• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Beautiful Lines

Nov 19, 2004
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Feteh

Life is like a taxi. The meter just keeps a-ticking whether you are getting somewhere or just standing still. -- Lou Erickso

Life is a grindstone. Whether it grinds us down or polishes us up depends on us. -- Thomas L. Holdcroft

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. -- Winston Churchill

Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. -- Gandhi

Nobody gets to live life backward. Look ahead, that is where your future lies. -- Ann Landers

Just as a candle cannot burn without fire, men cannot live without a spiritual life.-- Buddha

Life is like riding a bicycle. You don't fall off unless you plan to stop peddling.-- Claude Pepper

For a long time it had seemed to me that life was about to begin--real life. But there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid. Then life would begin. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life.-- Alfred D. Souza

In the book of life every page has two sides: we human beings fill the upper side with our plans, hopes and wishes, but providence writes on the other side, and what it ordains is seldom our goal. -- Nisami

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment. -- Buddha

It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

In the game of life it's a good idea to have a few early losses, which relieves you of the pressure of trying to maintain an undefeated season. -- Bill Baughan

The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it. -- Anonymous

Expecting life to treat you well because you are a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.-- Shari R. Barr

All of the animals except for man know that the principle business of life is to enjoy it.-- Samuel Butler

Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well. -- Josh Billings

A great secret of success is to go through life as a man who never gets used up. -- Albert Schweitzer

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. -- Anonymous

Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint on it you can. -- Danny Kaye

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.-- Abraham Lincoln

Difficult times have helped me to understand better than before, how infinitely rich and beautiful life is in every way, and that so many things that one goes worrying about are of no importance whatsoever...-- Isak Dinesen

There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. -- Albert Einstein

Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway. -- Steven Coallier

Life isn't worth living unless you're willing to take some big chances and go for broke.-- Eliot Wiggington

Being on the tightrope is living; everything else is waiting. -- Karl Wallenda

On life's journey faith is nourishment, virtuous deeds are a shelter, wisdom is the light by day and right mindfulness is the protection by night. If a man lives a pure life, nothing can destroy him. -- Buddha

In between goals is a thing called life, that has to be lived and enjoyed. -- Sid Caesar

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
When I was born I was so surprised I didn't talk for a year and a half.
Gracie Allen

You know that i grew up listening to Gracie Allen and George Burns her husband -- and she was a fabulous comedienne. Maybe in my top 5. He was all at being "confused" and she was all at being "confusing." Both of them brilliant because they were so dry. In the early 20th Century they started as comedians in Vaudeville - traveling comedy shows. Later, when television began, (maybe the early 1950's) every Sunday afternoon they had a 1/2 hour television comedy show. Then she became ill and died. Theirs was also a legendary romance that lasted for decades.

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
This is one I read somewhere when quite young, it had a profound effect on me back then and I still rate it as very important now.

'A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.'

-Robert A. Heinlein

kiram

SPNer
Jan 26, 2008
“Do not watch the petals fall from the rose with sadness, know that, like life, things sometimes must fade, before they can bloom again.”

"It's a very fragile world, she told us, so walk carefully everywhere you go & we promised to remember for as long as we could."
~ Story People

ricky_xccess

SPNer
Aug 18, 2008
Freedom is not an achievement but an opportunity - Bhagat Puran Singh

Dignity in death is a Birthright of each living being - Bhagat Puran Singh

Last edited by a moderator:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: