• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Ashdoc's Movie Review---The Legend Of Tarzan

ashdoc

Movie Critic
SPNer
Jul 19, 2011
This movie has not impressed the critics , but I liked it . It is the kind of movie that impresses the audiences more than the critics anyway .

The hallmark of the movie is it's great photography of Africa , or rather the scenery of Africa partly created by the special effects team . Dense wild jungles , waterfalls gushing with water and foam , the beautiful greenery shrouded in mist , troops of gorillas barking battle cries and attacking those perceived to be threats , hordes of wildebeests rushing onwards from the grasslands towards the sea , Tarzan and his african allies swinging from tree to tree in the forests , ships sailing their way through winding rivers , armies of africans standing on cliffs ready with their weapons for war , trains pushing their way on railroads built by cutting down jungles , the roar of maxim guns on the plains of Africa , the beauty of Jane and the robust good looks of Tarzan---all has been pictured beautifully .

Music too is heartstopping , full of melody and sentimentality even during action scenes ---this being the unique thing about it .

Tarzan (Alexander Skarsgård ) has left the african jungle to live in England , but is called to investigate whether slavery has been restarted by his serene highness King Leopold of Belgium in Congo . The person who asks him to investigate is played by american---Samuel L Jackson , who accompanies him to Congo . Jane ( Margot Robbie ) insists on going with him against his wishes . But Tarzan soon discovers that there is a plot by the king's agent in africa to deliver him to be killed by his enemy---the king of an african tribe , in return for diamonds that will help Leopold avoid bankruptcy .

But there is also a greater plan by the king and his evil agent ( Christoph Waltz )---to use that entire part of africa for slave labour to earn maximum profit for himself . So will Tarzan be able to bring together all africans and all the animals who heed his beck and call , and fight the evildoers ? Watch the movie for that answers .

The movie has flashbacks of Tarzan's and Jane's past in Africa , and their story is revealed in these flashbacks . And the flashbacks are wonderfully woven around present events . And the present is full of action---action scenes between humans and animals and action scenes between humans and humans .

If there is a lovemaking scene between Tarzan and Jane , I missed it---for the censors are notoriously prudish in my country ( India ) and they might have cut it . But that did not stop me from enjoying the movie . Acting by everyone is decent enough without any fantastic performances .

Verdict---Good .

Three and a half stars .

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM