Join us as we unite with individuals & organizations around the nation to take a stand against racial profiling.
to send a letter to your Senators to urge them to co-sponsor and support the End Racial Profiling Act (ERPA – S. 1670).
Racial profiling is the practice of targeting and/or treating individuals differently based on their actual or perceived race, ethnicity, religion, or national origin. Racial and religious profiling has proven to be an unsuccessful and ineffective method of fighting crime utilizing stereotypes as its bases. This degrades groups and leads to distrust towards our nation’s law enforcement.
What is ERPA?
The End Racial Profiling Act of 2011 (ERPA) will ban profiling by federal, state and local law enforcement based on race, ethnicity, religion, or national origin.
ERPA takes these important steps to ban racial profiling:
· Makes it unlawful for federal, state, local, or Indian tribal law enforcement to profile based on race, religion, ethnicity or national origin;
· Creates a private right of action for victims of profiling, which would allow individuals who believe they have been subject to racial profiling to sue the agent or agency they believe to have violated ERPA;
Allows the U.S. Attorney General to withhold grants from state law enforcement agencies that are not complying with ERPA;
· Requires training on racial profiling for law enforcement agents;
· Requires data collection and monitoring mechanisms such as complaint processes; and
· For the first time, ERPA prohibits racial profiling in the context of law enforcement surveillance activities.
What YOU can do to help:
Email a letter of support today!
This Sunday, June 17th, UNITED SIKHS will join individuals and organizations across the nation in New York City to march against racial profiling. As we prepare, we ask you to send letters to Senators, asking them to co=sponsor and support ERPA S. 1670.
Now, as the national conversation on racial and religious profiling is at its peak, we must unite against racial profiling and be heard by our elected officials.Reference:: Sikh Philosophy Network http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/united-sikhs/38671-join-us-to-end-racial-profiling.html
Along with e-mailing your Senators,
Tweet your support for the End Racial Profiling Act!
#EndRP2012 #Racialprofiling #ERPA
Tweet these Senators and urge them to support the bill!
• Brown (OH): @SenSherrodBrown
• Franken (MN): @Alfranken
• Graham (SC): @Grahamblog
• Schumer (NY): @ChuckSchumer
• Wyden (OR): @RonWydenReference:: Sikh Philosophy Network http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/showthread.php?t=38671
Sikh Americans have become too familiar with racial profiling, from airport screenings to traffic stops, it is time to put an end to this! TAKE ACTION NOW!
International Civil and Human Rights Advocacy