• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Airport Prayer Rooms

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Ever been inside one of these? I don't particularly recommend it.

This morning I fly out again for work. Alarm got me out of bed at 3.30am.

When I got to the airport, I thought I'd do my Japji Sahib in the prayer room. Reciting it out loud is awesome (I don't know about you, but I practically end up singing it).

prayer-room.jpg

Having never been inside one, I wasn't sure what to expect. It was a small, quiet, carpeted room with a Muslim prayer mat facing Mecca. It had a shoe rack, a couple of armchairs and a small cupboard. On top of the cupboard was a Quran and a Bible. The Bible was open to John. The Quran was closed. The lighting was non-intrusive.

So I left my shoes by the shoe rack, quietened myself, and because I like to, I picked a direction and did matha tek to Waheguru. Then I sat and recited Japji Sahib.

About 10 paurhis in, the door rattled and it frightened the beejeebus out of me. I was in the zone, and then in walked a man. I asked if he needed me to leave, but he said no, it was ok.

He did his Muslim prayers quietly and left. I read. When he was gone, I resumed singing.

I would have the crap frightened out of me another three times. Ladies and men. They retrieved more mats from the cupboard.

When I was done, I couldn't chant shalok out loud, which was disappointing. I did my last matha tek, and left.

Next time, I think I'll just read it in my head, by a window.

ActsOfGod

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
Sikhs don't need prayer rooms. The entire creation is singing the Creators praises every instant. We can read Bani anytime, anywhere, there are no restrictions. No need for special mats, facing in any particular direction, chanting, ritualism.

[AoG]

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
I am personally against these prayer rooms which are specially installed at the airports mainly for the Muslims because they have to face Mecca while praying. which makes it a mechanical ritual, nothing more.

Ishna ji, I use my ipod during these occasions or no occasion,

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
For me you don't need to close your eyes to see inside or the unseen; you don't need to call out for God as he is too close to be spoken to; you don't need to touch anything to reach the creator as he is not separate.

So what do I do?

Experience everywhere and in all; nowhere and in no one in particular :)

Sat Sri Akal.

Brother Onam

Writer
SPNer
Jul 11, 2012
Ever been inside one of these? I don't particularly recommend it.

This morning I fly out again for work. Alarm got me out of bed at 3.30am.

When I got to the airport, I thought I'd do my Japji Sahib in the prayer room. Reciting it out loud is awesome (I don't know about you, but I practically end up singing it).

View attachment 19788

Having never been inside one, I wasn't sure what to expect. It was a small, quiet, carpeted room with a Muslim prayer mat facing Mecca. It had a shoe rack, a couple of armchairs and a small cupboard. On top of the cupboard was a Quran and a Bible. The Bible was open to John. The Quran was closed. The lighting was non-intrusive.

So I left my shoes by the shoe rack, quietened myself, and because I like to, I picked a direction and did matha tek to Waheguru. Then I sat and recited Japji Sahib.

About 10 paurhis in, the door rattled and it frightened the beejeebus out of me. I was in the zone, and then in walked a man. I asked if he needed me to leave, but he said no, it was ok.

He did his Muslim prayers quietly and left. I read. When he was gone, I resumed singing.

I would have the crap frightened out of me another three times. Ladies and men. They retrieved more mats from the cupboard.

When I was done, I couldn't chant shalok out loud, which was disappointing. I did my last matha tek, and left.

Next time, I think I'll just read it in my head, by a window.

Why does someone walking into a prayer-room "frighten the crap out of you" repeatedly?
Are we Singhs? I can't imagine Guru Gobind Singh being so easily rattled.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Because the prayer room was so quiet and whenever someone used the door it made a loud clunking sound that startled me as I wasn't expecting it.

Brother Onam

Writer
SPNer
Jul 11, 2012
Have you never been in a state of contemplation and a sudden loud noise has caused you to jump, @Brother Onam Ji?
I rather liked the part where you said that you do the paath so vigorously that you sometimes find yourself singing it out loud. When someone walks in on that, I think it would inspire awe and curiosity about Sikh panth, plus, they would surely find another place or time for their salat.
Maybe it's just the phrasing: it doesn't sound right that a Singh of Waheguru would have the "crap frightened out of them", by small things.
Peace

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Your grandchildren must have a hard time playing jokes to frighten you by jumping out when you don't expect them to! I think you're the only person I've ever met who doesn't get startled by anything. I imagine it took a lot of practice to reach such a state of mind.

I don't doubt that they could hear me singing when they came to open the door. I understand their prayers are more physical than mine, and their God keeps count of their prayers, so I don't begrudge them using the space. They need it more than I do.

Just out of curiosity, is there a reason you only say "Singhs of Waheguru"? Do you use it to apply to both genders?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I rather liked the part where you said that you do the paath so vigorously that you sometimes find yourself singing it out loud. When someone walks in on that, I think it would inspire awe and curiosity about Sikh panth, plus, they would surely find another place or time for their salat.
Maybe it's just the phrasing: it doesn't sound right that a Singh of Waheguru would have the "crap frightened out of them", by small things.
Peace

Oh I don't know, I am not scared of much myself, I've been in quite a few scary situations, dealt with most of them through humour, however, jump up on me when I am singing in the shop, and I scream like a baby.

Apr 11, 2007
Now that's scary.... I was wondering if screaming is actually prayerful in any society as a pure new born baby cries called harkin? Just a thought!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: