• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Learn Punjabi Punjabi Dialect Problem

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
English..Call as in Phone call..Punjabi its Phone MARIAH...mariah as in BEAT/HIT/Killed.
Jhooth (lie) is always Mariah..while SAACH ( truth) is always BOLIAH (spoken)...
An Englishman arrived in Punajb to learn Punjabi....
In the Morning the Punjabi Farmers children were Naughty..so he said Vatt ke chepperr maroon...What is Vatt asked the English guy...oh Vatt means..TIGHT as in Tight Slap !!
As they wanted to go out the Farmer called to his wife..before I return rasee VATT deean...Did you say Tight Slap to your wife as well..asked the Englishman..OH NO..VATT means a TWISTED ROPE...I want my wife to finish twisting the twines into a Rope by the time I return...Both left the House..and proceeded to the Farm...Walk on thsi VATT said the Farmer..."VATT"..?? is thet Tight slap, twisted rope ? OH NO..here VATT is the FURROWS in the FIELD....you are suppsoed to walk on the Top of the Furrows Vatts..as the bottoms are muddy...just then an acquaintance passed by on a motorcycle...the man shouted..Bhaaji..how are you..and the farmer shoutred abck..kannak de kinne pasie vatt layeh...AGAIN VATT ?? whats that...OH I aksed him how much he profited from the sale of his wheat ?? Vatt is "profit" as in sales....Just then the farmer slipped in the mud..oh my back..VATT pai giyah...VATT again ?? whats it this time..OH NOW Vatt is I TWisted my back...
The very next morning the Englishman packed his bags...Punjabi is just too complicated...he said..if every word is like VATT...I better return home...

AusDesi

SPNer
Jul 18, 2009
Dharmashtere Australiashtre
I think Gyani is mixing things up a bit. Lahori, Multani and Potohari are VERY different to each other.

Here is Pakistani Punjabi. The skinny guy is speaking it. This is think is very much like Lahori
YouTube - Papi chulo, Very Nice and Very Very Funny Comedy stage drama

This is Pothwari
YouTube - bakhtawar (pothwari drama) part2

This is Multani/Siraiki
YouTube - Attaullah Nikki Jai Gal

Qandhari which the Afghan Sikhs speak is quite similar to Multani. My mum use to talk to them in Multani when they had just arrived from Afghanistan. Then they learnt Hindi and it was alright. However, only about 20-30% regularly spoke Qandahari. Most spoke Pashto.

AusDesi

SPNer
Jul 18, 2009
Dharmashtere Australiashtre
what a learning experience..My Ma Boli has so many facets..like a diamond...
That depends on who you ask ;) Personally I think Multani/Siraiki is separate language. Pothwari can be considered a dialect though. There is a movement in pakistan to recognise a Siraiki province. If that movement is successful I think Multani will forever be separate from Punjabi.

Anyways, can someone explain to me what is the difference between Majhi, Doabi and Maalwi?

Sep 21, 2010
The dialect variations in any language not only enrich the language itself but enrich our life and culture as well by bringing us closer to life and endearing us to each other. In Punjabi there is a huge variations in the way a word denotes a thing, concept, or description.

To illustrate I give here the variation in the use of just one common second person pronoun "Your": The dialect is given below followed by the word for the pronoun 'your'.

ਕੇਂਦਰੀ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ( ਤੁਹਾਡਾ), ਮਝੈਲੀ (ਧਾਡਾ), ਦੁਆਬੀ (ਥੁਆਡਾ), ਮਲਵਈ (ਥੋਡਾ), ਫਰੀਦਕੋਟ- ਬਠਿੰਡਾ (ਸੋਡਾ), ਮੁਕਤਸਰ (ਆਵਦਾ), ਲਹੌਰੀ (ਤੁਸਾਂ ਨਾ), ਸਰਾਇਕੀ (ਤੁਘੀ ?), ਪੋਠੋਹਾਰੀ (ਤੈਂਡਾ)

Central Panjabi (Tuhaada), Majhaili (Dhaada), Duabi (Thuaada), Malwai (Thoda), Faridkot - Bathinda area (Soda), Mukatsar area(Aavda), Lahori(Tusaan na), Saraiki (Tugghi), Pothohari ( Tainda)

This is just an example of geographical variation in the use of just one Punjabi word. We as Punjabi speakers must love to learn these dialect variations rather than snigger at in order to bring speakers from distant places closer to one another and enrich our understanding of each others cultural background.

Incidentally, the use of word 'see' and 'tee' for the English past tense auxilliary verb 'was' is not funny. The word 'tee' is used in the Puadhi dialect of Punjabi.

Puaadh is the area around Patiala, Ropar, Chandigarh and Ambala.

Humbly
Serjinder Singh

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
The other day i phoned a friend in Sultanpur and he was not picking up his handphone. Finally when he did, he told me..Bhaa ji, phone dighee wich see...and I went like..dighee wich ? why for heavens sake couldnt you answer it then..it would be on the shelf or the sink didnt you ehar it ringing. DIGHEE in malaysian Punjabi is bathroom..in Punjab its the word for the Scooter "boot" or car "boot". So what he emant was he left his phone locked in his scooter's boot/box and since it was parked far away..he heard nothing..i took it to eman that he ahd it with him in his BATH !! ha ha
lol:interestedmunda:welcomemunda

Sep 21, 2010
Word 'Digghi' in current usage in Indian Punjab means what in the west 'car boot' or 'scooter boot' is understood to be. In the past, word 'Digghi' meant a well dug in desert or arid area where ground water did not exist or was very deep and salty. The well had usual brick walls and a brick, mortar or cement bottom. Since ground water did not exist at upto a depth of the bottom of the brick well, this was filled with either diverting rain water from the surrounding area if it rained or in later times channelling water from a canal.

This has been the usual practice in the Bathinda, Mukatsar area till recently. The canal water was and is still used through the water works with piped canal water to homes. However, the old or new 'Digghies' were filled with canal water to use this water to provide for animals to drink or bathe. Humans also jumped into these diggies to bathe or cool themselves.

This may be the background to the word 'Digghy' being used for bathroom in Malaysia since the digghies in Bathinda area and in southern Panjab were also
used for bathing in the absence of fresh water from tubewells or wells since the ground water in these areas is very salty and at a great depth.

Humbly
Serjinder Singh

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Thank You Sejinder singh ji. I am from Bhatinda....Tallewal on the Moga-Barnala Road..
Yes thats the probable root of the word Dhighee.....into Malaysian Punjabi becasue Malwaiyees are the most numerous over here. While the Majha Punjabi was always the Academic Language used in books and exams..the malwayee is more widely spoken and today in Punjab context way more literature is written in malwayee dialect due to malwayee novelists Jaswant Singh Kanwal and population of Malwa is more in number while Majha has been truncated into a smaller area of amrtisar/gurdaspur only.:mundabhangra:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM