• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Who Is Sikh?

jasi

SPNer
Apr 28, 2005
canada
Who is Sikh?

When we have one Sikh Philosophy and faith created by our 1st Guru Nanak Dev Ji which clearly stating that we all come from one light and there is one creator..

If any one practices Sikh faith and surrender to Guru Granth Sahib ji as a GURU for guidance OF AKAL PURKGH's realizations is a SIKH regardless of origin or color and cast.

Separations among families and groups believing in one faith, one Guru ,One Creator is happened when one or other groups like to start their own identity as a Guru yet preaching the same philosophy.

EGO IN THESE CASES IS DRIVING FORCE. BEMUKH GURUS OR LEADERS FOR THEIR OWN POWER..

Same repetitions as was done by many Hindu gods by not connecting the masses to the creator of all these gods.

Guru Nanak Dev Ji to directed us all to the creator for HIS appreciations.

THE ONLY MESSENGER OF GOD IN THE WORLD WHO NEVER MADE US UNAWARE OF AKAL PURKH AND HIS CREATIONS.

GURU NANAK DEV JI CAME AND ALL FALSENESS DISAPPEARED

Let us be one and be bhai sahibs builT strong family on oneness..

Your comments are appreciated.

Jaspi

ballym

SPNer
May 19, 2006
I am sikh. But some people equate khalsa as sikh. Efforts are on to reduce sikh population by promoting some motivated khalsa to make statements for their own narrow purposes.
There are so many factions in sikhs who have different style. Let us have one more added to this. SEHAJDHARI SIKH. We will have separate gurdwara. Anybody is welcome.
It is possible , we may be able to get many hindus to our fold!
Khalsas may take it as a strategy to get more people and at the same time retain their quality. I wanted to start a separate thread on Quality vs. Quantity debate. Anyway, just to start, it is not factory production. Sikh is born. There is no process to decalre a poor quality person as non-sikh.In my view, making two sections... khalsa and sehajdhari would go a long way in promoting our religion while maintaining its quality.At present it is undeclared division. we are moving in the direction of making it formal division. No problem.
This will also provide an option for either side to switch. It is going to be a personal decision.
We will have langar hall, kirtan, paath, Ardass. Will these people who attacked Sikh Lehar Gurudwara and a gentle person like Manjit Mangat( Thanks to T. Sher Singh for info)come to such a gurudwara and attack?
Let them do it. They will fail in the end. It is far better to formalise division rather than ego coming into picture and a significant mass separating totally from sikh religion.
On a side note, I request T. Sher Singh to inform his people what caused unthinkable return of Order of Canada. he has this duty to his religion which he represented for a long period. I am sure he has valid reasons.

jasi

SPNer
Apr 28, 2005
canada
SSAKAL JI.

Divisions are going on between Sehjadhari and SGPC or others. question still remains without any answer to the question .Who is Sikh ?.

Here what I stressed on this point if any person who follows the Guru Nanak Dev ji'Gurbani and teachings accept Guru Granth sahib ji his GURU ,is that person supposed to be called Guru Ka Sikh? (FOLLOWER OR DECIPILE)

YES OR NO?

If yes is he entitled to participate in Sikh Guru Dwara elections and other rolls like any other Sikh. ?

Jaspi

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Jaspi ji

I think the question Who is A Sikh? needs to be understood as having at least two aspects to it. The general question versus the issues that are related to India alone, because of the Indian constitution.

Otherwise we go around in circles.

ballym

SPNer
May 19, 2006
A person can be a sikh without voting right. I have no trouble with such arrangement. It is a matter of choice. Yes, the option should be there to move from one category to another. caste system of hindus had that flaw.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Ballym ji

I am not by any means talking about 2 categories, or levels, of Sikhs. Just pointing out that there are at least 2 methods for definition, one being legalistic and pertinent in India because of the Indian Constitution.

jasi

SPNer
Apr 28, 2005
canada
Thanks and SSAKAL JI.

My question remains the same as Christian have a faith in Christ are called Christians.

Followers of Buddha are called Buddhists.

Followers of Muhammad are know as Muslims.

What would you call who are followers of Guru Nanak'faith and Guru Graunth Sahib Ji ?

SIKH or NON -SIKH ?

According to the above statement if the facts are right then we open all new understandings recognized SIKH which have been isolated from mainstream of Sikhism.

We must grant them all the rights like any other Amridhari or Sehjdjari Sikhs to participate in all the elections to elect the members of Guru Dwaras committees.

GOLDEN TEMPLE is the center point for all Sikh to visit to pray to realizes the eternal Akal Purkh..

Jaspi

I posted this on another thread before:

For me A Sikh is someone;
Who first calls himself a sikh.
Then decides not call himself a sikh.
But then decides to call himself a sikh again after he fails to identify himself as a non-sikh.

I have another question that i am not sure of the answer to:

Is someone who is not Gurmukh automatically a Manmukh?
are sehajdaari's considered manmukhs?

by "sehaj" daari i refer to only those who also think they are 'spiritually positioned'

ballym

SPNer
May 19, 2006
My views are in Italics.
SIKH or NON -SIKH ?
A sikh
According to the above statement if the facts are right then we open all new understandings recognized SIKH which have been isolated from mainstream of Sikhism.

very welcome idea

We must grant them all the rights like any other Amridhari or Sehjdjari Sikhs to participate in all the elections to elect the members of Guru Dwaras committees.

Why do you want to be divisve. you were talking of bringing in all in mainstream. Now you want to divide. let them earn voting right as per maryada.
GOLDEN TEMPLE is the center point for all Sikh to visit to pray to realizes the eternal Akal Purkh..
Yes....but many just stay at home and still reach eternal Akal purukh. As Kabir das ji had said. Mann changaa to kthouti mein Ganga.( if you are good at heart, Even a bowl of dirty water is as good as water from ganges).
My parents spent their entire life in Gurudwara sewa in U.P. but I do not remember if they ever went to Golden Temple. I get same feeling at my local gurudwara . I went to Golden Temple only when I got married in that area and my relatives happen to live very close to it.

jasi

SPNer
Apr 28, 2005
canada
SS AKAL JI.

If one try to look deep enough to Guru Nanak Dev Ji teachings and truthful philosophy which opens all the doors for all humanity to be considered as one from one Creator .

Different people from various regions and countries can call GOD by different names like ,Allah or Ram,GOD ,or any other a names.

If one follows the whole philosophy in practical manners there will be wide spread of love among all human race and no ego or racism based on one's cast or by genders will exist in our society.

That is my religion SIKHISM not for the Sikh in India but for all the humanity on this planet.

But as we are so much blessed with such a unique cocept about Akap Purkh and tTuth,but failed to practice and spread the teaching what is taught by Gurbani to all humanity in the world..

We are proud to be Sikh of Guru Nanak Dev Ji and Shri Guru Gobindh Singh Ji who created a flawless khalsa by accepting all to one plate form regardless of any one cast or origin.

That is how great is Sikhism philosophy is,if you take out all ego ridden people,racists, and other dogmas created by self made GURUS getting other to follow them .

Our leaders make every move by limiting others to flourish under eternal Gurbani regardless of special worn garbs or relegion or casts..

Jaspi

My views are in Italics.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM