• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Why Haryana Wants Its Own SGPC

Vikram singh

SPNer
Feb 24, 2005
The demand for a separate Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC) for Haryana again threatens to touch off tensions in the state. The issue, long kept on slow simmer, has reared its head in the run-up to assembly elections scheduled for next month.
What is the role of the SGPC and why are members from Haryana demanding a separate SGPC?
The SGPC, established under the Sikh Gurdwara Act 1925, was created to control all the historical gurdwaras as well as some other designated gurdwaras under Section 87 of the Act. Besides looking after the management of gurdwaras, including appointment of granthis, it manages educational institutions like medical colleges, hospitals and charitable trusts.
It is a cash-rich organisation with an annual budget of about Rs 400 crore. Its golak (donation) collection alone is around Rs 130 crore every year.
Members from Haryana complain that they don’t have any say in the management of gurdwaras in the state. They assert that the golak money is not spent in Haryana. They allege that the SGPC does not even appoint granthis (priests) from Haryana and does not consider demands for the welfare of the community in the state.
So, why don’t they raise the issue in the SGPC?
The members from Haryana are hugely outnumbered in the managing committee. There are only 11 members from Haryana out of a total strength of 180. In fact, Amritsar district alone has 25 members while Ludhiana district accounts for another 19.
Why has the issue escalated now?
Though there has been a demand for a separate SGPC over several years, it came into sharp focus during the previous Assembly elections in Haryana when the Congress included an assurance in its manifesto that it would create a separate SGPC. After it came to power, the Congress apppointed the Chatha Commission, to give its recommendation on the issue. The panel recently submitted its report to the state government stating that a majority of Sikhs in the state were in favour of a separate SGPC.
Evidently in order to buy time, Haryana chief minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda declared just before the announcement of Assembly elections that a separate body would be constituted in the state on November 1 (Statehood Day), after the elections, if it received a favourable legal opinion on the recommendations.
Why were Haryana SGPC members not satisfied with the announcement?
Some of them felt that the announcement was only meant to woo Sikh votes...

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Basically the Haryana Gurdwaras are "colonies" of the SGPC Empire...and sooner or later colonies rebel..and want INDEPENDENCE. Thats the bottom line of whats happening here.
It happened with the Roman Empire..British empire..and all other empires...and will happen- sooner rather than later. Haryana Goluck should be spent in Haryana..just as Pakistani Gurdawra Goluck is spent in Pakistan..
I always supported a STRONG ALL INDIA CENTRALISED SGPC...but NOW that the SGPC is all ROTTEN to its ROOTS...its better to DECENTRALISE..REPAIR the Damage done to Sikh Institutions..and then maybe come back to MERGER. Right now the SGPC is the PROBLEM..

Vikram singh

SPNer
Feb 24, 2005
I agree with you 50%,other 50 % story is like that, Haryana is going for polls,whenever they go for election,the congress govt want to divide sikhs, there are 12 millions sikhs in Haryana, but they have given Tamil and Telgu second language status,but not to Punjabi, Jagdish Singh Jhinda (Congress Agent) perpetrators of the incident in the Kurukshetra Gurdwara,where he disrupted the daily spiritual ambiance of the Gurdwara,want separate, SGPC - Shiromani Golak Pocketing Committee [/FONT]just to have money

Vikram singh

SPNer
Feb 24, 2005
"I always supported a STRONG ALL INDIA CENTRALISED SGPC...but NOW that the SGPC is all ROTTEN to its ROOTS...its better to DECENTRALISE..REPAIR the Damage done to Sikh Institutions..and then maybe come back to MERGER. Right now the SGPC is the PROBLEM.."

I agree with that

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Vikram Singh Jio,
Gurfateh.

Good assessment on the ground.

Sikhs are "divided"...whatever happens..BJP and Mrs.Bjp (badal)..or Congress huda or Chautala or whatever..NO ONE IS GOING to give the SIKHS a KHOTA PAISA...that is my assessment. See how the BJP cheated on his wife by secretly denying any seats to badal dal..Chautala broke this secret..he failed to have an alliance with bjp/badal because in haryana BJP wanted aaallll the seats..while in Punajb they demand as many as they can get...see how the BJP TORPEDOED the ElectriciyTraiff subsidies in Punaj b y demanding equal for town hindus that given to farmers (sikhs) Badal has failed to protect the farmers...yet again... loks to me Badal is in an unhappy marriage...cannot divorce due to held hostage by BJP.

AusDesi

SPNer
Jul 18, 2009
Dharmashtere Australiashtre
I always supported a STRONG ALL INDIA CENTRALISED SGPC...but NOW that the SGPC is all ROTTEN to its ROOTS...its better to DECENTRALISE..REPAIR the Damage done to Sikh Institutions..and then maybe come back to MERGER. Right now the SGPC is the PROBLEM..

I think this problem was always going to happen as the SGPC was started in 1925 while states were divided in 1966. In addition, Instead of being fair and democratic, the current Punjab region was given an upper hand.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: