• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sardar Jokes And Hindus' Rights To Free Speech

FireStorm

SPNer
Jun 3, 2004
UK
We already have a section called "Sikh Spectrum" which contains some case similar cases... Should we change this sections name to Sikh Media Watch ? Just a suggestion.

>> Yes I think so, as Media watch will probably give it more visibility. It should also be made into a larger section on front page,with prominent message display, different colour and bolder font ; inviting all to share their observations. We all watch TV and read newspapers, and no one person will be able to sift through the information overload.

Hence contribution from all members will be appreciated and required.

Agreed. Can we have a list/pointer of individuals/organisations that we can approach directly in this regard.

>> I think this will have to be dynamic and a bit of work will be involved here. For e.g. in case of a particular serial, we can approach the TV Channel, the Producer/Director if available, The Minorities Commission etc.

We also need to publish PDF copies of our letters for public access so that evrything is crystal clear.

:whisling:

May 24, 2008
We already have a section called "Sikh Spectrum" which contains some case similar cases... Should we change this sections name to Sikh Media Watch ? Just a suggestion.

>> Yes I think so, as Media watch will probably give it more visibility. It should also be made into a larger section on front page,with prominent message display, different colour and bolder font ; inviting all to share their observations. We all watch TV and read newspapers, and no one person will be able to sift through the information overload.

Hence contribution from all members will be appreciated and required.

Agreed. Can we have a list/pointer of individuals/organisations that we can approach directly in this regard.

>> I think this will have to be dynamic and a bit of work will be involved here. For e.g. in case of a particular serial, we can approach the TV Channel, the Producer/Director if available, The Minorities Commission etc.

We also need to publish PDF copies of our letters for public access so that evrything is crystal clear.

:whisling:

WJKK WJKF,
This menace of Sardar Jokes must be curbed at all costs as it is affecting the morale of younger generation of boys & girls very much . They r simply not able to comprehend to as to why they r being targetted . We must all make utmost effort to curb this practice especially amongst the sub- continent . Yesterday I read a similar distasteful Sardar joke in daily dawn ( 4th July , 2008 ) in Opinions Section by Ayesha Siddiqa . I like all the members to go through this & give her a piece of their minds at ayesha.ibd@gmail.com . Read the exact version at DAWN - Opinion; July 04, 2008
Regards ,
Dalbir Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I got an email from the editor and he promised he would send my feedback to Veer Sanghvi.

However I havent heard from them since I sent the email.

I think that we should not go in for a petition at this point in time.

I think a step by step course of action should be as follows:

1. Rather on SPN itself a separate section titled Media watch should be made. The purpose of this section would be to report all incidents of misleading potrayal of the sikh image.

The moderators can work with the members to sift through incidents, to have a concise list of incidents which amount to wrong potrayal of the sikh image.

In this we will have ready database of all such character potrayals and this will pave the way for a stronger petitiononline, which can make in due course of time.

2. The next step should be to wrote to individuals and organisations and let our feelings known in a civilised manner in a meaningful manner. The emails/letters to be sent should be written and discussed in the forum before being sent.

3. on a parellel front we should be in touch with Saldef or similar organisations to leverage upon their knowledge base.

4. Political parties or affliation should be COMPLETELY AVOIDED, AS THIS WILL ONLY LEAD TO CONTROVERSIES RATHER THAN SOLUTION. Anyway if they were interested they would have done something about this long ago.

Awaiting further feedbacks.

From a moderator

We have forum sub forum called SIKH MEDIA WATCH, so we would need a different title. However, it would be next to no work at all to open a thread with a different but forceful title -- Let's think about suggestions.

If you can think of a systematic way of sending those articles in, particularly if there are links to newspaper articles, I know that other mods would be willing to participate. Certainly i would take the time to keep a thread updated if given the information.

You can start today if you want. I check the forum on a regular basis.

Antonia:)

May 24, 2008
This answer I found from another site by Sehajk5 , so with all due regards to him I'm posting it here .

" First of all we live in a world where we are a minority, even in our own homeland. Then secondly we being a minority are more likely to be noticed for anything done by our society, especially the wrong things. The biggest problem that I see in our Punjabi society is, consumption of alcohol on a very large scale and then not even realizing that it is bad. Elders in the family drink in front of youngsters and even kids. The worst part is we Punjabi's consider it to be good when drinking is done in moderation. How wrong some one can be. Who can define moderation? Every one has different perspective of moderation and moreover our religion says no alcohol, then why promote alcohol. Other communities on large scale believe that our religion does not prohibit alcohol consumption. Punjabi songs clearly states that it is cool to be drunk and flirt around. our Punjabi media is clearly damaging our youth without even giving us time to think that what actually is happening around us. Why is it Punjabi songs have to be about driving around in Jeep's, carrying guns and acting all barbaric. Why can't we be pictured as sophisticated members of the society by our own Punjabi media. Our media is advertising us in every bad possible way in front of other religions. Even some sikh Punjabi families don't want their kids to be watching all those crappy Punjabi songs and movies then why won't Gujuratis, Marathi's or any other person will keep themselves or their kids away from us.

We are portrayed as people who like to pick up fight on anything without any reason, we are known as for our bravery not in productive but in a bad way.

We all need to first start from our house and then we will see the difference in others. Our sikh brothers make fun of sardars on national indian T.V. all these so called Punjabi stars even including comedians don't have beards, or turbans and make jokes on drunkards. In the world people don't seem to know our great religion instead of preaching them about our Guru's and SGGS we have been preaching culture of Punjab which is completely gone away from it's religion.

I have had sikh friends and all they do is" jatt ne chak dene aa phatte" now what is this, is this something very cool well let me tell any one who supports this phrase, it actually annoys every one and gives an impression of uneducated people.

why not start from our own home and let's stop watching those idiotic videos, stop listening to any one who does not support sikhi saroop and who promotes alcohol. we all picked up on Vipul Shah and Akshay Kumar for not showing a beard in bollywood movie, what about Harbhajan Mann, if I am correct he doesn't have kesh and a turban or any other singer. Why do we enjoy his songs and stop bollywood movies. Bollywood people can raise this question to us that we don't have problem with our Punjabi singers, actors and comedians performing on stage or on big screen with no sikhi saroop. I think we need to think this seriously. We have to change our own attitude first and then people will change with us.

WJKK WJKF "

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
dalbirk ji

Are you saying that your comments below would be the start of the kind of thread we are talking about? I am a little confused? Or are we talking about news paper articles? Or a combination? Let me know and we can get starated.

May 24, 2008
dalbirk ji

Are you saying that your comments below would be the start of the kind of thread we are talking about? I am a little confused? Or are we talking about news paper articles? Or a combination? Let me know and we can get starated.
Dear Aad Ji ,
I meant that what is said by the guy in his post , I fully endorse his views . I wished other members to give their views on this .
Regards ,
Dalbir Singh

May 24, 2008
Another attempt by HINDU MINDED MEDIA of India to portray Sikhs as drunkard foolish men yesterday . On STAR ONE channel , last night on daily Soap ' PARI HOON MEIN ' from 9.00 PM to 9.30 PM , 23rd JULY two drunkard Sikh men were shown acting foolishly . The antics shown by both these guys were of the lowest possible grade . Why has STAR PLUS & its associate channels r the leaders in making fun of Sikhs always showing them as drunkards & mindless . Can somebody get up & take it up with the channel authorities ? Nothing else will force them to mend their ways .
Regards ,
Dalbir Singh

Canuck Singh

SPNer
Jun 13, 2008
Can UK
Support of Sikhcoalition, and similar such organizations are needed.

Endorse Sikh student's to educate selves in political sciences and law.

When in High School I recall 1 Sardar Ji amongst the whole lot of punjabi-Sikhs, therefore support is minimal. Need for greater networking and organizations and community support. :up:

May 24, 2008
Another attempt by HINDU MINDED MEDIA of India to portray Sikhs as drunkard foolish men yesterday . On STAR ONE channel , last night on daily Soap ' PARI HOON MEIN ' from 9.00 PM to 9.30 PM , 23rd JULY two drunkard Sikh men were shown acting foolishly . The antics shown by both these guys were of the lowest possible grade . Why has STAR PLUS & its associate channels r the leaders in making fun of Sikhs always showing them as drunkards & mindless . Can somebody get up & take it up with the channel authorities ? Nothing else will force them to mend their ways .
Regards ,
Dalbir Singh

Dear Brothers & Sisters ,
I have sent the following letter to Star One authorities as a mark of protest :
Another attempt by MAINSTREAM MEDIA of India to portray Sikhs as drunkard foolish men yesterday . On STAR ONE channel , last night on daily Soap ' PARI HOON MEIN ' from 9.00 PM to 9.30 PM , 23rd JULY two drunkard Sikh men were shown acting foolishly . The antics shown by both these guys were of the lowest possible grade . Why has STAR PLUS & its associate channels r the leaders in making fun of Sikhs always showing them as drunkards & mindless . I may tell u drinking is absolutely PROHIBTED in Sikhism
Figures below provided by Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, President of the Congress Party at the time of Indepedence.)
Out of 2125 Indians killed in the atrocities by the British, 1550 (73%) were Sikhs.Out of 2646 Indians deported for life to the Andaman Islands (where the British exiled political and hardened criminals) 2147 (80%) were Sikhs.Out of 127 Indians sent to the gallows, 92 (80%) were Sikhs.At Jalliawalla Bagh out of the 1302 men, women and children slaughtered, 799 (61%) were Sikhs.In the Indian Liberation Army, out of the 20,000 ranks and officers, 12,000 (60%) were Sikhs.Out of 121 persons executed during the freedom struggle, 73 (60%) were Sikhs. The Sikhs, who had thrown themselves, heart and soul, into the Indian independence struggle, were the third party with whom the British negotiated for the transfer of power.But they opted to be a part of India being true PATRIOTS . But what we have got in return Genocide of 1984 & DIRTY SIKH ( SICK ) JOKES
Does the channel authorities have any moral obligation towards this minority called Sikhs in India ?
Regards ,
Dalbir Singh

I furthur appeal to all to post their opinions in this regard to STAR ONE on the following address :

http://app.indya.com/feedback/feedback. ... l=homepage

Let us at least show our protest to the Channel authorities

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa ,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh .

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: