• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Atheism Why Did God Create His Creation?

Sevadar

SPNer
May 24, 2010
Little religious introduction of mine I m pseudo Sikh, Kinda trying to get into Gursikh life way. I am not a religious scholar either. What I am trying to find is that If god created all the creation (brahmand) what was the purpose? Did he need some body to appreciate him? Please help.:seriousmunda:

Thanks

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Sevadar ji

Here is a thread in the Gurmat Vichaar section that I started a while back. it has almost the same title that you chose. There are banee from Guruji in this thread and lively discussion of its meaning. Interesting .....you and I chose almost the exact title.

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/gurmat-vichaar/19817-why-did-he-create-his-creation.html

The first rule for anyone seeking the gurmat path is to read Sri Guru Granth Sahib Majahraj with serious investment. The second rule is to discuss it with others who share your same desire. You can do that here at SPN.

Good luck, and good reading.

P/S do not call yourself a pseudo Sikh. Disparaging yourself is not the same as genuine humility.
:carefreekaur:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Not the answer to your question, but something to think about throughout your journey: Ang 725, Guru Nanak Dev ji said,

ਆਪੇ ਜਾਣੈ ਕਰੇ ਆਪਿ ਜਿਨਿ ਵਾੜੀ ਹੈ ਲਾਈ ॥੧॥
aapae jaanai karae aap jin vaarree hai laaee ||1||
He Himself knows, and He Himself acts; He laid out the garden of the world. ||1||

ਰਾਇਸਾ ਪਿਆਰੇ ਕਾ ਰਾਇਸਾ ਜਿਤੁ ਸਦਾ ਸੁਖੁ ਹੋਈ ॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
raaeisaa piaarae kaa raaeisaa jith sadhaa sukh hoee || rehaao ||
Savor the story, the story of the Beloved Lord, which brings a lasting peace. ||Pause||

ਜਿਨਿ ਰੰਗਿ ਕੰਤੁ ਨ ਰਾਵਿਆ ਸਾ ਪਛੋ ਰੇ ਤਾਣੀ ॥
jin rang kanth n raaviaa saa pashho rae thaanee ||
She who does not enjoy the Love of her Husband Lord, shall come to regret and repent in the end.

ਹਾਥ ਪਛੋੜੈ ਸਿਰੁ ਧੁਣੈ ਜਬ ਰੈਣਿ ਵਿਹਾਣੀ ॥੨॥
haathh pashhorrai sir dhhunai jab rain vihaanee ||2||
She wrings her hands, and bangs her head, when the night of her life has passed away. ||2||

ਪਛੋਤਾਵਾ ਨਾ ਮਿਲੈ ਜਬ ਚੂਕੈਗੀ ਸਾਰੀ ॥
pashhothaavaa naa milai jab chookaigee saaree ||
Nothing comes from repentance, when the game is already finished.

ਤਾ ਫਿਰਿ ਪਿਆਰਾ ਰਾਵੀਐ ਜਬ ਆਵੈਗੀ ਵਾਰੀ ॥੩॥
thaa fir piaaraa raaveeai jab aavaigee vaaree ||3||
She shall have the opportunity to enjoy her Beloved, only when her turn comes again. ||3||

ਕੰਤੁ ਲੀਆ ਸੋਹਾਗਣੀ ਮੈ ਤੇ ਵਧਵੀ ਏਹ ॥
kanth leeaa sohaaganee mai thae vadhhavee eaeh ||
The happy soul-bride attains her Husband Lord - she is so much better than I am.

ਸੇ ਗੁਣ ਮੁਝੈ ਨ ਆਵਨੀ ਕੈ ਜੀ ਦੋਸੁ ਧਰੇਹ ॥੪॥
sae gun mujhai n aavanee kai jee dhos dhharaeh ||4||
I have none of her merits or virtues; whom should I blame? ||4||

ਜਿਨੀ ਸਖੀ ਸਹੁ ਰਾਵਿਆ ਤਿਨ ਪੂਛਉਗੀ ਜਾਏ ॥
jinee sakhee sahu raaviaa thin pooshhougee jaaeae ||
I shall go and ask those sisters who have enjoyed their Husband Lord.

ਪਾਇ ਲਗਉ ਬੇਨਤੀ ਕਰਉ ਲੇਉਗੀ ਪੰਥੁ ਬਤਾਏ ॥੫॥
paae lago baenathee karo laeougee panthh bathaaeae ||5||
I touch their feet, and ask them to show me the Path. ||5||

ਹੁਕਮੁ ਪਛਾਣੈ ਨਾਨਕਾ ਭਉ ਚੰਦਨੁ ਲਾਵੈ ॥
hukam pashhaanai naanakaa bho chandhan laavai ||
She who understands the Hukam of His Command, O Nanak, applies the Fear of God as her sandalwood oil;

ਗੁਣ ਕਾਮਣ ਕਾਮਣਿ ਕਰੈ ਤਉ ਪਿਆਰੇ ਕਉ ਪਾਵੈ ॥੬॥
gun kaaman kaaman karai tho piaarae ko paavai ||6||
she charms her Beloved with her virtue, and so obtains Him. ||6||

ਜੋ ਦਿਲਿ ਮਿਲਿਆ ਸੁ ਮਿਲਿ ਰਹਿਆ ਮਿਲਿਆ ਕਹੀਐ ਰੇ ਸੋਈ ॥
jo dhil miliaa s mil rehiaa miliaa keheeai rae soee ||
She who meets her Beloved in her heart, remains united with Him; this is truly called union.

ਜੇ ਬਹੁਤੇਰਾ ਲੋਚੀਐ ਬਾਤੀ ਮੇਲੁ ਨ ਹੋਈ ॥੭॥
jae bahuthaeraa locheeai baathee mael n hoee ||7||
As much as she may long for Him, she shall not meet Him through mere words. ||7||

ਧਾਤੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਫੁਨਿ ਧਾਤੁ ਕਉ ਲਿਵ ਲਿਵੈ ਕਉ ਧਾਵੈ ॥
dhhaath milai fun dhhaath ko liv livai ko dhhaavai ||
As metal melts into metal again, so does love melt into love.

ਗੁਰ ਪਰਸਾਦੀ ਜਾਣੀਐ ਤਉ ਅਨਭਉ ਪਾਵੈ ॥੮॥
gur parasaadhee jaaneeai tho anabho paavai ||8||
By Guru's Grace, this understanding is obtained, and then, one obtains the Fearless Lord. ||8||

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Perhaps calling oneself a pseudoSikh is akin to my personal dodge. I am amritdhari, but I carefully do not call myself a Khalsa. I am, at best, an aspiring Khalsa. I got the name at Amrit, but the reality is illusive. I am not pure. :blushhh:

And, please, I am not a Gursikh. Maybe eventually. Certainly eventually. But not quite yet. :carefreekaur:

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Little religious introduction of mine I m pseudo Sikh, Kinda trying to get into Gursikh life way. I am not a religious scholar either. What I am trying to find is that If god created all the creation (brahmand) what was the purpose? Did he need some body to appreciate him? Please help.:seriousmunda:

Thanks

Here's just a personal thought because my imagination has also run wild at times. Reality exists because the only reality is God. In Reality, i.e. in God, we all exist and assume an individual identity just like each cell is different from one another in the human body.

We as the amoeba are trying to figure out God in entirety. Some of us have figured God out, but most of us are still trying to. It's like to figure out the whole human body in which we occupy a tiny mini space as a single cell.

Your question of HE needing somebody to appreciate him, those who have figured Him out, say that He Himself is appreciating Himself, we as cells in the body of God have all the essence contained within us to self realize this reality.

Aug 6, 2006
SSA.
Gurbani states that nobody other than the creater knows that, why or how god has created the creation:-

ਕਬੀਰ ਸਾਰੀ ਸਿਰਜਨਹਾਰ ਕੀ ਜਾਨੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਕੋਇ ॥
Kabeer, no one knows the Play of the Creator Lord. Good Sites:

ਜਿਨਿ ਜਗੁ ਸਿਰਜਿ ਸਮਾਇਆ ਸੋ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਕੁਦਰਤਿ ਜਾਣੋਵਾ ॥
The One who creates and dissolves the world - that Lord and Master alone knows His creative power.

ਕੁਦਰਤਿ ਤਖਤੁ ਰਚਾਇਆ ਸਚਿ ਨਿਬੇੜਣਹਾਰੋ ੨॥
You have made the Creation as Your Throne; You are the True Judge.

But why god has created the creation ? only the creater knows.

Roopsidhu

Mar 5, 2010
New York City
This is one of the question every single person thinks of once. Why did God create his creation? We all wonder and try to figure out the reason behind it. I have discovered that you can go as deeper you want in order to find the answer but you will not find an answer to his question. Its better for us to live our life the way God wants us to so, we can be united with him. But many of us spend our lives looking for answer to a question that has no answer.
I don't believe in questioning the creator but rather thanking him for giving me this life so I can be one with him. This life is an opportunity to be one with God and this opportunity should be used. I do not have a answer to your question because my responsibility is to dedicate my life to him and be one with him rather than questioning his actions.

Sevadar

SPNer
May 24, 2010
Sat shri Akal,
Thanks to everyone who have taken interest in this post. But I think I created this post in little bit of hurry with out doing much search on SPN. I think their are other posts already running that leads to all the queries that occur in my mind. If I would have any further question I will pursue them through other pertaining posts that are already existing.
I am fairly new to SPN and would congratulate whole team on their wonderful effort in running this network.

Thanks

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
This is one of the question every single person thinks of once. Why did God create his creation? We all wonder and try to figure out the reason behind it. I have discovered that you can go as deeper you want in order to find the answer but you will not find an answer to his question. Its better for us to live our life the way God wants us to so, we can be united with him. But many of us spend our lives looking for answer to a question that has no answer.
I don't believe in questioning the creator but rather thanking him for giving me this life so I can be one with him. This life is an opportunity to be one with God and this opportunity should be used. I do not have a answer to your question because my responsibility is to dedicate my life to him and be one with him rather than questioning his actions.

The truth might be, I suspect, the non-existence of duality but our willingness to accept these concepts and live them until they actually affect us. One must bear in mind that this thread is under the heading of Atheism so the views I present here might not entirely be as per Gurbani Vichaar. Forgive me for my misconceptions, God.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM