• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Becoming A Sikh

Holycow

SPNer
Mar 10, 2008
Hey guys,

I'd just like to know how one "officially" becomes a Sikh. What if it is impossible to get to a Gurdwara? Are Sikhs obligated to attend a Gurdwara? If there isn't a Gurdwara near you is it still possible to become a Sikh!? I'm sure this topic has been discussed to death so sorry in advance if this has been asked many times.

To paraphrase is for you: How does someone convert to sikhism if they arn't near a Gurdwara and, is it still possible to live a "sikh life" if you are the only sikh in a thousand miles?

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
It would help if you gave your location (in Canada) as you've mentioned a thousand miles away so that we can identify someone who can share his experiences of coming into Sikhism as well as be in closer proximity towards him/her. Any other details about you can also be helpful.

Time being, here's a video you may find interesting for a start.

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Holy Cow ji

I found some addresses of Gurduwara on internet. you can try google etc. I am sure you should find it, just put' sikhtemples in......". When you are ready for conversion., it is important to do it through Gurudawara, you will get a chance to hear Sikhs on Sikhism in person in that special assembly( Sadh Sangat, they call it)

Holycow

SPNer
Mar 10, 2008
It would help if you gave your location (in Canada) as you've mentioned a thousand miles away so that we can identify someone who can share his experiences of coming into Sikhism as well as be in closer proximity towards him/her. Any other details about you can also be helpful.

Time being, here's a video you may find interesting for a start.

I live in Taber, Alberta just a small town. :( What kinda detalis do you want? I'm an open book man!

Holycow

SPNer
Mar 10, 2008
Oh well! I will just read Gurbani, and live a Sikh life and worry about "conversion" when I can regularly get to a Gurdwara.

Oh, and would it be appropriate for a beginner like me that is not baptized(obviously) to wear the 5ks?

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

Holycow

SPNer
Mar 10, 2008
okay, pretty unrelated but oh-well...

What is the adverage Turban length(Metres) for a guy with a big"ish" head? lol, Sorry I'm new to this stuff.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Holycow ji

NamJap is giving you very good advice. It is related. You take the K's a little bit at a time. Turban length is important, but what is going on inside your head is as important as what is on your head. It needs to be nurtured and cared for. By the time you have settled the inside and the outside, the Bani and the Bana, you will be ready for amrit, with His kirpa.

Holycow

SPNer
Mar 10, 2008
No worries man, that was just a... "would like to know question" but someone already told me. Anyway... Yeah my plan is to practise sikhism very slowly and study for awile and by the time I've got a pretty good handle on Sikhi I should be able to get into a gurdwara every once and awile.

svea00

SPN Sewadaar
SPNer
Feb 3, 2008
Hi Holycowji!

I´m also thinking about converting.
I think aad0002ji is right, being a sikh is not all about what to wear and how to tie a turban. It´s also how to think and how to live.
For me, currently the worst part is mastering the language and getting my lazy a** out of bed every morning for bani. :eek: And beyond that, I think it is of great importance that you´re not only doing it, but also understand what you are mumbling every morning.
I´ve been doing the japji sahib or the jaap sahib in the morning and the Kirtan Sohila in the evening for a while and am now thinking about buying a kara. For me it would be like converting to wear one. This would remind me every day with every move I make that I´m a sikh and should act and think like one.

<<<To paraphrase is for you: How does someone convert to sikhism if they arn't near a Gurdwara and, is it still possible to live a "sikh life" if you are the only sikh in a thousand miles?>>>
Yes, I think it is. But it is lonely.
Honestly, there are some sikhs in my town, but for me sikhi became an integral part of my life and would like to share
and celebrate this with others. The others live with their families and praying together at home. My chance doing this is at the Gurdwar and it feels good singing and praying together with them. But they only meet twice a month. :(

That was a lot personal and almost no answer to your question.
But as I´m maybe in a similar state of life, I also like to discuss it. You know, how should I know what I think before I´ve heard what I´m saying. :)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
svea000, holycow

This forum has its exasperating aspects -- no one will argue. But the very fact that you are here is a sign that you are serious.

Here is what I think will happen -- but naturally I am not a soothsayer or fortune teller. You won't be walking a straight path. It will have lots of curves and sharp turns. Each curve, each turn is a place where new learning occurs. Think in spirals, not in a straight line to Sikhi.

There is A LOT TO LEARN FOR A NON PUNJABI CONVERT!!!!!!!!!!!! There is not an organized curriculum, although there will be those who try to tell you there is one. You learn from everyone. If someone tells you something that you already know, just listen one more time, one more time, one more time. In the beginning take it all in, store everything, don't worry about what is right or what is better than something else. Soak it up.

The language is a difficult part of this but not insurmountable. The entire 3HO movement started with a group of Americanos who were lost to themselves. No one read Gurmukhi except Yogi himself. They found not one but many roads to closing this gap, they are still closing it. And teaching others as they move forward. This gets fixed.

Now two glimpses into my own life -- and only one life, for what it is worth.

First glimpse: Yes "jap" in a language you don't understand and can't pronounce is jarring at first. I kept thinking -- This is not going to last! Now the solution ended up being this: I played CD's along with "jap" for MONTHS -- sort of using auditory, visual and vocal channels at the same time. It has to be the right CD for you BTW. For me it was and is Amarjit Kaur's Daily Nit Nem. Also Dya Singh, but not as much as Bhenji Amarjit. BaniPRO did not work for me. Eventually it came together and now I can hear Jap in my head during the day. But I still cannot recite Nit Nem from memory. That will come too. My true confession is that when I tried to do it just by reading and reciting it was painful. Now it isn't.

Second glimpse. There are Sikhs just about everywhere. Sikhs don't advertise their presence. It goes against the grain of being a Sikh. I thought I was the only Sikh at work. By this time my office was full of Sikhism: screensaver, wall paper, picture of Guru Ram Das, my office copy of Daily Banis.....One day a computer technician walked into my office, wearing a kara. I was shocked. We talked about 20 minutes about Sikhism. I yelled at him for leaning his elbow on my Nit Nem. He begged Guru's forgiveness. It was wonderful to find him, really wonderful. Then I searched the email directory and found 12 more. Just look. We are everywhere.. just about. And No Sikh will Ignore the Plea of Another Sikh.

Joginder Singh Foley

Writer
SPNer
Jan 26, 2008
Stoke On Trent
Just take it slowly one step at a time and build up the strengh of your Sikhi, That is what i did on my path towards Sikh. Eventually working Sikh practises into your secular and sacred life will become second nature as your knowladge and strengh increase untill you get to that day when you are standing in the presence of five Panji Pire and Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji taking Amrit Pahul. It worked for this white [irishman] sikh convert

Last edited by a moderator:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM