• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Events 40 Mukte | 40 Immortals Of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji Vs 10 Lac Huge Army

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Never heard, Never thought, Never imagined..Is that possible? 40 brave men taking head on fight with a huge army of 10 lac people and emerging victorious! But who were these 40 men Im talking about? These 40 were sikhs who fought under the leadership of 10th sikh Guru Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji.

chali-mukte.jpg

Indian historians have been very biased in mentioning such events of glorious sikh history where sikhs have not for their interests but for India to save it ancient culture, people and religion(Hinduism). That’s the glory of Khalsa (the saint soldier) created by Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji.

I personally experienced the same biased behavior in the educational system of India. Either its the sacrifice of 9th Sikh Guru Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji (who gave his head not for himself but for saving Hindu religion) or the sacrifices of 5 and 7 year old young sons of Sri Guru Gobind Singh ji who were bricked alive at Sirhind for not accepting Islam.

How great were those young sikh saints of 5 and 7 year old would have been who refused to bow to the tyrant mughal regime in India when lakhs and crores of Hindus at that time could not raise a single voice against them and forcefully accepting Islam.

Having said that when you study the history books prescribed to schools all over India by NCERT which are having the stories of those of Asokas, ChandraGuptas and then about the tyrant Islamis Regime of Baabar, Jahangir, Aurangzeb.

The strange thing is that we are still the slaves of those Islamic rulers by mentioning them in bold in our Indian history rather than mentioning the great sacrifices of sikh martyrs who gave everything of theirs for India. Also to my surprise Sikh Gurus who always spoke against injustice of the tyrant rulers have no or very little mention.

Coming to the 40 vs 10 lakh battle, it happened in Chamkaur Sahib where 40 sikhs along with 10th Sikh Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji fought this battle under Guru Ji’s leadership. The planning was such that Guru Ji sent sikhs in a group of 5 and with the power spiritual meditation(Bhakti) and martial training (Shakti), a single sikh soldier fought with and handled 1000s(thousands) of mughals on their own. In this battle two elder sons of Guru Gobind Singh Ji also fought whom Guru Ji himself sent and asked them to take enemy head on. They both fought bravely and confronted the huge army of enemy.

The names of the Chalih Mukte are listed as follows: (1). Bhai Bhag Singh (2). Bhai Dilbag Singh (3). Bhai Mann Singh (4). Bhai Nidhan Singh (5). Bhai Kharbara Singh (6). Bhai Darbara Singh (7). Bhai Dyal Singh (8). Bhai Nihal Singh (9). Bhai Khushal Singh (10). Bhai Ganda Singh (11). Bhai Ishmer Singh (12). Bhai Singha (13). Bhai Bhalla Singh (14). Bhai Suhel Singh (15). Bhai Chamba Singh (16). Bhai Ganga Singh (17). Bhai Sumer Singh (18). Bhai Sultan Singh (19). Bhai Maya Singh (20). Bhai Massa Singh (21). Bhai Sarja Singh (22). Bhai Sadhu Singh (23). Bhai Gulab Singh (24). Bhai Harsa Singh (25). Bhai Sangat Singh (26). Bhai Hari Singh (27). Bhai Dhana Singh (28). Bhai Karam Singh (29). Bhai Kirt Singh (30). Bhai Lachman Singh (31). Bhai Buddha Singh (32). Bhai Kesho Singh (33). Bhai Jado Singh (34). Bhai Sobha Singh (35). Bhai Bhanga Singh (36). Bhai Joga Singh (37). Bhai Dharam Singh (38). Bhai Karam Singh (39). Bhai Kala Singh (40). Bhai Mahan Singh.

When we look at the history of great warriors and kings of the earth, on one side is King Dashrat(a father who could not face Lord Ram 14 year exile(vanvaas)) and Raja Dashrat died in the love of Ram. Same way Jesus Christ as a father could not withstand his son being killed in front of him and asked the enemy to cover his eyes with a black cloth as he could not withstand such an incident.

Even Mahara Pratap a brave warrior also surrendered in front of Akbar as he could not withstand the hunger of his daughter. How great a father was Dhan Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji was who himself sent his sons to battle field saying “Go son I want to see you fighting for truth, humanity and save this country(India) from the clutches of slavery”.

This battle was hard fought and sikhs won it with the grace of Almighty.An unbiased Muslim writer Hakim Allah Yar Khan Jogi Says: “Teerath hai dharti pe do ik Chamakaur ik Sirhind,Katwaye jaha Baap ne Chaar apne Farzand”(There are only two pilgrimages in this world One is Chamkaur and other is Sirhind where four sons were sacrificed by Dhan Guru Gobind Singh for religion).

Last edited:

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
This often disappoints me why some biased Historians were let have their way. I always compare Sri Rabinder Nath Tagore Ji with Mr. M.K. Gandhi.
Tagore Ji writes a full poem on Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji " Gobind Veera" its so beautiful, one can read it many times and enjoy it; and other guy without understanding Gutu panth, judges Tenth Nanak with his narrow knowledge.
These are the people who do not learn from the world how unity of a country is kept intact.

M S Daas

SPNer
Jan 14, 2013
Gurfateh ji!
I was just searching articles on 40 mukte who made the ultimate sacrifices at the battle of mukatsar in april/may (22 Visakh) 1705. there are so many self contradicting things.

1) Regarding the bedawa, is it just a scam to discredit the honesty and sincerity towards Guru sahib by those brave sikhs? Also this thing raises questions about the leadership of Guru sahib that sikhs were going against his will.

2) How come it was possible that Mughals, who had been fighting for so many months with the Sikhs, let those 40 sikhs go away? In those days there ware no other ways of communication, so the Mughals never thought for a moment that these sikhs can go and inform other sikhs about what was happening in Anandpur sahib, gather them and come back to confront the mughals?

3) Then our own ragis and katha vachak make this story more interesting by saying, when B. Mahan Singh reached home and told his wife about leaving Guru sahib, she took off her bangles (choorian) and asked Mahan singh to wear them as she was going to serve Guru sahib. What a drama? In Gurmat there is no place for choorian, nakel, kante, mundran etc., but only thing prescribed is `karha'. and they also say Mai Bhago was also a great warrior, so she must knew gatka and martial arts, wearing choorian is a tradition of some where else and NOT for the brave lionesses.

4) Guru sahib described Anandpur's situation and Battle of Chamkaur in Zafarnama (the letter of Victory) sent to Aurangzeb, and there is no ref. of any sikh writing Bedawa, so I don't understand who started this rumor that now every parcharak is saying by heart to Discredit guru sahib and the brave sikhs.

5) Only Prof. Sahib Singh suggested thses 40 sikhs were those who survived battle at river sarsa and were driven away by the currents of river, and when they outcome that may be by that time they were thrown far away. then after searching Guru sahib, when they could not find, they returned home. After a few months when they heard about Guru Sahib in Malwa area, and wazir khan's army coming, they rushed towards guru sahib, met guru sahib near Khidrana, apologized for their helplessness as they were separated from Guru sahib at Sarsa river battle. Guru sahib blessed them, forgave them. and those 40 brave sikhs fought very hard and finally won that battle.

Further clarifications on the above are welcome.
Thanks

Jan 14, 2010
Never heard, Never thought, Never imagined..Is that possible? 40 brave men taking head on fight with a huge army of 10 lac people and emerging victorious! But who were these 40 men Im talking about? These 40 were sikhs who fought under the leadership of 10th sikh Guru Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji.

Indian historians have been very biased in mentioning such events of glorious sikh history where sikhs have not for their interests but for India to save it ancient culture, people and religion(Hinduism). That’s the glory of Khalsa (the saint soldier) created by Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji.

I personally experienced the same biased behavior in the educational system of India. Either its the sacrifice of 9th Sikh Guru Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji (who gave his head not for himself but for saving Hindu religion) or the sacrifices of 5 and 7 year old young sons of Sri Guru Gobind Singh ji who were bricked alive at Sirhind for not accepting Islam.

How great were those young sikh saints of 5 and 7 year old would have been who refused to bow to the tyrant mughal regime in India when lakhs and crores of Hindus at that time could not raise a single voice against them and forcefully accepting Islam.

Having said that when you study the history books prescribed to schools all over India by NCERT which are having the stories of those of Asokas, ChandraGuptas and then about the tyrant Islamis Regime of Baabar, Jahangir, Aurangzeb.

The strange thing is that we are still the slaves of those Islamic rulers by mentioning them in bold in our Indian history rather than mentioning the great sacrifices of sikh martyrs who gave everything of theirs for India. Also to my surprise Sikh Gurus who always spoke against injustice of the tyrant rulers have no or very little mention.

Coming to the 40 vs 10 lakh battle, it happened in Chamkaur Sahib where 40 sikhs along with 10th Sikh Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji fought this battle under Guru Ji’s leadership. The planning was such that Guru Ji sent sikhs in a group of 5 and with the power spiritual meditation(Bhakti) and martial training (Shakti), a single sikh soldier fought with and handled 1000s(thousands) of mughals on their own. In this battle two elder sons of Guru Gobind Singh Ji also fought whom Guru Ji himself sent and asked them to take enemy head on. They both fought bravely and confronted the huge army of enemy.

When we look at the history of great warriors and kings of the earth, on one side is King Dashrat(a father who could not face Lord Ram 14 year exile(vanvaas)) and Raja Dashrat died in the love of Ram. Same way Jesus Christ as a father could not withstand his son being killed in front of him and asked the enemy to cover his eyes with a black cloth as he could not withstand such an incident.

Even Mahara Pratap a brave warrior also surrendered in front of Akbar as he could not withstand the hunger of his daughter. How great a father was Dhan Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji was who himself sent his sons to battle field saying “Go son I want to see you fighting for truth, humanity and save this country(India) from the clutches of slavery”.

This battle was hard fought and sikhs won it with the grace of Almighty.An unbiased Muslim writer Hakim Allah Yar Khan Jogi Says: “Teerath hai dharti pe do ik Chamakaur ik Sirhind,Katwaye jaha Baap ne Chaar apne Farzand”(There are only two pilgrimages in this world One is Chamkaur and other is Sirhind where four sons were sacrificed by Dhan Guru Gobind Singh for religion).
Gurufateh ji

I had a discussion with one of my college on this topic he told me history has no record of 4o odd men fighting against 10 lac Mughals I know its against their prestige as he was Muslim, then I start searching for this though you have rightly mentioned that about Allah Yar Khan but still we need to find out this in history that to written by Non Sikh. if you got any details regarding do post to me

chardikala

Apr 11, 2007
This article is doing exactly what your acusing the hindu government for you are also doing the same thing of putting a bias towards Muslims. Muslims laid the foundations of the Golden Temple. Bhagat Farid and Bhagat Kabir, laid the foundations of Sikhism this article is no better sir. Instead it would be better to formulate expressions on mughal rule extensively and with knowledge instead of creating divides upon religions.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: