• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh Coalition Women's Empowerment

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Women's Empowerment
women1.jpg
Of woman are we born, of woman conceived,
To woman engaged, to woman married.
Woman we befriend, by woman do civilizations continue.
When a woman dies, a woman is sought for.
It is through woman that order is maintained.
Then why call her inferior from whom
all great ones are born?
Woman is born of woman;
None is born but of woman.

First Guru of the Sikhs, Guru Nanak Dev Ji
Translated by Nikky Guninder Kaur Singh
The Sikh Coalition has made a commitment to safeguard the rights of women in accordance with the fundamental principle of gender equality found in Sikh theology.

The Coalition encourages the active participation of Sikh women in all aspects of society and advocates upholding gender equality within the Sikh community. However, the Coalition recognizes that Sikhs often fall short of practicing the Guru’s directive of equality, mutual respect, individuality and freedom.

Overview

Family Violence

One Punjabi Sikh woman shares her story of abuse:
“My husband, his family and I lived in a small town in USA. After marriage, for about two years I was physically assaulted and abused by my husband on many occasions, so much so that I took an overdose of sleeping pills on account of which I was hospitalized. My husband and his family also humiliated me during this time. I was totally dependent on my husband for all legal as well as financial support. I looked upon my husband for all advice and help, I didn’t know any people around. I didn’t move out of the house without my husband, I didn’t drive. I also didn’t know where to turn for legal advice. I trusted him blindly for everything…and was left helpless in face of the emotional and physical abuse” --Simran, USA.
Hundreds of South Asian women--Sikh, Hindu, Muslim, Christian-- approach domestic violence agencies and shelters every year. Husbands and/or in-laws have abused these women physically, emotionally, economically. Children are also severely affected by such violence and it can affect them deeply. Often, elderly parents may be the helpless victims of family abuse.

The Coalition recognizes:

• Family Violence is a serious and widespread problem in our community, just as in every other community.
  • Family Violence must not be condoned in any circumstance.
  • Family Violence is a crime and not just a ‘household problem’.
  • Family Violence cuts across boundaries of culture, class, education, income, ethnicity, religious faiths and age.
  • Those affected by Family Violence show a lot of strength in taking a stance against such violence.
  • There is no excuse for Family Violence, it is wrong in all circumstances.
  • Men and Women can combat this societal ill by supporting the victims and by helping victims find help.
  • Due to cultural barriers, Family Violence is one of the most under- reported crimes and cultural taboos preventing conversation about such issues need to be lifted.
The Coalition supports the work of the below South Asian groups, and provides referrals to people in need, and participates in educational initiatives.

South Asian Agencies that provide support for victims of Family Violence :

[top]
Female Feticide

Female Feticide is the selective abortion of females. Rural as well as urban families practice female Feticide. It is perpetrated by the well-educated as well as the un-educated.

Feticide has been linkd to the practice of dowry. Dowry lowers the ‘value’ of the girl child and is in violation of the Sikh faith.
O my Lord, give me thy name as my wedding gift and dowry.
Guru Granth Sahib, Guru Ram Das, Page 78
Any other dowry, which the self-willed manmukhs offer for show, is only false egotism and a worthless display. O my father, please give me the Name of the Lord God as my wedding gift and dowry. || 4 | Guru Granth Sahib Guru Ram Das, Page 79
People who continue to practice dowry and believe in the lower ‘value’ of the girl child, are in clear violation of the Sikh faith. Those who believe the girl-child to be burdensome, partake in the heinous practice of feticide which is against all principles of Sikhi.

The Coalition recognizes

• Feticide is antithical to the Sikh faith
  • Should be clearly condemned by families and individuals
[top] The Women's Program Reading List
Singh, Bhai Vir
Sundri
Published on the web in English
Bhasin, Kamla and Ritu Menon.
Borders and Boundaries
New Brunswick: Rutgers University Press 1998
Gill, Dr. M.K.
The Role and Status of Women in Sikhism.
Delhi: National Book Shop, 1995.
Kaur, Surjit.
"The Place of Women in Sikhism: Unequal Partners?"
The Sikh Review, April, 1996.
Mahmood, Cynthia, and Stacey Brady.
Guru's Gift: An Ethnography Exploring Gender Equality with North American Sikh Women.
California: Mayfield Publishing Company 2000.
Sidhu, G.S.
The Sikh Woman.
Kent, UK: The Sikh Missionary Society, 1977.
Singh, I.J.
Sikhs and Sikhism: A View with a Bias.
Guelph, Ont.: Centennial Foundation, 1998.
Singh, Jatinder.
Islam and Sikhism: a Comparative View on Women
Singh, Nikky-Guninder Kaur.
The Feminine Principle in the Sikh Vision of the Transcendent.
London: Cambridge University, 1993.
Singh, Nikky-Guninder Kaur.
The Name of My Beloved.
San Francisco: Harper, 1995.
The following titles are available in Punjabi:
Bhai Vir Singh.
Sundari and Satwant Kaur
Baldev Singh.
Adarshak Singhnia (Daughters of the Khalsa)
Simran Kaur
Prasidh Sikh Bibia (Famous Sikh Women)
[top] Links
General
www.sikhwomen.com
Organizations
Sikh Sisterhood
Amnesty International USA, Women's Human Rights Program
Yuba-Sutter National Sikh Women's Group
Council of Sikh Women (NY)
Take Action
Amnesty International USA, Women's Human Rights Program

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
The Coalition recognizes:

• Family Violence is a serious and widespread problem in our community, just as in every other community.

Here is a pdf Content which addresses the Domestic Violence Issues in a systematic way.

Domestic Violence in Europe and Eurasia
TABLE OF CONTENTS
EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

..............................................................................................................
v
A.
Purpose and Methodology
......................................................................................................
v
B.
Criteria Used to Select Prevalence Data for Inclusion in the Report
v
C.
Limitations of the Research
....................................................................................................
vi
D.
Findings
................................................................................................................................
vii
Balkans
...............................................................................................................................
vii
Black Sea Region
................................................................................................................
vii
Caucasus
............................................................................................................................
viii
Central Asia
.........................................................................................................................
viii
Russia and West NIS
..........................................................................................................
viii
E.
Recommendations
.................................................................................................................
ix
PREVALENCE OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE IN THE REGION
A.
Factors Reducing Comparability of Prevalence Studies
B.
Estimates of Prevalence of Domestic Violence in the Region
C.
Indirect Indicators of the Prevalence of Domestic Violence
D.
Factors Associated with or Contributing to Domestic Violence

http://www.usaid.gov/locations/europe_eurasia/dem_gov/docs/domestic_violence_study_final.pdf

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I think that these are two articles that will work well on the kaurpower.com blog as content. Just hope that I don't forget to refer it back to Mentors once we get started populating it. These threads are easy to loose track of so remind me to remember. Thanks

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: