• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Bhagat Sadhna

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan
Bhagat Sadhna: He was born in 1180 at village Sehwan in Hyderabad Sindh province and was a meat seller by profession. He never killed the animals by himself but purchased those killed by others. His idol was salagram with which he weighed out retail meat for his customers. He became monotheistic and was rapped up in God’s love. His piety and meditation of God elevated him to saintly status. In one of his journeys he was passing through a village where he went to ask for food from a married woman’s house. She fell in love with Sadhna being young and handsome and purposed to elope with him. He refused even if she cut his throat. She understood that her husband has to be killed, so she can go with him. She killed her husband and on refusal to take her with him blamed him for murder. He thought that since God put him in this position, no one will accept his denial. As a punishment his hands were cut off by the order of a judge. He became the object of further persecution and was condemned by Brahmins on a false charge of religious opinion and was arrested by a king, who he ordered to be buried alive. His one hymn/Sabd comes in Raag Bilawal in AGGS, which he composed as the wall closed around him;

ਨ੍ਰਿਪ ਕੰਨਿਆ ਕੇ ਕਾਰਨੈ ਇਕੁ ਭਇਆ ਭੇਖਧਾਰੀ ਕਾਮਾਰਥੀ ਸੁਆਰਥੀ ਵਾ ਕੀ ਪੈਜ ਸਵਾਰੀ ਤਵ ਗੁਨ ਕਹਾ ਜਗਤ ਗੁਰਾ ਜਉ ਕਰਮੁ ਨ ਨਾਸੈ ਸਿੰਘ ਸਰਨ ਕਤ ਜਾਈਐ ਜਉ ਜੰਬੁਕੁ ਗ੍ਰਾਸੈ ਏਕ ਬੂੰਦ ਜਲ ਕਾਰਨੇ ਚਾਤ੍ਰਿਕੁ ਦੁਖੁ ਪਾਵੈ ਪ੍ਰਾਨ ਗਏ ਸਾਗਰੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਫੁਨਿ ਕਾਮਿ ਨ ਆਵੈ ਪ੍ਰਾਨ ਜੁ ਥਾਕੇ ਥਿਰੁ ਨਹੀ ਕੈਸੇ ਬਿਰਮਾਵਉ ਬੂਡਿ ਮੂਏ ਨਉਕਾ ਮਿਲੈ ਕਹੁ ਕਾਹਿ ਚਢਾਵਉ ਮੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਕਛੁ ਹਉ ਨਹੀ ਕਿਛੁ ਆਹਿ ਨ ਮੋਰਾ ਅਉਸਰ ਲਜਾ ਰਾਖਿ ਲੇਹੁ ਸਧਨਾ ਜਨੁ ਤੋਰਾ

Nrip kanniā kė kārnai ik ba¬i¬ā bėk¬ḏẖārī. Kāmārathī su¬ārthī vā kī paij savārī. Ŧav gun kahā jaga gurā ja¬o karam na nāsai. Sing saran ka jā¬ī¬ai ja¬o jaʼnbuk garāsai. Ėk būn jal kārnė cārik uk pāvai. Parān ga¬ė sāgar milai fun kām na āvai. Parān jo thākė thir nahī kaisė birmāva¬o. Būd mū¬ė na¬ukā milai kaho kāhi cadāva¬o. Mai nāhī kacẖẖ ha¬o nahī kicẖẖ āhi na morā. A¬osar lajā rāk lėho saḏẖnā jan orā.

For a king's daughter, a man disguised himself as Vishnu. (A carpenter’s son who on hearing that a king’s daughter desired to marry Vishnu, decked himself like him and married her) He did it for sexual exploitation, and for selfish motives, but God protected his honor (as another king attacked his kingdom he prayed to Vishnu to save him and his people). What is Your value, O God of the world, if You will not erase the karma of my past actions (as he was being buried)? Why seek safety from a lion (God), if one is to be eaten by a jackal (king)? For the sake of a single rain-drop, the rain bird suffers in pain. When its breath of life is gone, even an ocean is of no use to it. Now, my life has grown weary, and I shall not last much longer; how can I be patient? If I drown and die, and then a boat comes along, tell me, how shall I climb aboard (Here he wanted to be saved but God promised salvation after death)? I am nothing, I have nothing, and nothing belongs to me. Now, protect my honor; Sadhana is Your humble servant. -----Bhagat Sadhna, Raag Bilawal, AGGS, Page, 858

Virinder S. Grewal

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
This Shabd is not debated much. I guess we are trying to purify Adi Guru Granth Sahib Ji by being selective. I may be wrong but that is what I felt.
it also brings veg/ Non-veg debate in an indirect way.
My point is about unconditional bhagti ... without question.
I came across this interesting MP# about this shabad
http://gurmukhisabadkosh.blogspot.com/2010/06/nrip-kanniaa.html#comment-form
Ballym ji if you have can read and understand Punjabi I believe Professor Sahib Singh ji has addressed this Shabad in a very scholarly and complete way including review of renegade approaches to this shabad.

Here is the URL if you are not familiar,

http://www.gurbanifiles.org/gurmukhi/GuruGranth%20Darpan%20by%20Prof%20Sahib%20Singh.pdf

I can take a stab at translating the essence from his Darpan if you want to make a same effort, kind of time/share! Let me know what is your area of concern or picking on this shabad or specific need so we can help each other.

Sat Sri Akal.

ballym

SPNer
May 19, 2006
Thank you for your reference. I found the details very detailed and complete. The link I referred in my post above did not give much details and did not seem right.
Thanks again.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: