• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Inspirational Which Pop Songs Remind You Of Sikhi?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Not sure if this thread or title are appropriate, but more than happy for Adminji/Amanji to delete amend as you wish

I, unfortunately rarely listen to shabads, but there are songs that I listen to a lot that inspire me and make me think of Creator, and sometimes make me yearn for a connection, to go up the ladder a rung or two, to join the rest of you in the serenity of the Shabad Guru.

One of my favourites is 'bring me to life' by evanescence, I wondered if anyone had a personal favourite non shabad that encapsulated the way they feel about sikhi, Guru and Waheguru, or even just the relevant part of the lyric,

Evanescence-Bring me to life (lyrics) - YouTube

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Harry ji

I understand what you are trying to discover. The thread does need to be moved to Videos because there is a fine line here. Videos would be a better place

The thread is now in inspirational videos under Videos.

I remember this biographical note: Yogi Bhajan loved the song Long Time Sun, and often a gurdwara service at Guru Ramdas Ashrams would end with it. So let's give it a go.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Posting for someone else

Maxwell - Lifetime Live Circa 2001 - YouTube

Musically, this song has a lot going for it in terms of historical/cultural patterns. Almost an American masterpiece, no maybe an American masterpiece, that takes my imagination all the way back to traditional African chants, and from there to slave chants, and from there to the gospel tradition and bluegrass thrown in. Simply great!

arshdeep88

SPNer
Mar 13, 2013
Most of the coke studio songs sung in sufiyana style do connects you with sikhi

here is one though its in sindi and i also dont know the meaning of the words
and had to visit the cokes studio website to refer to the meaning and here it is what i found

"The song is a beautiful amalgamation of spiritual love with that of the earthly love legends of Sassi and Punnu, a tragic folktale of unfulfilled romantic destiny of “Sassi”, a daughter of a king of Bhamboor (who was abandoned right after birth by her parents, but was later found and adopted by a washer man of this same village) and “Punnu”, who was the son of king from Baluchistan.

Poet says just as Sassi called for her love from one end of the mountain that separated the two called “Dungar” to reach out to her husband and love Punnu, after they were separated right after their marriage, I call you, my lord, from this earth, as I am awake and have tasted the pleasure of your love. I implore you to take my soul to a higher plane...for I am tired of this petty existence and the pain of this separation from you. I long to live in your peaceful abode and sing in your praise.

The Poet says I have seen the world and its devious ways, I want to take the journey to you, no matter how tough it is, just as Sassi undertook the arduous journey from one end of the village to the other and walked for miles before she breathed her last in her pursuit of love. All I request is for you to help ensure that no obstacle ever hampers my journey to you...my Lord...my love."

English lyrics are as follows

"From the ends of the earth I call to you,
Long as my heart goes free,
From the ends of the earth I call to you, when my heart is overwhelmed,
Lead me, Lead me, lead me to the rock,
Lead me, lead me, lead me to the rock that is higher than I,"

Dungar - Clinton Cerejo feat Sawan Khan Manganiyar & Salvation Singers, Coke Studio @ MTV Season 2 - YouTube

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM