Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

1.   Become a Supporter    ::   Make a Contribution   
    Target (Recurring Monthly): $200 :: Achieved: $98

Ashdoc's Movie Review---The Conjuring 2

Discussion in 'Theatre, Movies & Cinema' started by ashdoc, Jun 18, 2016.

1. ashdoc

ashdoc India
    Expand Collapse
    Movie Critic SPNer

The film is supposedly based on a 'true' story---that is , if you believe such tales of ghosts and spirits ( i don't ) .

The Warrens ( who have been seen in other films like Conjuring part one and Annabelle ) are called to investigate one more case of a spirit possessing a young girl in England . But just before this Mrs Warren has seen a demonic presence threatening her husband's life during a seance . So she is reluctant to go at first .

The family that has seen the strange happenings in their house are the Hodgsons and the young girl is Janet . They have been abandoned by their father and the mother is the sole caretaker of the family . As they move into the house , the youngest of the children makes first contact with the spirit . This is so typical of horror movies . Most horror movies show the youngest make first contact with the spirit and this is decidedly unoriginal by now . Also , the movie shows most of the family as composed of females . This is again typical---females always seem more vulnerable in situations of horror and many other horror movies make use of this thing . But this is getting repetitive too .

So what's new ? Well , some tricks in the movie are new , some old . The toy vehicle sent into the tent where the spirit resides rolling back on it's wheels to it's original place is something that i have seen before , or so i think . But the remote control of the TV shifting from the girl's hands to another chair---at least i haven't seen this before and distinctly gave me the chills . Also the movie shows a woman who is sceptical of the whole haunting episode and dismisses it as a hoax--this was new for me as most horror movies tend to take themselves too seriously , to the point of not allowing any scepticism about existence of the spirit .

In fact , at one point the Warrens are forced to leave as they are convinced by video evidence that the whole thing is being faked by Janet . So is the existence of the spirit for real ? How is it connected to the demonic presence that nearly killed Mrs Warren's husband in her seance ? Watch the movie for the answers .

Thankfully , the movie does not have the usual exorcism scene of the girl jumping and pumping up and down and spitting out vile juices . Instead , the ending is more like a thriller and hence to my liking . Since i don't believe in ghosts , i don't get scared by the happenings in horror movies . But i do get jolted at some points . And if the jolts are good ( i mean creepy ) , then i like the film . Here , i found myself jolted in the film enough number of times to give the verdict 'decent' about it . I didn't particularly care for the ending though---does really just finding and screaming the name of the demonic influence make it shrink and run away ??!!

Sounds , photography , lights and music---all was in order ; helping in enhancing the effect of the situations . Acting was decent too , by most of the actors . If you really believe in ghosts , the film is good enough to give you a sleepless night immediately after seeing the film .

Verdict---Decent .

Three stars .

• Like Like x 1
  2. Loading...