• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

A Sikh Without His Flowing Hair And Turban

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
how do you know how Waheguru wants us to live?

as Mai ji said and is written in SGGS, God is above anger.

KulwantK

SPNer
Oct 31, 2007
Sat Nam, Ji
Excellent!-"Why try to fit in when you were only born to stand out"-how true! Thank you! In fact, you may have just written the key to getting Sikh men to keep their hair, beard and turban, and to encourage the Sikh women to keep hair and turban, too! One of the reasons we are to keep these things is for us to not try to hide, but to be visible so people in need can come to us for help. When I began keeping hair and turban, it started to happen, and continues- people are always asking for my help, and I am happy to give it. If I can't directly, I get them to someone who can. It's sewa, and that is one of the things we do for the community at large. Perhaps that is one reason why there are those who do not wish to keep hair and turban- maybe they could be afraid of doing this sewa, perhaps? If so, why would they be reluctant to take on this sewa? A fear of responsibility, maybe? Those who do not engage their responsibilities will lose their rights. This could be a point to bring up to those who are thinking about not keeping hair, beard and turban. Helping others no matter who they are is one of the big points of Sikhism. Help others, and God and Guru shall help you, we could say to those who are thinking about not keeping hair, beard and turban.
Wahe Guru,
Kulwant

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
how do you know how Waheguru wants us to live?

as Mai ji said and is written in SGGS, God is above anger.

I think you should study jap ji sahib for the meaning of thay, but i will get you started.

Renounce ego, and keep god in mind at all times, so you do not entertain your ego. that would be what the first or second verse implies, i forget which verse it is.

nwnk hukmY jy buJY q haumY khY n koie ]2] (1-10, jpu, mÚ 1)
naanak hukmai jay bujhai ta ha-umai kahai na ko-ay. ||2||
O Nanak, one who understands His Command, does not speak in ego. ||2||

May 30, 2007
respect for god and hygenical reasons (keeps hair cleaner, assuming you also clean your head covering, etc

Sat Siri Akal

Following sikhi n obeying Guru's words is difficult but by following Guru's every word one become super strong from mind n body.Kesh r blessings of guruji n must be held with great honor n respect.Glowing hairs r indication of great health while rough n broken hairs indicate bad health of inside system particularly digestive system n also an indication that one is not following Guruji 's another message as under:

"Thora Sonvey Thora he Khavey Gursikh sohey Sahaj Samavey."

A gursikh is one who sleeps less n eat just desired(little belly full n no overeating n with gap of next hunger call from within).Such gursikhs r always calm at mind n remain immersed in naam ras.Only such gursikhs r free of any health problems n possess glowing hairs.hairs r indicators that a gursikh is following guruji's rule of less eating (just desired) n less sleeping n beyond.

Following Guru is too important to overcome all health problems of today n to stay calm,relaxed n at peace all time.Great anand is experienced when following Guru's words.Mind is always under one's command n evils within never bother a sikh.So why wait to follow whatever guruji says.
Sat Siri Akal :)

May 30, 2007
True my friend.Has anyone seen a Lion hiding in jungle.It walks straight as the king of Jungle n fears nothing.Capable of killing world biggest land animals like elephants n giraffes it stands out as the most powerful king of the land....Guru made us lions n so we must stand-out like Lions.We should fear nothing...Eat good with ur belly TIGHT like lions do.Lions weight is nearly 200-250 kgs while it can eat 40 kgs of its diet at a time during a day i.e nearly 1/5 of its body weight n then fight back more than one lion who dare to enter the pride or caputre his territory....

Looking at the qualities in sikhs Guru honoured us with the crown of Lionship n we must retain it always...Be a lion,become a lion,......LIONS FEAR NOTHING..THEY FIGHT BACK THE BIG GOVTS N ERADICATE THE BIG EMPIRES...JUST LIKE WE ERASED THE ENTIRE MUGAL EMPIRE..FEW HUNDREDS VS THOUSANDS N STILL LIONS WERE THE WINNER....SO BE A GURU KA LION....KING N ONLY KING..ALWAYS...A SIKH WITHOUT HAIRS N TURBAN HOLDS NO CROWN OF A LION....:up:

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
When I began keeping hair and turban, it started to happen, and continues- people are always asking for my help, and I am happy to give it. If I can't directly, I get them to someone who can. It's sewa, and that is one of the things we do for the community at large. Perhaps that is one reason why there are those who do not wish to keep hair and turban- maybe they could be afraid of doing this sewa, perhaps? If so, why would they be reluctant to take on this sewa? A fear of responsibility, maybe? Those who do not engage their responsibilities will lose their rights. This could be a point to bring up to those who are thinking about not keeping hair, beard and turban. Helping others no matter who they are is one of the big points of Sikhism. Help others, and God and Guru shall help you, we could say to those who are thinking about not keeping hair, beard and turban.
Wahe Guru,
Kulwant

ਮੈ ਗੁਰ ਮਿਲਿ ਉਚ ਦੁਮਾਲੜਾ ॥
मै गुर मिलि उच दुमालड़ा ॥
Mai gur mil ucumālā.
I met with the Guru, and I have tied a tall, plumed turban.
Guru Arjan Dev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]

ਖੂਬੁ ਤੇਰੀ ਪਗਰੀ ਮੀਠੇ ਤੇਰੇ ਬੋਲ ॥
खूबु तेरी पगरी मीठे तेरे बोल ॥

Kūb ėrī pagrī mīṯẖė ėrė bol.
How handsome is your turban! And how sweet is your speech.
Devotee Namdev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Dasam Granth Sahib

Page 380, Line 5
Their necklaces of gems glistened and their turbans looked graceful on the heads of both the warriors of the same age.

Page 650, Line 5
The forces of both sides moved for mutual union; all of them had tied red turbans and they looked very impressive filled with joy and gaiety;

Page 1048, Line 1
His turban was removed and tying his hands and feet, he was thrown in a well; no one advised for his release and contemplated to kill him.2056.

Jan 15, 2008
Kansas & Haiti
Is it just me or is the dastar on the upswing here in the States? Seems like I see more and more of them but I don't know if it's just because I notice them now or if they really are becoming more common. It seems like Western Sikhs are so EXCITED about Sikhi! Know what I mean?

Jan 15, 2008
Kansas & Haiti
.... I see, I see. A lot of black power from your side :wink:.
Nice ones, anyway.
busted. :whisling:

If I knew how to insert a photo in these posts I'd show you a picture of my husband (who so kindly allows me to practice tying dastar on him). But you'd have to put on your sunglasses first, cuz he's so gorgeous he'd knock your eyes out.

:thumbup:

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
I think that any man who would trade the commanding presence of a Sikh man in dastar for looking like anyone else out on the street is just crazy. Check out these men!

Young men complain that the young ladies insist on a man with a naked face and shorn head hairs.

[Note aside: I don't use 'clean-shaven' as that implies having the facial hairs may be dirty.]

Especially after looking at all those extremely handsome. masculine-looking keshdhari men, :ice: I would amend your statement slightly, if I may.

I think that anywoman who would trade the commanding presence of a Sikh man in dastar for one looking like everyone else out on the street is just crazy. :crazy: Believe me, if the young women insist on unshorn hairs on their men, the men will soon enough quit this cutting.

Jan 15, 2008
Kansas & Haiti
... I think that anywoman who would trade the commanding presence of a Sikh man in dastar for one looking like everyone else out on the street is just crazy. :crazy:

I completely AGREE. I can't imagine not seeing the beauty in a Sikh man with his turban, long hair and flowing beard. Wow... My husband thinks himself as a Christian but he has been reading SGGS with me and about 3 months ago he just up and quit cutting his hair and beard.
I was like -- :{;o: Then he started letting me practice tying dastar on him. I've noticed the past few weeks he's been asking me to tie a dastar on him because he says they just feel good. I can't keep my eyes off him.

:)

Believe me, if the young women insist on unshorn hairs on their men, the men will soon enough quit this cutting.
That's so true. Those girls are caught up in peer pressure I guess. They're fighting a battle as well. I know one young man whose girlfriend broke up with him when he stopped cutting hairs and put on a turban. He was really hurt but he let her go and kept on following his Guru, even stepping it up a notch wearing 5 Ks and even the longs shirts (forgot what their called). Eventually she realized what a dope she'd been and went back to him. I was so impressed by his commitment that he would let the girl walk away even though he loved her... and at such a young age. I think he's only 17 or 18.

Amazing, huh? Girls need to get their heads on straight. And sometimes a man who will let her go rather than compromise his faith will help a girl do that. :wink:

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
I am not sure if turban can make any one lion or more beautiful than others; however, if one is not in a Sikh attire( Turban and 5 Ks), he has to tell others who is he, Hindu, CHritian, Muslim , Bhodhism etc contrary to that, one who is in a Sikh attire needs not any introduction, that is the beauty I have been enjoying for a long time. :shy:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: