• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Who is Bhai Dhirmal?

NOONDSH

SPNer
Dec 14, 2023

SGPC have a section about Sri Guru Granth Sahib. It says how the Guru Granth Sahib Came to be in the first section. It says the following

"...Guru Arjan got the original after binding. He installed the GUru Granth Sahib at Harmandir Sahib on 1604. Baba Buddha was appointed its first Granthi or keeper. This copy passed into custody of Bhai Dhirmal, son of Guru Hargobind, who refused to give it to the Guru..."

Who is Bhai Dhirmal? Is he revered in Sikhi? Why did he refuse to give a copy of Adi Granth to Guru Harogobind?

gjsingh

SPNer
Oct 29, 2013
My understanding is that the Dhirmal line's intransigence is simply another example of the greed, envy and lust for power that we see everywhere and at all times. In this case it was leavened, of course, by the True Guru's clear disregard for the patriarchal norms of those days (i.e., the gaddi repeatedly being passed to a younger son over a older son.)

I am no theologian, but don't find it very remarkable; that said, this faction's disappearance at the present day does seem to confirm my conclusion.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: