• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Why Sikhi?

SikHannah

SPNer
Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
I wrote this last night and thought I'd share it. It kind of goes along the lines of the other post "13 reasons 'why i am a sikh'"

~1~ I am a woman yet would be treated equally in our temple of worship

~2~ I have peace of mind now, and remember the True Guru with every breath

~3~ Along with love of God I have a newfound pride and confidence in myself

~4~ This religion is simple yet very complex at once

~5~ Sikhism is a truly peaceful religion and would never have its followers force others to convert. It has over 23 million followers, and those who are converts found Sikhi on their own

~6~ Sikhism respects everyone and will never put down any one faith

~7~ You don't need anything to pray, just sit and meditate.

~8~ Sikhism is traditional yet also modern

~9~ It encourages Sikhs to lead an honest life and do honest, noble work.

~10~ It gives me an excuse to obsess over my hair, and wear cool accessories with deep religious meaning. (this one was for fun, sorry, I had to put it for the girls!)

I am an eternal learner (Sikh) and there is nothing wrong with that!

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
SikHannah,

Guru Fateh

Well said.

Your post shows us that Sikhi is an internal manisfestation not an external imposition. How could it not be? Love can not be forced into. Love is germinated by goodness, from within. That's why Sikhi is pragmatic, not dogmatic.

Thanks for reminding me why I am a Sikh.

Tejwant

SikHannah

SPNer
Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
SikHannah,

Guru Fateh

Well said.

Your post shows us that Sikhi is an internal manisfestation not an external imposition. How could it not be? Love can not be forced into. Love is germinated by goodness, from within. That's why Sikhi is pragmatic, not dogmatic.

Thanks for reminding me why I am a Sikh.

Tejwant

You're welcome! :)
Thanks for commenting Vaheguru Seekerji and Arvindji

skeptik

SPNer
Sep 6, 2006
~1~ I am a woman yet would be treated equally in our temple of worship
It doesn't happen though. I see women slaving away behind the hot gas, juggling heavy patile and charcoal black tave, while the men are around the front talking having a chat or whatever. Now there is nothing wrong with this picture, but i'm just saying -- men and women have different roles and that's the way it is.

~2~ I have peace of mind now, and remember the True Guru with every breath
The kind of peace of mind that comes from faith is one you can maintain only as long as you dont have much of a real life. When you have relationships, responsibilities, children, bills, taxes and problems like that -- then forget about peace, you'll be happy just to have a moment of quiet.

~3~ Along with love of God I have a newfound pride and confidence in myself
Falling in love always feels good. Falling out of love, not so much.

~4~ This religion is simple yet very complex at once
Like many things, It's as simple and as complicated as you want it to be.

~5~ Sikhism is a truly peaceful religion and would never have its followers force others to convert. It has over 23 million followers, and those who are converts found Sikhi on their own
We carry a lot of baggage though. We have deep wounds and these affect all facets of our religion. We have prejudices that are deeply cultural. How can an outsider understand our pains and joys?

~6~ Sikhism respects everyone and will never put down any one faith
To the contrary, we put down almost all religions in some way or other. We secretly believe our religion is the best and we try not to say so in words but we do think we have a good thing going. This doesn't stop us from getting along well with most people though!

~7~ You don't need anything to pray, just sit and meditate.
Wonder what it must feel like to think that way.

~8~ Sikhism is traditional yet also modern
There is nothing modern about our religion. We are strongly conservative. We believe in good family and honour, and these are not priorities shared by modern day liberals.

~9~ It encourages Sikhs to lead an honest life and do honest, noble work.
Yes absolutely.

~10~ It gives me an excuse to obsess over my hair, and wear cool accessories with deep religious meaning. (this one was for fun, sorry, I had to put it for the girls!)
Good for you

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Dear SikkHannah ji.
Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh.

You have got all the right reasons....and given me a few pointers as well. Thanks. Stay in chardeekalla and keep on learning...

Gyani jarnail Singh

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Thanks Hanna for very good Read , Looks like very Original !

Thanks Skeptic for your post also , It Also looks very original I really liked that

But here with caution I assume that you rae Intelligent and Brave enough to say how you feel about something ( Sikhism here ) but at the same time can clearly see that what you are saying is your version of reality and neither the facts nor the everybody Truth .

and this has been basic way the life goes . YOu have to stick with your version of reality to live in this world but at the same time have to open let the new realities take shape as life goes on . The more you hold on more it becomes Painful and Boring

Both of the posts were really very Good!

Thanks

JAtinder Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM