Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Learn Punjabi A Great App For Learning Gurmukhi and Some Basic Vocabulary

Discussion in 'Language, Arts & Culture' started by Harkiran Kaur, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Harkiran Kaur

Harkiran Kaur Canada
    Expand Collapse

Leader

Writer SPNer Contributor

This is an Android App. IT's only 1.98 so you can't expect a whole lot of vocabulary, but it does have a lot of basic vocabulary like numbers, greetings, basic questions etc. But the reason I like it is the interface for learning Gurmukhi! I can actually now recognize quite a few letters, and I am starting to be able to sound out the words phoneticallyin Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji (even if I don't know what all the words mean).

The interface for Gurmukhi gives you a board, where you can trace the letter to learn to write it, you can click a button to hear the letter, and click an image to see a word where that letter is used.

My only beef is that it does not get into the vowels... at all. I think its kind of important to know how the vowel accents change the sounds. I am starting to recognize some just by seeing them in words (like the candycane shape pointing to the left is the 'i' sound like 'eee') but I didn't learn that from the app. I just noticed it on my own. The app SHOULD have a section just for the vowels.

But what can you expect for 1.98??? It's still WELL worth the price!!!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...xLDEsImNvbS5xdWl6bWluZS5hbmRyb2lkcHVuamFiaSJd

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    #1 Harkiran Kaur, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2013
  2. Loading...