• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Blessings Of Naam

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan
BLESSINGS OF NAAM

ABSTRACT

Naam in Sikhism is the spiritual wisdom, only obtained through the Grace of God. The blessings are only showered through singing of Its praises and doing good deeds.

ਵਿਣੁ ਕਰਮਾ ਕਿਛੁ ਪਾਈਐ ਨਾਹੀ ਜੇ ਬਹੁਤੇਰਾ ਧਾਵੈ ॥

viṇ karmā kicẖẖ pā¬ī¬ai nāhī jė bahuṯėrā ḏẖāvai.

Without virtuous deeds, man cannot gain any thing useful in spite of his running around.-----Guru Nanak, Raag Tilang, AGGS, Page, 722-9

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the Sikhs pray (Ardas) to God every day for the blessing of Naam (Gift of Naam)
Question comes to mind as to what gift of the Naam is and what does it mean to a Sikh? Does every Sikh understand as to what do they intend by supplicating, and seeking the blessings of Naam? Most probably the answers to these questions are big No. It is just a mechanical recitation (with out understanding) in Ardas based on the tradition and words written by some Sikhs for making some selfish demands to fulfill material desires.

Most of us might be under the impression that it means reciting the word of Waheguru or Satnam, but Guru Nanak says in Japji that it is so difficult even one have millions of tongues, then it may be possible to become one in Union with Akal Purkh;

ਇਕ ਦੂ ਜੀਭੌ ਲਖ ਹੋਹਿ ਲਖ ਹੋਵਹਿ ਲਖ ਵੀਸ ॥ ਲਖੁ ਲਖੁ ਗੇੜਾ ਆਖੀਅਹਿ ਏਕੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਗਦੀਸ ॥ ਏਤੁ ਰਾਹਿ ਪਤਿ ਪਵੜੀਆ ਚੜੀਐ ਹੋਇ ਇਕੀਸ ॥

Ik ḏū jībẖou lakẖ hohi lakẖ hoveh lakẖ vīs. Lakẖ lakẖ gėṛā ākẖī¬ahi ėk nām jagḏīs. Ėṯ rāhi paṯ pavṛī▫ā cẖaṛī▫ai ho▫e ikīs.

If one had 125,000 tongues, and these were then multiplied twenty times more, with each tongue, one would repeat, hundreds of thousands of times, the Name of the One, the Akal Purkh of the Universe. One may climb these steps of the ladder, and come to merge with It -----Japji, AGGS, Page, 7-6

Most likely it means we are supplicating for the blessings of the Divine Wisdom and seeking to root out duality and doubt from our consciousness. One is blessed only by Akal Purkh’s Grace.

ਗਿਆਨੁ ਨ ਗਲੀਈ ਢੂਢੀਐ ਕਥਨਾ ਕਰੜਾ ਸਾਰੁ ॥ ਕਰਮਿ ਮਿਲੈ ਤਾ ਪਾਈਐ ਹੋਰ ਹਿਕਮਤਿ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਖੁਆਰੁ ॥

Gi¬ān na galī¬ī dẖūdẖī¬ai kathnā karṛā sār. Karam milai ṯā pā¬ī¬ai hor hikmaṯ hukam kẖu¬ār.

Divine knowledge is not attained by mere words. To explain this is as hard as steel. If one becomes the recipient of the Grace of God, only then he receives it. Other means are futile. -----Guru Nanak Asa Di Var, AGGS, Page, 465-1

Divine Knowledge is the awareness and understanding of facts, truths or information gained in the form of learning. The purpose of Divine knowledge is to find the Truth and to develop an inner cleanliness by subjugating our animal instincts and developing godly virtues instead.

ਨਾਨਕ ਸਾਧੂ ਸੰਗਿ ਜਾਗੇ ਗਿਆਨ ਰੰਗਿ ॥ ਵਡਭਾਗੇ ਕਿਰਪਾ ॥

Nānak sāḏẖū sang jāgė gi¬ān rang. Vadbhāgė kirpā.

O, Nanak, in the Company of the Holy, and Its love, the Divine knowledge is awakened. The Akal Purkh's Mercy is bestowed upon those who are blessed with such good destiny. -----Guru Arjan, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 380-8

ਸਗਲੀ ਧਰਤੀ ਮਾਲੁ ਧਨੁ ਵਰਤਣਿ ਸਰਬ ਜੰਜਾਲ ॥ਨਾਨਕ ਮੁਸੈ ਗਿਆਨ ਵਿਹੂਣੀ ਖਾਇ ਗਇਆ ਜਮਕਾਲੁ ॥

Saglī ḏẖarṯī māl ḏẖan varṯaṇ sarab janjāl. Nānak musai gi¬ān vihūṇī kẖā¬ė ga¬i¬ā jamkāl.

All the land, property, wealth and material things are all entanglements. O, Nanak, without divine knowledge, one is plundered, and devoured by the Messenger of Death. -----Guru Nanak, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 465-6

Spiritual ignorance is going to persist in individuals, who do not try to sharpen their mind with an active attempt in controlling and purifying it with the medicine of Truth.

ਅੰਜਨ ਮਾਹਿ ਨਿਰੰਜਨਿ ਰਹੀਐ ਜੋਗ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਇਵ ਪਾਈਐ ॥

Anjan māhi niranjan rahī¬ai jog jugaṯ iv pā¬ī¬ai.

Remaining unblemished in the midst of the filth of the world - this is the way to attain Yoga -----Guru Nanak, Raag Suhi, AGGS, Page, 730-18

Once the mind is stilled, in between two thoughts, it can energize itself towards being a candidate for Its Grace, to be blessed with Divine knowledge. Kabir proclaimed in Raag Gauri that the mind can then come to have the knowledge of the three worlds.

ਗਿਆਨ ਹੀਣੰ ਅਗਿਆਨ ਪੂਜਾ ॥ ਅੰਧ ਵਰਤਾਵਾ ਭਾਉ ਦੂਜਾ ॥

Gi¬ān hīṇaʼn agi¬ān pūjā. Anḏẖ varṯāvā bẖā¬o ḏūjā.

With out spiritual wisdom, the people worship ignorance. They grope in the darkness, in the love of duality. -----Guru Nanak, Sloke Vaaran To Vadheek, AGGS, Page, 1412-4

ਸਾਸੁ ਕੀ ਦੁਖੀ ਸਸੁਰ ਕੀ ਪਿਆਰੀ ਜੇਠ ਕੇ ਨਾਮਿ ਡਰਉ ਰੇ ॥ ਸਖੀ ਸਹੇਲੀ ਨਨਦ ਗਹੇਲੀ ਦੇਵਰ ਕੈ ਬਿਰਹਿ ਜਰਉ ਰੇ॥

Sās kī ḏukẖī sasur kī pi¬ārī jėṯẖ kė nām dara¬o rė. Sakẖī sahėlī nanaḏ gahėlī ḏėvar kai bireh jara¬o rė.

I am bothered by my mother-in-law, Maya, and loved by my father-in-law, the Akal Purkh. I fear even the name of my husband's elder brother, Death. O my mates and companions, my husband's sister, misunderstanding has seized me, and I am burning with the pain of separation from my husband's younger brother, divine knowledge. -----Kabir, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 482-6

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਗਿਆਨੀ ਬਾਣੀਐ ॥ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪੂਰਣ ਮਤਿ ਸਬਦਿ ਨੀਸਾਣੀਆ ॥

Gurmukh Breham Giaan Giaanee Baaneeya.Gurmukh PooraN Mat NeesaNia.

Since the Guru willed attains divine knowledge, they are called knowledgeable ones. Guru willed has the wisdom fully stamped and marked by the Word.-----Bhai Gurdas, Var 19, Pauri, 15

“Our Gurus have given God the name of Sat (Truth) It alone existed, exist and will exist.” If the name of God is Truth (Sat) then Truth needs to be lived rather than be just recited as Truth, or as “Satinam”.

ਰਾਮ ਰਾਮ ਸਭੁ ਕੋ ਕਹੈ ਕਹਿਐ ਰਾਮੁ ਨ ਹੋਇ ॥ਗੁਰ ਪਰਸਾਦੀ ਰਾਮੁ ਮਨਿ ਵਸੈ ਤਾ ਫਲੁ ਪਾਵੈ ਕੋਇ ॥

Rām rām sabẖ ko kahai kahi¬ai rām na ho¬ė. Gur parsādī rām man vasai ṯā fal pāvai ko¬ė.

Everyone chants the Akal Purkh's Name, Ram, Ram. It is not obtained by any such chanting, Only by Guru's Grace, It comes to dwell in the mind, and then, the fruits are obtained. -----Guru Amar Das, Raag Gujri, AGGS, Page, 491-1

Thus a Sikh prays for the restoration of original Naam consciousness, which is a fully awakened state and should be the foremost goal of a dedicated Sikh. The awakened spiritual consciousness is the spontaneous manifestations of radiant calmness, mental clarity; spontaneity, simplicity, and natural ease. These are the signs of having received the blessings of the Grace of Naam. This is acknowledged by an attitude of gratitude to “Akal Purkh” for Its benevolence and Grace. We benefit by acknowledging the expressed, divine qualities of enlightened souls because such recognition aids us in our own awakening.

ਸੋ ਪੜਿਆ ਸੋ ਪੰਡਿਤੁ ਬੀਨਾ ਜਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹੀ ਕਮਾਣਾ ਨਾਉ ॥ ਪਹਿਲੋ ਦੇ ਜੜ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਜੰਮੈ ਤਾ ਉਪਰਿ ਹੋਵੈ ਛਾਂਉ ॥

So paṛi¬ā so pandiṯ bīnā jinĥī kamāṇā nā¬o. Pahilo ḏė jaṛ anḏar jammai ṯā upar hovai cẖẖāʼn¬o.

He alone is learned and wise, and he alone is a scholar, who contemplates the Name and acquires Divine Wisdom. First, the tree puts down its roots, and then it spreads out its shade above. -----Guru Nanak, Raag Malar, AGGS, Page, 1288-6

An individual becomes calm in the measure that he or she understands himself or herself as a being of evolved thinking. Such knowledge necessitates an understanding of the others. As one develops a right understanding, and sees more and more clearly the internal relations of things in terms of cause and effect, thus he ceases to fuss and fume, to worry and grieve, and remains poised, steadfast and serene-“Dead while Alive”.

Conclusion:

The calm individual, having learned to govern him/her self, knows how to adapt to the others. They, in turn, revere his or her spiritual strength, and feel that they can learn from him or her and rely on him or her. The more tranquil an individual becomes, the greater is his success, influence, and his power to do good. Such individual will find his outlook broadens as he or she develops a greater self-control and equanimity. People will always prefer to deal with the individual whose demeanor is distinctly equable. This is only possible with the help of Sabd Guru through supplication for the Grace of the Akal Purkh.

ਗੁਰ ਬਿਨੁ ਸਹਜੁ ਨ ਊਪਜੈ ਭਾਈ ਪੂਛਹੁ ਗਿਆਨੀਆ ਜਾਇ॥ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਸੇਵਾ ਸਦਾ ਕਰਿ ਭਾਈ ਵਿਚਹੁ ਆਪੁ ਗਵਾਇ ॥

Gur bin sahj na ūpjai bẖā¬ī pūcẖẖahu gi¬ānī¬ā jā¬ė. Saṯgur kī sėvā saḏā kar bẖā¬ī vicẖahu āp gavā¬ė.

Without the Guru, celestial peace is not produced, O Siblings of Destiny; go and ask the spiritual teachers about this. Serve the True Guru forever, O Siblings of Destiny, and eradicate self-conceit from within. -----Guru Amardas, Raag Sorath, AGGS, Page, 638-15

Virinder S Grewal
Williamston,MI

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM