• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Spiritual Daily Amrit Vela Blog - Difficulties, Joys, Methods Of This Practical Journey To Self Discovery

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
I am wondering what is the difference between prehistoric belief and practices of useless rituals and so called nam simran when practically my several attempts found it is useless.
..don't worry, nothing is wasted, your failed attempts will be banked for your next life and then you'll be like Chaz, vibrant, full of beans and never moan n groan.
You yourselves says Nanak kai ghar keval naam
..correct !
means in the house of nanak there is no useless rituals
..correct ! nam simran is not a ritual but a practice.

but meaningful and innovative thoughts
..and, practices ! For it is practices that becomes habits and habits finally lead to virtuous life.
divine virtues.
...yes ! Nanak and Gobind want to see in their children love, respect, cooperation and understanding. Sikh rises above the do's and the don'ts and is forever thankful no matter what the disposition.

Goodnight n Godbless

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
nothing is wasted, your failed attempts will be banked for your next life
In twenty first century and being a Sikh, you still believe there is next life. For heaven sake there is no next life. Let us not insult Guru Nanak.
and, practices ! For it is practices that becomes habits and habits finally lead to virtuous life.
You think mumbling requires practice. Let us wake up and start some meaningful job for the betterment of humanity. God is complete and he does not require any betterment.

Navdeep88

Writer
SPNer
Dec 22, 2009
I'm developing my own understanding and relationship with God...because my Ego and 5 thieves often get in the way...is that a bad thing?

Did you ask your Guru about if Guru Ji is being over-emotional about His love for Waheguru? Did you Ask your Guru if he's selling a business? if Guru Ji is selling false claims about the possibility of experiencing waheguru whilst yet alive? :)

Are you Certain that your pursuit of 'developing an understanding' etc isn't ROOTED in your ego? In which case the only thing expanding is empty ego.

The issue I have is, the description of these abstract pirouette, that seem to have no beginning or end. In which case 'development/progress' can't even be measured!!! And the point is for it Not to judged by us, but by God. So just because you shout at the top of your lungs that your holy, doesn't make it so.

YOU are not Synonymous to the Guru. Therefore, my questioning your methods and motives does not mean I question Guru.

You, me, them, us etc: Human
Guru: Higher

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Good morning Japjisahib Jee,
In twenty first century and being a Sikh, you still believe there is next life. For heaven sake there is no next life. Let us not insult Guru Nanak.
...come on Sir, you know the soul doesnt't die with the death of the body; it lives on ! Not on another planet, but here on this very planet and in this very body. Nanak lives in us, lives in our children and will live enternally for ever. We will change with the weather [evolution] but will never forget [visar] that we are his children and will always remember [simr, simran] the teaching of our Gurus and parents. We remember our parents, our children will remember us and that's how evolution manifests from one generation to the next. Just because we've evolved bigger brains and moved out of villages doesn't mean we forget what the people of the villages were like and how they lived. We are today, what they were yesterday and we will be tomorrow what our children are today. So yes, lets us teach them what Nanak taught - the "importance of nam simran".
You think mumbling requires practice. Let us wake up and start some meaningful job for the betterment of humanity.

ਗਉੜੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥ ਸੰਤ ਕੀ ਧੂਰਿ ਮਿਟੇ ਅਘ ਕੋਟ ॥ ਸੰਤ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਜਨਮ ਮਰਣ ਤੇ ਛੋਟ ॥੧॥ ਸੰਤ ਕਾ ਦਰਸੁ ਪੂਰਨ ਇਸਨਾਨੁ ॥ ਸੰਤ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਤੇ ਜਪੀਐ ਨਾਮੁ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਸੰਤ ਕੈ ਸੰਗਿ ਮਿਟਿਆ ਅਹੰਕਾਰੁ ॥ ਦ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਆਵੈ ਸਭੁ ਏਕੰਕਾਰੁ ॥੨॥ ਸੰਤ ਸੁਪ੍ਰਸੰਨ ਆਏ ਵਸਿ ਪੰਚਾ ॥ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਰਿਦੈ ਲੈ ਸੰਚਾ ॥੩॥ ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਜਾ ਕਾ ਪੂਰਾ ਕਰਮ ॥ ਤਿਸੁ ਭੇਟੇ ਸਾਧੂ ਕੇ ਚਰਨ ॥੪॥੪੬॥੧੧੫॥[p189 SGGSJ, translation (bold, roman-english) japiya naam, meaning, meditation.

Guru Ji says in the Guru Granth Sahib:

With my hands I do God's work; with my tongue I sing God's Glorious Praises.

With my feet, I walk on the Path of my Lord and Master. ((1))
It is a good time, when I remember Him in meditation.
Meditating on the Naam, the Name of the Lord, I cross over the terrifying world-ocean. ((1)(Pause))
With your eyes, behold the Blessed Vision of the Saints.
Record the Immortal Lord God within your mind. ((2))
Listen to the Kirtan of God's Praises, at the Feet of the Holy.
Your fears of birth and death shall depart. ((3))
Enshrine the Lotus Feet of your Lord and Master within your heart.

Thus this human life, so difficult to obtain, shall be redeemed. ((4)(51)(120))
— Guru Granth Sahib, page 189[4]

Naam Japo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naam_Japo

Should there be any differences of opinion with the translation or interpretation of the shabd above, please take it up with the author.

Much obliged !

Last edited:

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Are you Certain that your pursuit of 'developing an understanding' etc isn't ROOTED in your ego? In which case the only thing expanding is empty ego.

it's love...its a thirst...its hard to describe...but whatever it is, its prodding me to explore...
its definitely not Ego...Guru Says there's more to us than meets the eye...and it's turning out to be true...

There's nothing special about me, because the route to Waheguru as described in SGGS Ji, is via the Body...and we all have one :)

a mother seperated from her child at birth, doesn't seek the child for an Ego boost...its love..
people who seek out of ego, won't get anywhere, that message is clear in SGGS Ji also :)
Love is the only way...selfless real love.

The issue I have is, the description of these abstract pirouette, that seem to have no beginning or end. In which case 'development/progress' can't even be measured!!! And the point is for it Not to judged by us, but by God. So just because you shout at the top of your lungs that your holy, doesn't make it so.

Who's measuring it?....you're full of assumptions, and very quick to put words into people mouths...either because you've had a bad experience with some kind of spiritual group...or your've seen or read about bad experiences...or you're just quick to judge...only you know.

Do you think all the past explorers knew what they would find and see when they set to sea? what were they measuring their progess against...did they know what to expect? they went because they wanted to explore...because they believed something else was to be found and understood.

YOU are not Synonymous to the Guru. Therefore, my questioning your methods and motives does not mean I question Guru.

You, me, them, us etc: Human
Guru: Higher

unless you have real reason to believe I or others have negative agendas, money making schemes or anything else...by what we have said or done, you should be careful just how quickly you judge...

from the things you said, you think 'experiencing Waheguru' is a false promise...and by what I and others say, we have an agenda to abuse the trust of others by selling these false promises...

the problem is, if you read your Guru...and trust it...that is the promise Guru Ji gives you...of knowing, whilst alive and kicking in this body...all i'm doing is having faith in that...the rest i leave to Guru Ji...and my Amrit Vela Simran seems to be where a lot of the 'revealing' is taking place..

no Ego...just love...and there is nothing special about me...
Guru ji says...come to know, and then inspire others also...thats the only reason i come to this site.

God bless

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Well, Last nights Simran was interesting...

seems i fell asleep at the sofa...woke up with my head hanging to one side, and drooled quite excessively...

JapJisahib Ji....if i had looked in the mirror at the moment....i really would have looked like a fool...:) i felt like one...

maybe evening Simran will be a little more involving :)

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012

Hey, who is believing there is a next life? just mere belief was left behind a while back...now it's being 'revealed' through Naam Simran...the beauty of Sikhi...to 'know'...rather than just 'believe'

This is why Sikhi is so great...

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Chaz ji,

Guru Fateh.

Thanks for the great blog.

I would like to know from you and Original ji, the true translation of the meditation as per SGGS because both of you use this word quite a bit.

Please post the word/s that describe Meditation in the SGGS, our only Guru.

Do all words used as Meditation in SGGS mean the same?

I have asked the same to Original ji many times, but it seems he slips back to his burrow when challenged about Gurmat values rather than responding with the help of SGGS as a Sikh should.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Chaz ji,

Guru Fateh.

Thanks for the great blog.

I would like to know from you and Original ji, the true translation of the mediation as per SGGS because both of you use this word quite a bit.

Please post the word/s that describe Meditation in the SGGS, our only Guru.

Do all words used as Meditation in SGGS mean the same?

I have asked the same to Original ji many times, but it seems he slips back to his burrow when challenged about Gurmat values rather than responding with the help of SGGS as a Sikh should.

Thanks

Tejwant ji,

that's a good question...a question i think many posters have answered or given their view on in many threads before.

if you want to go through the same questions and answers probably a new thread will be useful.

my take on meditation is, just like when i used to do my university assignments...being focused, very little distraction, mind on subject matter, what i'm trying to achieve, th resources i need to assist me...when i get into the 'zone' i was able to do very well on my assignments and projects...in fact people found it difficult to pull me away.

so Gurbani talks on Dyaan, Ik Man etc on Gurbani, Shabad, Naam...destination being darshan of Waheguru (whatever that may be) .. with various tips on which direction to look (within)...

one cannot dissect their body and look within, so it is to use the mind as a tool...to go within...again, many shabads describing this where Guru Ji talks to His own mind...

best to start a thread...or look through old threads where you've asked the same question, and many, including me have answered...in details as best we can using gurbani...

god bless

arshi

Writer
SPNer
Aug 20, 2009
Chaz ji

A wonderful and an educational blog. Years ago I perceived a spark in you and even commented on it, you may recall, in one of the threads.

This is not to boost your ego, as you may respond, but to show my appreciation.
I know you make every effort to keep a tight grip on your ego, as we all should.

Best wishes.

Rajinder Singh 'Arshi'

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Good man Harry ji.

Unfortunately....seems I slept through my alarm lol...

Wife's still knocked out...cats just popped out...so here I go for a bit of me and wahe guru time....

me and waheguru have been listening to simple minds all morning, and then we had some doughnuts, read the sun, and then 20 mins ago, he said, I have to go, Chaz is waking up, thanks for the doughnuts and music, now I have to meditate for hours, its so much fun here!

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
my take on meditation is, just like when i used to do my university assignments...being focused, very little distraction, mind on subject matter, what i'm trying to achieve, the resources i need to assist me...when i get into the 'zone' i was able to do very well on my assignments and projects...in fact people found it difficult to pull me away.
So chaz Jee since university assignment are over what are the technique you are applying for meditation.Please don't tell me the futility of three meditative technique dismissed by SGGS: The bhagat Dhanna who is said to have assiduously meditated on a stone idol to experience God (Guru Granth, p. 487); Jaidev who speaks of breathing techniques -- one nostril for inspiration, the other for expiration (p. 1106); and finally, Guru Arjan who drives the final nail into our desperate dependency on such techniques, "Path pario er bed bichario, naval bhuangam sadhay. ...Piyaray in bidh milan naa jayee mae keeye karam aneka." (p. 641).

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM