• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Judaism Ask A Rabbi Anything!

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
In case of Palestine, they want justice. So the hatred comes from the injustice for almost 60 years. They want a land from which many are kicked out. This is the reason I said that hatred can be bred when suppression and repressions become modes de jour.

The fact is that Muslims and Jews have a lot more in common than their Christian counterparts despite they three have the same umbilical cord - The Abrahamic God.
Which horse is this one?

Regards

Tejwant Singh

I believe the Jewish claim is built upon the belief that the Deity (God) gave that land to the Jews and everyone else there is an usurper without any rights to it. If I truly believed that the Deity gave me - us - something, I think I would fight to the death against anyone who tried to take God's gift away from me.

"Straight from the horse's mouth" is a saying in English, as I'm sure you know, meaning "directly from the source," in this case, that would be Rabbi ji.

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
One Billion Hindus worship idols which is not a blasphemy for them as you claim in number 5 but love for the God. So you mean one billion Hindus are not God's servants?

Tejwant Singh Ji I realise you were addressing the Rabbi but if you permit me to join the discourse, I should just like to state that I feel it is unfair to say that one billion people idol worship,that is just some peoples view of what Hindu's do,I never met a Hindu who said he was an Idol worshipper ,he might say that he worships G-d and the idol reminds him of his G-d's Avtaar though.

Ps well done to the lioness for standing her ground against lions that I tend to run from rather than engage.

ThatGuy007

SPNer
Oct 31, 2011
ThatGuy007 ji couple of questions as follows,

1. If non-Jewish partner follows the "Noahide laws (a set of laws given from G-d to Noah after the flood)", are they considered favorably for inter-marriage between Jewish and non-Jewish partners?
  2. Many times one sees reference to people of the book (Jewish, Christians and Muslims), why is there such apparent hate in the Islamic world towards Jewish people beyond the Palestine issue?
Please don't feel obliged to answer all if you think it will give some negativity or negative tone to this thread and ability to share.

Sat Sri Akal/Sholom.

1) No. Jews must marry Jews, and this hold especially true for men. You see, Judaism is an Ethnoreligion, meaning they are one in the same. Without Jews, there is no Judaism. What makes one a Jew is passed down through the mother.

2) I don't know. Aside from a tax Jews and Christians had to pay, there was no 'bad blood' in the past. I get along very well with Somali Muslims and respect them for their observance.

-Sholom

Last edited:

ThatGuy007

SPNer
Oct 31, 2011
ThatGuy007 ji,

Greetings and welcome to the forum.

As the Noahide laws are supposed to be for a Non-Jews and also for the Jews to obey in order to be the servants of God I have a few questions for you because these laws seems to contradict themselves.

A. Which God would they become servants to?

The reason of my question is based on the laws you mentioned.

1.Prohibition of Idolatry- One Billion Hindus worship idols which is not a blasphemy for them as you claim in number 5 but love for the God. So you mean one billion Hindus are not God's servants?

2.Prohibition of Murder- Mosad has gone around the world and murdered many innocent people. Israeli armed forces murder many innocent kids, mothers and many other people almost daily.

3.Prohibition of Theft- Occupation of Palestinian land to build Jewish settlements is thievery.

4.Prohibition of Sexual immorality- Abraham raped his own slave Hager which is immoral.

5.Prohibition of Blasphemy- Already asked in number 1.

6.Prohibition of eating flesh taken from an animal while it is still alive- Why eating oysters which are eaten live is wrong?

7.Establishment of courts of law- It means justice for all. Why are thousands of Palestinians rotting in Israeli jails without any recourse?

Lastly, do you also omit a letter or two when you write "God" in Hebrew?

Please pardon my bluntness but we all as human beings have to be honest about things and all laws that help humanity to become better demand checks and balances.

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

1) Yes. G-d has no form and worshiping an avatar or idol is idolatrous according to Judaism.
2) I don't know where you get you facts but if you do a little reading, you'll see that

a)Israel isn't the one currently hurling rockets into civilian areas.
b)Extremist fighters use children and women as shields during fights.
c) Israel is not the one teaching it's children to kill themselves and other in people in martyrdom.

3) Palestine, is Israel. Before it was Israel,it was a part of the British Empire called "Trans-Jordan". Before that, it was part of the Ottoman Empire which gave it no name, before then the Byzantines and Romans. The Romans actually named it Palestine as a way to add insult to injury after conquering it. BUT you do find coins like this:

judea_capta_coin_close.jpg

It says "Ivdea Capta". In Latin that means Judea is captured.

Jews have always historically lived in Israel, even before the modern countries existence. And even in 1948, that land was given by the British to the Jewish people in a legal way. It wasn't stolen, it was given.

Aside from that, it is our homeland given to us by G-d. Would you not fight for something G-d gave you?

4) Abraham married Hagar, he didn't rape her. Look it up.

6) Yes. The animal is alive and suffering while you eat it. The same goes for the way people make lobsters and crabs. G-d loves all his creations, and for humans to go around and make them suffer for no reason is both unethical and a sin.

7) They are murders or people who planned to murder. Seems fair to me.

We don't even write G-d in Hebrew. We us a letter to suggest intent of whom we are speaking.

-Sholom

Last edited:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ThatGuy007 ji, I much appreciate your direct answers. I was concerned that may be one of my questions would possibly derail the thread or make you uncomfortable.

Thank you again and please continue to share and help us on Judaism and other topics.

Sholom/Sat Sri Akal.

ThatGuy007

SPNer
Oct 31, 2011
Tejwant Singh Ji I realise you were addressing the Rabbi but if you permit me to join the discourse, I should just like to state that I feel it is unfair to say that one billion people idol worship,that is just some peoples view of what Hindu's do,I never met a Hindu who said he was an Idol worshipper ,he might say that he worships G-d and the idol reminds him of his G-d's Avtaar though.

Ps well done to the lioness for standing her ground against lions that I tend to run from rather than engage.

You actually bring up a good point.

Hindus worship Brahmin, and the avatars and gods are expressions of Brahmin. Brahmin, is an acosmic monism, not very different from the way that Judaism views G-d. The idolatrous aspect of Hinduism is the worshiping of animals, statues and avatars.

-Sholom

ThatGuy007

SPNer
Oct 31, 2011
ThatGuy007 ji, I much appreciate your direct answers. I was concerned that may be one of my questions would possibly derail the thread or make you uncomfortable.

Thank you again and please continue to share and help us on Judaism and other topics.

Sholom/Sat Sri Akal.

That's alright =) I'm glad you brought them up. I was scared of a derail/flame war but I didn't think it would be fair to leave your questions unanswered.

-Sholom

ThatGuy007

SPNer
Oct 31, 2011
In case of Palestine, they want justice. So the hatred comes from the injustice for almost 60 years. They want a land from which many are kicked out. This is the reason I said that hatred can be bred when suppression and repressions become modes de jour.

The fact is that Muslims and Jews have a lot more in common than their Christian counterparts despite they three have the same umbilical cord - The Abrahamic God.

Which horse is this one?

Regards

Tejwant Singh

Judaism is the oldest of the three. The Christian god is not the Jewish G-d, they just claim he is.

Islam, more or less worships the same G-d as we Jews.

I would go as far as to say that we, Jews and Sikhs, worship the same G-d also. Perhaps we are both describing the same thing from two different angles.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ThatGuy007 ji another question.

1. There is a bit of focus in terms of controlling the following in Sikhism. For some it is a pursuit even to eradicate such out of their lives and for many to keep these in check,

[FONT=border=]lust, anger, greed, attachment or pride [/FONT]

Are there similar preachings or concept(s) in Judaism

2. In Sikhism there is also a tenet to "do honest work, and to share the fruits of such labor with others. Even there is encouragement to share at least 10% (called Daswandh) of your earnings as a minimum.

Is there such a preaching or tenet in Judaism?

Thank you.

ThatGuy007

SPNer
Oct 31, 2011
ThatGuy007 ji another question.

1. There is a bit of focus in terms of controlling the following in Sikhism. For some it is a pursuit even to eradicate such out of their lives and for many to keep these in check,

Are there similar preachings or concept(s) in Judaism

2. In Sikhism there is also a tenet to "do honest work, and to share the fruits of such labor with others. Even there is encouragement to share at least 10% (called Daswandh) of your earnings as a minimum.

Is there such a preaching or tenet in Judaism?

Thank you.

1) Yes, the laws are many regarding them but anger,pride and envy are all "sins of the heart". Pride and anger are akin to idol worship and self-deification. In regards to lust and desires, it is preferred to take a middle path. For example if one had a desire for meat, he may eat it but in moderation. There is a concept called "Hiskafya" which means "withholding". This is when if you want to eat, instead of pigging out, you basically eat only what you need to.

2) Yes. Outside of Israel, we must give at least 10% of our wages to Tzedaka but not more than 20%. Inside Israel, there is an addition tithe to the priests, first fruits meant to be offerings to G-d, a tithe for the tribe of Levi, and a tithe to the poor. In addition, and sheath of grain left in the field is for poor people and we are forbidden to cut the corners of our fields so that the poor may take that produce.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ThatGuy007 ji one comment,
1) Yes, the laws are many regarding them but anger,pride and envy are all "sins of the heart".
I believe you previously stated something about no-Law system. Why you refer to "Laws" in the above. If the above is in fact true can you give examples some of the key laws in Judaism. By the way "Sins" are not well linked in Sikhism as it simply focuses on actions and consequences in this life.

Thank you. mundahug

ThatGuy007

SPNer
Oct 31, 2011
ThatGuy007 ji one comment,I believe you previously stated something about no-Law system. Why you refer to "Laws" in the above. If the above is in fact true can you give examples some of the key laws in Judaism. By the way "Sins" are not well linked in Sikhism as it simply focuses on actions and consequences in this life.

Thank you. mundahug

I don't recall that. Actually, Judaism has a quite extensive and encompassing code of law that dictates everything from how we tie our shoes to the affairs of the state.

Some key laws are as such:

God exists
God is one and unique
God is incorporeal
God is eternal
Prayer is to God only.
The prophets spoke truth.
Moses was the greatest of the prophets.
The Written and Oral Torah were given to Moses.
There will be no other Torah.
God knows the thoughts and deeds of men.
God will reward the good and punish the wicked.
The Messiah will come.
The dead will be resurrected.

Those are the basic tenants of Judaism. Other basic laws are to pray 3 times a day, give charity, not mix milk and meat or eat pork or shellfish, learn Torah everyday, be good and kind.

Judaism doesn't focus on sins so much either. "Turn from evil and do good" is a line that get's brought up a lot. If you are busy doing good all day, when will you find time to sin?

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ThatGuy007 ji some comments in points of differences (most of the rest are pretty much in line with Sikhism give or take an iOTA) from Sikhism counter-poise,

Moses was the greatest of the prophets.
- Our Guru ji insisted to be treated as commoners.
The Written and Oral Torah were given to Moses.
- The writers in Sri Guru Granth Sahib (our Holy book) do not claim to have been given specific scriptures by the creator but they recognize that they and all are from the creator

God will reward the good and punish the wicked.
- Sikhism does not assume God interjecting but such matters get sorted out in the creation that creator created.
The Messiah will come.
- There is no reference to such in Sikhism as creator is considered eternal and the only truth.
The dead will be resurrected.
- There is no reference to such in Sikhism.

Above in the spirit of clarification and mutual sharing.

Sat Sri Akal.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Inderjeet Kaur ji,

Guru Fateh.

You write:

I believe the Jewish claim is built upon the belief that the Deity (God) gave that land to the Jews and everyone else there is an usurper without any rights to it. If I truly believed that the Deity gave me - us - something, I think I would fight to the death against anyone who tried to take God's gift away from me.

I am sure you as a Sikh would not believe in the Jewish kind of deity or any kind of deity as a matter of fact because it is not a Sikhi thing.

This Deity- God- Creator you mentioned does not want the world to live in consonance with his creation. He is a divider and also please allow me to take a bit further that he picks and chooses the way you have explained it.

One more question arises. Who was living on the land before that? As we know that the Abrahamical history is not that ancient.

"Straight from the horse's mouth" is a saying in English, as I'm sure you know, meaning "directly from the source," in this case, that would be Rabbi ji.[/QUOTE]

I am well aware of the expression, in fact, Joyce Cary is my favourite Irish author and "Horse's mouth", is the last book of her trilogy.

Forgive my impertinence, but I have often wondered why we have the tendency to ask the hated why they are hated rather than to ask the haters why they hate?

So, who are the haters and who are hated?

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Sp ji

Guru Fateh.

My Quote:
One Billion Hindus worship idols which is not a blasphemy for them as you claim in number 5 but love for the God. So you mean one billion Hindus are not God's servants?

Your response:

Please re-read both posts. We are saying the same thing.:)

Tejwant Singh

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Thatguy007 ji,

Guru Fateh and thanks for the response.

Yes. G-d has no form and worshiping an avatar or idol is idolatrous according to Judaism.
For me God is the CENTER of all there is. He/she/it is not sitting in the corner and giving itself a time out. The CENTER GOD is surrounded by all different paths, meaning religions. So, all religions should learn how to respect others' beliefs.

2) I don't know where you get you facts but if you do a little reading, you'll see that
I know the facts and the history very well as I am a student of religions so that I can understand myself better in order to breed goodness within as Sikhi teaches us to. So,we are here to interact and learn from each other. Disagreements are part and parcel of our understanding and personal growth. You are free to give me a counter argument because it is unbecoming of anyone especially a Rabbi to undermine others. So, do not be afraid to ask questions when in doubt.

a)Israel isn't the one currently hurling rockets into civilian areas.
Rabbi, the above is actually totally false in many aspects. Let's go one by one in a factual manner. A Sikh is a truth seeker and I hope a Jew is too.
1. Why is Israel with holding millions of dollars in taxes that it gathers for Palestinians? Is this a democratic thing to do and does it breed hatred and animosity?
2. Why would not Israel have the basic needs allow in Gaza? The result of this action by the so called democratic govt breeds hatred and disdain and then the tunnels are dug not only for the food but to retaliate against the oppressors and suppressors. You know about the latter two better than anyone else. History is its proof.
3. Who has the gun ships, fighter jets, tanks, drones and who kills at will and ruthlessly as the history shows. Please be honest.

Here is something more for you to read to know your own facts written by your fellow man:

Did Israel deliberately allow 241 American Marines to die in Lebanon?

"Yes, says Victor Ostrovsky, a former Israeli secret agent. In a new book, By Way of Deception: A Devastating Insider's Portrait of the Mossad, Mr. Ostrovsky says the Israelis had advance notice of the suicide attack that killed 241 Marines in Beirut in October 1983 but withheld the information from the United States in the hope that the attack would poison American Arab relations."

Knowing what we know about the horrific attack on USS Liberty by Israel does this latest news story even surprise you ?

http://www.codoh.com/zionweb/zionsob241d…
Let's get to other facts:

a. How many Palestinians are killed by Israel with all their {censored}nal they possess and How many Israelis are killed by the Palestinians with their rockets in the past 10 years? Be truthful and give me the numbers please.

b)Extremist fighters use children and women as shields during fights.
Well, not long ago Israelis were called extremists and the terrorists by the Brits. I hope you are aware of your own history. So, to call those whose lands are being occupied forcefully by the Israelis is undermining your own ability of truthfulness but it shows great admiration for truthiness.:happysingh:

c) Israel is not the one teaching it's children to kill themselves and other in people in martyrdom.
It is sad to notice, that you have forgotten your own history so soon and in this easy manner. When the Jews were repressed, oppressed and suppressed, they taught their kids the same things. You are insulting your own history by not admitting the facts.
3) Palestine, is Israel. Before it was Israel,it was a part of the British Empire called "Trans-Jordan". Before that, it was part of the Ottoman Empire which gave it no name, before then the Byzantines and Romans. The Romans actually named it Palestine as a way to add insult to injury after conquering it. BUT you do find coins like this:

judea_capta_coin_close.jpg

It says "Ivdea Capta". In Latin that means Judea is captured
.her

One more lie from you Rabbi, which is a shame. Israel also lived in Egypt for many years.Who lived there before all that? Please state facts. It matters naught what the land was called, the fact is that many nomadic peoples lived there from different ethnic backgrounds.
Jews have always historically lived in Israel, even before the modern countries existence. And even in 1948, that land was given by the British to the Jewish people in a legal way. It wasn't stolen, it was given.
Many other peoples besides Jews lived there. Please stop denying the facts and admit and learn your own history. Jews were not given the West Bank and Jerusalem and many other parts which the Israelis occupied forcefully from the Palestine and hence those places are called SETTLEMENTS. Rabbi, it is a shame that you are not being truthful.

Aside from that, it is our homeland given to us by G-d. Would you not fight for something G-d gave you?
Thanks for admitting that the God you serve is some self centered father who does not care for all his children. At worst, he is a dead beat dad. Your God needs some good parenting skills, I am afraid. Why would not your self centered God teach his children to share the land amongst them?

4) Abraham married Hagar, he didn't rape her. Look it up.
One more lie. Abraham raped his slave Hager who bore Ishmael and married his own sister Sarah whom he also raped and who bore Issac.

Let me give you the benefit of the doubt that Abraham married Hager, who gave birth to Ishmael, and then the Muslims are right that it was Ishmael whom your God wanted killed not Issac. You see how you contradict your own statements.

6) Yes. The animal is alive and suffering while you eat it. The same goes for the way people make lobsters and crabs. G-d loves all his creations, and for humans to go around and make them suffer for no reason is both unethical and a sin.
But your kosher style of killing which is the same as lslamic Halal makes the animal suffer more. It is a proven fact and secondly, it is a sacrifice to please your God. Why would your God require pleasing in this manner? What for?
7) They are murders or people who planned to murder. Seems fair to me.
You did not respond the question I asked. Let me repeat what I asked you as you number 7 law:

My question:

7.Establishment of courts of law- It means justice for all. Why are thousands of Palestinians rotting in Israeli jails without any recourse?
Please respond to my question which is in bold truthfully. Is it fair for a democratic country like Israel to hold thousands without recourse and how many Israeli prisoners are rotting in Palestinian prisons in the same manner?

Please give the facts.

We don't even write G-d in Hebrew. We us a letter to suggest intent of whom we are speaking.
You did not understand my question. I know you do not write God in Hebrew because it is NOT a Hebrew word. My question is, do you omit any letters on purpose when you write your God's name Yahveh?

I would like to share that I have many Israeli Jewish friends and business partners in Tel Aviv who think the same way as I do and many of their friends do the same. I visit Israel twice a year and enjoy my stay there tremendously every time.

Let me make something very clear, we are here to learn from each other and learning can only happen when truth is stark naked and there is no denying about it.

Hope to hear from you.

Thanks and regards

Tejwant Singh

Sep 27, 2008
England
SSA
Tejwant Ji i could not agree more on ALL your points on this matter, i will also add that we never get to hear about the thousands of young Israeli teenagers who refuse to join the army and prefer to go to jail, it never gets reported on the media. Crimes like children and pregnant women being shot & killed by the Israeli army never gets reported. Palestine is a concentration camp and anyone that thinks its there gods right should hang there heads in shame shame & shame.

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
This is interfaith we should learn about each others faith here,this is not the Politics and History section.Government policy is not what a Rabbi is about ,he is foremost a man of G-d ,so let us talk about G-d,and discuss faith with a man of faith.(lest the new member be put off)

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
This is interfaith we should learn about each others faith here,this is not the Politics and History section.Government policy is not what a Rabbi is about ,he is foremost a man of G-d ,so let us talk about G-d,and discuss faith with a man of faith.(lest the new member be put off)

Sp ji,

Guru Fateh.

I am afraid you have missed the mark again. All of us are people of Ik Ong Kaar- God- with no exception. In case you did not know that in all Politics, God is sitting in the central rotunda, especially in the 3 Abrahamical religions.

The Rabbi who is the man of God had all the rights to say he would not answer any of my questions which were based on his Jewish laws, but he did and quite well I must say. The Rabbi knows how his religion and the politics are like the glove and the hand.

We are here to learn about each other and if we call ourselves people of God then we should never feel insecure about our own shortcomings as we openly talk about the Hindutva rituals being crept into Sikhi, especially in Harmander Sahib. We, as Sikhs are not ashamed of what is wrong with Sikhi. That is one of the reasons for this forum. It is to improve ourselves so that we can improve Sikhi and make a difference.

Let the Rabbi have his say so that he can also share his short comings about his religion and its practices which affect other people negatively. If The Rabbi can prove me wrong with facts, I will be the first one to apologise.

How can one talk about the God and ignore the sufferings of the people affected by His people? It is nothing but sheer hypocricy. Would you like to indulge in that?

I do not know whether you have been to Israel, but I go there twice a year and know many Israeli Jews who have the same concerns as I do and I did mention those to the Rabbi in my previous post.

So, if I were you, I would stop my old habits of interjecting in things that I may not know much about and wait for the person whom the questions are addressed to have his/her 2 cent worth. It becomes quite unbecoming on our part when we start playing roles that are not given to us to play, to start with.

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Admin note: The fact of there being points of similarity between/among various religions does not contradict there being key differences on basic theological tenets. It would be good if members identify and elaborate on these key differences during debate so that we are not left wondering why there would be arguments if there are no distinctions. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: