLITICS overwhelmed DHARMA !! EARLIER..like during the MIsl Period ALL SIKHS gathered outside the AKAL TAKHAT...had vichaars..everyone incluidng ordinary soldier/or jathedar had the SAME RIGHT to speak out..and at the END a GURMATTA was passed. After the Gurmatta everyone - inlcuding those opposed to it..ACCEPTED it as Panth da Hukm and followed it unreservedly.Such IKatths were frequently called..one was called for which Bhai mani Singh had to face DEATH later on. THIS is the Correct procedure on a Issue that concerns the GURU, PANTH. The Darshan Singh issue is not that of an INDIVIDUAL..its about the Supremacy of GURU GRANTH SAHIB and should be dealt with in the GURMATTA WAY IN PUBLIC.:welcome:

AS my friend Sardar Gurmit Singh of Australia has so well put..the SGPC - an elected Body UNDER the Gurdwaras Act 1925, APPOINTS/SACKS these Jathedars. Two Jathedars Patna and Hazoor Sahib arre directly under their STATE Commissioners/Governing Boards. The Gurdwara Act 1925 is LIMITED to PUNJAB/HARYANA/HIMACHAL. Not even DELHI is under them since DELHI has its own DGMC which manages all Delhi Gurdwaras. DIASPORA SIKHS dont even have a SINGLE sikh rep/opinion solicited/advice sought !!

The Second Legally and Morally BINDING DOCUMENT for SIKHS is the SIKH REHAT MARYADA of Akal takhat/SGPC. UNDER this SRM..there is absolutley NO PROVISION under which the Jathedars issue Hukmnamhs !!

The THIRD and Most Important is our One and Only GURU....SGGS. SGGS has no GURBANI that sanctions such hukmnamahs...no "hukmnamah" or GURVAAK was taken/ardass offered. Jathedars obvioulsy place themselves above the GURU. AT ALL IMPORTANT ocassions of Grave Concern such as this..Guur Ji was CONSULTED and His Hukmnamha was also sought.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Is that the same guy (in yellow dastar) who was defending the people that caused a ruckus in a gurdwara and were spitting on ladies dastars in faridabad? Just wondering.

I am not sure...BUT if you listened carefully you will KNOW from where he is..and its NOT Faridabad !! :happysingh:
BTW I too wear a Yellow Dastaar and look like that fellow...and i for sure didnt spit on any lady/ladies dastaar..he he he BUT i do agree with him 100% !!(in this video):happykaur:

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Is that the same guy (in yellow dastar) who was defending the people that caused a ruckus in a gurdwara and were spitting on ladies dastars in faridabad? Just wondering.

You have raised an interesting point. i too was wondering, where are all those persons who created that ruckus??? I could not find any information about their whereabouts? Raises doubts over that whole issue... :welcome: is there any information available in this regard... who were they?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Gyani ji

Do you object if I simply copy/repeat what you have said. For the sake of emphasis and factual truth.

1. Akal Takhat was NEVER a "court"/THHanna where "accused" are brought in and "justice" meted out.
  2. Such scenes have never been enacted at Akal Takhat except in the past 30 years when POLITICS overwhelmed DHARMA !!
  3. EARLIER..like during the MIsl Period ALL SIKHS gathered outside the AKAL TAKHAT...had vichaars..everyone incluidng ordinary soldier/or jathedar had the SAME RIGHT to speak out..and at the END a GURMATTA was passed. After the Gurmatta everyone - inlcuding those opposed to it..ACCEPTED it as Panth da Hukm and followed it unreservedly.
  4. The Darshan Singh issue is not that of an INDIVIDUAL..its about the Supremacy of GURU GRANTH SAHIB and should be dealt with in the GURMATTA WAY IN PUBLIC.
  5. AS my friend Sardar Gurmit Singh of Australia has so well put..the SGPC - an elected Body UNDER the Gurdwaras Act 1925, APPOINTS/SACKS these Jathedars.
  6. Two Jathedars Patna and Hazoor Sahib arre directly under their STATE Commissioners/Governing Boards. The Gurdwara Act 1925 is LIMITED to PUNJAB/HARYANA/HIMACHAL.
  7. The Second Legally and Morally BINDING DOCUMENT for SIKHS is the SIKH REHAT MARYADA of Akal takhat/SGPC. UNDER this SRM..there is absolutley NO PROVISION under which the Jathedars issue Hukmnamhs !!
  8. The THIRD and Most Important is our One and Only GURU....SGGS. SGGS has no GURBANI that sanctions such hukmnamahs...no "hukmnamah" or GURVAAK was taken/ardass offered.
  9. Jathedars obvioulsy place themselves above the GURU. AT ALL IMPORTANT ocassions of Grave Concern such as this..Guru Ji was CONSULTED and His Hukmnamha was also sought.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
You have raised an interesting point. i too was wondering, where are all those persons who created that ruckus??? I could not find any information about their whereabouts? Raises doubts over that whole issue... :welcome: is there any information available in this regard... who were they?

AMAN JI...the TITLE SAYS IT ALL !! i dont know how you and Vikram missed this...those guys are from NEW ZEALAND....it says so in the tilte of the video and also inisde it hwere the Singh in Yellow Turban says..NEW ZEALAND wich...
The anti-dg ruckus happened in FARIDABAD !!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: