1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, we truly appreciate your patience while we are working hard on the upgrade process, which was forced upon us due to the decline of our original forum software. Good news is SPN is almost ready to resume its normal operations soon. The new cutting edge software has been chosen with a primary focus on enhancing user experience especially while using SPN on the mobile devices such as tablets or phones. This new platform will also provide us the opportunity to implement new ideas which were not possible in old software. Forum appearance will be an on going process and you would notice significant changes as we mature working in the new software environment. Some of the core functionality like the blogs will be restored gradually. Once, the forum is fully active, please take your time navigating around the new forum functionality. We will also introduce you to new functionality from time to time.

At what age one should take Amrit, The Sikh Baptism

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by bscheema, Jan 22, 2012.

1. bscheema

bscheema Well-Known Member SPNer

waheguru ji ka khalsa wahe guru ji ki fateh

i had this question in mind , because one of my friend when he had baby months ago ,he baptized him with amrit , and i was thinking nd got confused....and still

2. Ambarsaria

Ambarsaria ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār SPNer

Re: At what age one should take Amrit/ sikh baptism

bscheema ji the following from Sikh Reht Maryada as excerpted from the SGPC site,

So the forefathers thought about this aspect and the situation you describe is a violation of the SRM rather than happy and joyous or proud compliance.

I have seen such stuff too. This is almost setting examples of failure through the very young even though the intentions many times are so pious, genuine, humble and respectful from the parents. I wish rather not to see this stuff. I personally think it is OK to let the kids play with dresses and turbans and all the other stuff and be happy/proud but not the Amrit Baptism.

Sat Sri Akal.

3. Kamala

Kamala Banned

Whatever you do, I hope you don't get your kids into deep religion at a young age because they will grow up and maybe not approve with it and not know what they really signed up for and then they'd be stuck if they took amrit, I mean stuck by if you take it you can't just leave it like it was a joke because it is a serious matter, and it's worse to accept and then just reject, rather than not accepting it at all.

But the quick answer is, after pueberty, and by that I mean the age of 17-whatever!

Namashkar and have a nice daaaay :)

4. Chinu

Chinu Active Member SPNer

A+mrit = Amrit.
    A.. stands for AWAY
    Mrit.. stands for Death.

Thus.. Amrit means: "Away from deaths", or By drinking this amrit one becomes away from deaths, as births are also corelated with deaths, so it can also be called that, by drinking this amrit one becomes away from deaths and births or "The maze of Charausi"

So.. this true amrit lies within everybody, but we all are disconnected from this true amrit. This true amrit has no relation with age bar.0:)

BhagatSingh likes this.