Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Atheism Alain de Botton: Religion for Atheists

Discussion in 'Interfaith Dialogues' started by Ishna, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Ishna

Ishna
    Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor

The presentation is available here: http://www.abc.net.au/tv/bigideas/stories/2012/03/19/3455152.htm

• Like Like x 1
  2. Archived_member15

Archived_member15
    Expand Collapse

I think this is very interesting Ishna ji peacesignkaur
    It reminds me of one of my favourite recent books by an atheist on religion: The Book of Atheist Spirituality by Andre Comte-Sponville. The arguement is different from Alain de Botton's in that the latter advocates "religion for atheists" whereas Comte argues that atheists should be spiritual without religion. Apart from that, I sense a common purpose.

It is so very respectful and considerate of religious belief, even though his very compelling arguement is (as the blurb explains):

Its a book that has had a powerful impression on me. I highly recommend it.

He does not instigate a virulent and closed-minded attack on religion like 'New Atheists' such as Richard Dawkins or Sam Harris ('militant atheism'), rather he coolly and clearly says why he is not a believer and makes a very compelling case for it. I just love this book.

Read:

If I ever became an atheist (which I'm not at least any time soon ;) ) it would be Comte's style of atheism.

Another little book I like is:

Teach Yourself Humanism (Teach Yourself General): Amazon.co.uk: Mark Vernon: Books

"Teach Yourself Humanism" by Mark Vernon, an ex-priest who is now an agnostic.

• Like Like x 1
    #2 Archived_member15, Dec 15, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  3. Archived_member15

Archived_member15
    Expand Collapse

I am interested in his idea of being "fully human" because it reminds me of some statements from my own faith tradition:

#3 Archived_member15, Dec 15, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  4. Kanwaljit Singh

Kanwaljit Singh India
    Expand Collapse
    Apache Spark, Scala developer
    Writer SPNer