• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Daily Prayers

Jun 2, 2006
Bathgate,Scotland
As i am new to Sikhism i have many questions to ask, not to sure where to post them though. What are the daily prayers and at what times of the day are they said? Can they be spoken in any language or is it only in Punjab? Does it involve meditation? if so is there a particular favoured method of meditation? Thanks.

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Dear Friend
o
You are welcome !

Dialy prayers in Sikhism could be Anything between 2 to 5 . It depends how much you can understand and relate to

Still the basic two to start with could be Japuji Sahib in the morning and rehrass in the evening

The recommended way of meditation in sikhism is nothing else just to understand , relate and apply the things you learn in Gurbani which inculdes the above two Composition .
It could be read in any language to start with as the emphasis is on the understanding and let the teachings penetrate in your life style.
But eventually many new sikhs start learning Punjabi as want to understand gurus word further.

The favuored method of Meditaion would be listening to the Japuji and also reading and try to understand . YOu can download text form of all these banis starting with Japuji Sahib Here

NITNEM BANIS

And for more detail disscusion on Japuji there are many sources but one we have on this website is also really nice ,worth reading so try it

Japuji Sahib Related threads I ( click here)

And for listening to japuji here is beautiful musical presentation of it Really worth listening

YOU can download it here

MUSICAL JAPUJI SAHIB JI BY CHARDIKALA JATHA( TAKEN FROM MRSIKHNET.COM) ( RIGHT CLICK AND SAVE Target as)

Jatinder Singh

If you are still more interested to go further then here is one other interesting thing to learn Japuji

Self Mastery through Japji
A professional DVD Set was compiled from the 2003 Japji Sahib Course (here in Espanola, New Mexico) that you might be interested in. This year we are having a new 4 day Jaap Sahib course which is going to be awesome! Come join us if you can.

Here is some info about the DVD:
ahw_1889_12593074
"When someone can understand Japji, he can understand the entire wisdom of God." - Yogi Bhajan

This unique two DVD set features two inspiring and uncut lectures of Yogi Bhajan and highlights of lectures, presentations and meditations from the Japji Course 2003 by the best international teachers and musicians of Sikh Dharma.

It offers four hours of in-depth knowledge of Guru Nanak's divine teachings of Japji plus a beautiful full length melodic recitation by Chardi Kala Jatha musical genius Sada Sat Simran Singh with visual cues for you to accompany the recitation.

Japji contains universal teachings for anyone seeking Truth. It is a timeless piece of poetry, a song composed by the enlightened Indian Saint Guru Nanak while in a state of divine union with the Infinite. Japji is said to give answers to life's deepest questions. Japji is a tool designed to deliver a human being to excellence.

Order Online at: Spirit Voyage or Ancient Healing Ways

(TAKEN FROM MRSIKHNET.COM)

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh

Translation can be read but better is to learn the language and dicide yourself the best meanings.But at start OK to read translation nothing to worry for prayer etc.

We need to have combinatin of meditations as well as reading of scriputres.

For meditaion das can tell you to contact akj.org.uk or 3ho or Gursikhijeevan.com as they have tthier representative in UK,in London ie east london we have Karamsar.org who may also teach you.

Anyway in morning during free time,you can think of that God,who is in you and everywhere around you.And that also with full concentration.That si the way of das.

Other way could be in your mind keep on speaking Wahiguru Wahiguru(wonderfull God) repeatedly and concnetrate on the tune of it as if it is God itself(As per Sant Singh Ji Maskeen).
Tell das about you expiriance on personal message.

Try to read Japu Sahib and understand that also,while uniderstadning that also you may get feeling of meditation on God described over there.It is first Part of sridasam.org.
All the Best.

vipjas_27

SPNer
Jun 1, 2006
SAT SRI AKAL TO ALL,
i will try to answer as i know how important this basic knowledge is. As you know a Sikh does 3 times a day his/her prayers. A Sikh prayer can be either an individual prayer or a community prayer.

AN INDIVIDUAL PRAYER can be said at any place. It can be said when a person is walking or commuting to his/her work or doing gardening or swimming or doing early morning exercises. There are no set formalities or rituals to say individual prayers. The set individual prayers are as follows:

Morning prayers: (These must be said before starting the daily work): Jap Ji, Jaap Sahib and Swayyas.

Evening prayer: (This prayer is said at the time of sunset): called Raheras.

Night (bed)time prayer: (This prayer is said before going to sleep): the Kirtan Sohila.

In addition to the above prayers which are read or recited from the Gudkas, a short form of scriptures, a thanksgiving prayer is also said once in the morning and second time in the evening. This prayer is called Ardas.

THE COMMUNITY PRAYER: The community prayer is said or performed in a Sikh temple (Gurdwara) or in a house where the community gathers to say a collective prayer. All prayers should be said in the presence of Guru Granth SahibJi.

i want to share my personnel view according your query. I pray in English, the only reason for that is i'm not comfortable with the Punjabi language. If one doesn't understand what he/she prays it wont have the same deep impact. I can recall the words of SGGSJi in Punjabi but i wouldn't understand them, so the message would be lost, the SGGSJi is much too valuable for that. My opinion is, with the utmost respect to wards the SGGSJi, that we can say our prayers in a language understandable for us, at least i want to experience the depth of the words. You cant learn the things which you don't understand, i am sure this goes for all of us. I hope i didn't hurt anyone with these words, it might that other members have a complete different experience with this. For me only the language is a barrier, so for the moment being, i pray in English. I also feel free to ask some other members to share their precious thoughts, views, opinions on this topic... i am eager to learn from them too....thanks in advance..
I hope my response will give your dear friend a bit of satisfaction, i understand that he is loaded with lot of questions and we will try to help wherever we can. I hope op the co-operation from our other esteemed members. Please let us know your views Ji...till then..

Be in Charda Kala...

REGARDS
vipjas

Jun 2, 2006
Bathgate,Scotland
vipjas_27 said:
SAT SRI AKAL TO ALL,
i will try to answer as i know how important this basic knowledge is. As you know a Sikh does 3 times a day his/her prayers. A Sikh prayer can be either an individual prayer or a community prayer.

AN INDIVIDUAL PRAYER can be said at any place. It can be said when a person is walking or commuting to his/her work or doing gardening or swimming or doing early morning exercises. There are no set formalities or rituals to say individual prayers. The set individual prayers are as follows:

Morning prayers: (These must be said before starting the daily work): Jap Ji, Jaap Sahib and Swayyas.

Evening prayer: (This prayer is said at the time of sunset): called Raheras.

Night (bed)time prayer: (This prayer is said before going to sleep): the Kirtan Sohila.

In addition to the above prayers which are read or recited from the Gudkas, a short form of scriptures, a thanksgiving prayer is also said once in the morning and second time in the evening. This prayer is called Ardas.

THE COMMUNITY PRAYER: The community prayer is said or performed in a Sikh temple (Gurdwara) or in a house where the community gathers to say a collective prayer. All prayers should be said in the presence of Guru Granth SahibJi.

i want to share my personnel view according your query. I pray in English, the only reason for that is i'm not comfortable with the Punjabi language. If one doesn't understand what he/she prays it wont have the same deep impact. I can recall the words of SGGSJi in Punjabi but i wouldn't understand them, so the message would be lost, the SGGSJi is much too valuable for that. My opinion is, with the utmost respect to wards the SGGSJi, that we can say our prayers in a language understandable for us, at least i want to experience the depth of the words. You cant learn the things which you don't understand, i am sure this goes for all of us. I hope i didn't hurt anyone with these words, it might that other members have a complete different experience with this. For me only the language is a barrier, so for the moment being, i pray in English. I also feel free to ask some other members to share their precious thoughts, views, opinions on this topic... i am eager to learn from them too....thanks in advance..
I hope my response will give your dear friend a bit of satisfaction, i understand that he is loaded with lot of questions and we will try to help wherever we can. I hope op the co-operation from our other esteemed members. Please let us know your views Ji...till then..

Be in Charda Kala...

REGARDS
vipjas

Thanks for taking the time to try and help me. Would it be possible to link me to a site/sites which have all three prayers for the three different times of the day, do you recite the full prayer or just different parts? Is it the same prayers said each day?

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh

Comrade,

As such the concpet of prayer does not exists in Sikhism(Gurmat).

We are told that in front of whom should we pray as God knows everthing whithout our saying to that.

So we are told to be hapy and thankfull to God in any situatioons,Sometime we may think that it is Bad time for us but that time God brings to us and there has to be something good for us in that so our Creaoter and Master wants us to be in that situaltion.

Like Dog is always happy to Master in whicherver state Master keeps it so do we have to be happy in all situations(in Holy Bible's Old Testment,Book of Job also says same thing but our Scriptures put it in straight forward way both means the same).

What verse we are told to read Three in Morning,One in evening and one before sleep just make us rember thesee things only.Das requwst Dr Khalsa or Bro Arvind Ji to give linksk again for the Banis of nit Neem or daily rule to Comrade.

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Vijaydeep veer ji,

Thanks for the sewa.

Audio Baanis are downloadable from following links:
http://keertan.waheguroo.com/index.wn?Query=Bani+Pro&Search=Search&swhat=0
http://keertan.waheguroo.com/index.wn?Query=nitnem+&Search=Search&swhat=0

Also, at
http://www.amritbani.com/audio.htm
http://www.sikhs.org/audio.htm

British_Communist veer, if you have any difficulty in downloading from above links, please let us know. Also, when you want to read those baanis and the meanings by yourself in Gurmukhi or English phonetics, please tell us. It would be our pleasure to serve you.

Thanks, Arvind.

Jun 2, 2006
Bathgate,Scotland
Arvind said:
Vijaydeep veer ji,

Thanks for the sewa.

Audio Baanis are downloadable from following links:
http://keertan.waheguroo.com/index.wn?Query=Bani+Pro&Search=Search&swhat=0
http://keertan.waheguroo.com/index.wn?Query=nitnem+&Search=Search&swhat=0

Also, at
http://www.amritbani.com/audio.htm
http://www.sikhs.org/audio.htm

British_Communist veer, if you have any difficulty in downloading from above links, please let us know. Also, when you want to read those baanis and the meanings by yourself in Gurmukhi or English phonetics, please tell us. It would be our pleasure to serve you.

Thanks, Arvind.

Hi thanks for the links, could you give me links to the english phonetics? Thanks.

Jun 2, 2006
Bathgate,Scotland
Arvind said:
Dear British_Communist

Please look at http://www.sikhnet.com/s/DownloadBanis

Regards, Arvind.

Thanks for the links, it is very useful. I downloaded the Japji Sahib, jaap sahib, rehiras sahib and the kirtan sohila in English. I know i should say the first two in the morning, the 3rd at sundown and the last before i go to sleep, but do i say the full prayer that is in each word document, or do i only say a specific part so that i am not saying the same prayers each day? or is it optional and down to understanding?

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh
Ieadly it is Three scriptures in morning ie Jap Ji Sahib,Jaap Sahib and Tva Prasad Swaye and Rahras Sahib in evening and Sohila at Night,

But it is option anyway so read and more so understand as much as you can.it is not as such madatory for the beginer.

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Early Morning: Asa Di Vaar
Morning: Jap Ji Sahib, Jaap Sahib, Tav Prasad Savayiye, Chaupai, Anand Sahib
Evening: Rehraas Sahib
Night (before sleeping): Kirtan Sohila
Sukhmani Sahib - any time

Someone please correct me, if wrong.

Regards.

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh

Dear Brother Arvind Singh Ji,

As per Puratan Samprdayas Maryad and still followed by many Singh Sabh Gurdwara your point is Ok but as per sgpc code in morning we can do it without Chaupayee Sahib and Anand Sahib.

Just an information andn nothing to oppse or nothing to support rather das asks Gyani Jarnail Singh Ji for that.

mannu812

SPNer
Jun 30, 2006
As a sikh of guru gobind singh I uppose this. What ever was implemented by our gurus we have follow that not SGPC. I hate people doing that. I dont know why, sikhs religion is the newest one on this earth but still we do not have all sikh together. Everything is soo clear but the leader are so confuse that they make other confuse. That is why people says" yaar main too sheesh ganj main amirit paan karunga kunki wahan non -veg mana nahi karte. Stoopids. Sikh need a leader who know what he is doing and will do for the better interest of others. We need to be serious on some issue. leaving everything on SGPC will not doo anything.

Mannu

my chat ID is mannu812@yahoo.com. you can chat with me anytime you want.
my emails are mannu812@rediffmail.com, mannu812@yahoo.com.

Last edited:

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
6 banis in the morning?!?!

Japji, Jaap and Sawaii-yay are imposing enough to me! *hides under the blankets*

If those three banis take at least 50 minutes, how long do all six take?

Does anyone else find the length and time of the banis intimidating?

Not to critisize them or anything, but in English at least they see mighty long....

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Yeah , to start with 6 banis really look too much
and if you could not understand it then probably you will become bored reading it .

So to start I think one should start with Japuji and as one understand and feel easy start adding banis in morning .

About time the general recommended time for prayers and mediation in particular is 2.5 hrs that one tenth of whole day so in the start one can utilise whole of the time reading and understanding banis .
But still there is no compulsion and more of a individual thing

JAtinder Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: