• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Zafarnama Zafarnama - The Dilemma Of The Dasam Granth

khalsa1469

SPNer
Dec 14, 2009
My question is Zafarnama? Is that genuine or not?

Vir Randip Singh,

The important question is not whether Zafarnama is or is not genuine. Let's make an effort to go deeper - Even if Guru Gobind Singh wrote Zafarnama, would we be correct in calling it Gurbani? If not, then what relevance does it have?

My answer to that is that it is a letter written (presumably) by Guru Gobind Singh to Aurangzeb. It is definitely not Gurbani. It may have historical value, if it is indeed authentic. However, for most matters concerning my life, I derive value, instruction and inspiration from Gurbani. I know that historical interpretations are replete with pitfalls, so I depend upon Gurbani as my test of authenticity and attempt to make the relevant distinctions.

How do I know Zafarnama is not Gurbani? For that, kindly refer to my piece. I have explored what makes something Gurbani and who has the authority to make that determination.

If Zafarnama is authentic, then the letter was written and sent to Aurangzeb. Also, Guru Gobind Singh ji did not give this or any of his other writings the status of Gurbani and nor has the Guru Khalsa Panth. In the absence of the aforementioned the Zafarnama (if authentic) is a letter, one amongst many, written by Guru Sahiban over their 239 year history.

Sometimes, it seems, we get into debates that miss the Tat (core, essence).

Akal Sahai!

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
khalsa1469 ji

How I value that short statement. Sometimes we miss the Tat. So share your understanding here more often in the days to come, and at least this one will have the benefit.

This "piece" that you refer to in your post is the blog, Vismad. Here is the link
, to the essay "Dasam" Granth: A Look at the Core Problems, vismad: “Dasam” Granth - A Look At The Core Problems

And for readers who would like more, here is the link to the Vismad homepage, vismad

I look forward to many hours of inspiring reading.

Last edited by a moderator:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM