• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

1984 Anti-Sikh Pogrom Witness Claims She Cremated Kin Using Woods From Chairs, Doors

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
A woman witness, who lost five of her family members during the 1984 anti Sikh riots, on Friday claimed before a court conducting trial against Congress leader Sajjan Kumar that she had cremated her husband and son using the chairs and doors of her house as the wood the pyre. "With the help of neighbours, I cremated my husband and son by taking out wood from chairs and doors of the house," Jagdish Kaur told Additional Sessions Judge Sunita Gupta. The 69 year old witness was being cross examined for the eighth day in a row during the on going trial against Kumar and others.

"I did not state in my statements or affidavits that when the pyre was prepared, I came there and told those persons that I was ready to go into the same pyre myself," she said, during her cross examination by A K Sharma counsel for the accused.

The witness was found to be making "improvement" from her previous version recorded before Justice G T Nanavati Commission which inquired into the sequence of events leading to the riots in 1984 following the assassination of then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi on October 31.

During her cross examination, Kaur denied she had been tutored by CBI or any other advocate, including senior counsel H S Phoolka who has been representing the victims. Kaur's cross examination remained inconclusive and would resume on Saturday.

Kaur had on July 3 identified Kumar and his nephew Khokkar, and other accused Girdhari Lal and Captain Bhagmal as accomplices who had allegedly instigated mobs during the 1984 carnage.

Kaur's family members, including her husband Kehar Singh, were killed in the riots.

CBI had filed two chargesheets against Kumar and others on January 13 in the riots cases registered in 2005 on the recommendation of Nanavati Commission.A woman witness, who lost five of her family members during the 1984 anti Sikh riots, on Friday claimed before a court conducting trial against Congress leader Sajjan Kumar that she had cremated her husband and son using the chairs and doors of her house as the wood the pyre.

"With the help of neighbours, I cremated my husband and son by taking out wood from chairs and doors of the house," Jagdish Kaur told Additional Sessions Judge Sunita Gupta.

The 69 year old witness was being cross examined for the eighth day in a row during the on going trial against Kumar and others.

"I did not state in my statements or affidavits that when the pyre was prepared, I came there and told those persons that I was ready to go into the same pyre myself," she said, during her cross examination by A K Sharma counsel for the accused.

The witness was found to be making "improvement" from her previous version recorded before Justice G T Nanavati Commission which inquired into the sequence of events leading to the riots in 1984 following the assassination of then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi on October 31.

During her cross examination, Kaur denied she had been tutored by CBI or any other advocate, including senior counsel H S Phoolka who has been representing the victims. Kaur's cross examination remained inconclusive and would resume on Saturday.

Kaur had on July 3 identified Kumar and his nephew Khokkar, and other accused Girdhari Lal and Captain Bhagmal as accomplices who had allegedly instigated mobs during the 1984 carnage.

Kaur's family members, including her husband Kehar Singh, were killed in the riots.

CBI had filed two chargesheets against Kumar and others on January 13 in the riots cases registered in 2005 on the recommendation of Nanavati Commissi

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Witne...-woods-from-chairs-doors/Article1-576761.aspx

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: