• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Which Cuts Deeper ? - Regret Or Remorse!

Pathfinder

Writer
SPNer
Sep 5, 2016
How is regret different from remorse?. Why is this even important to me now?. Some important decisions that will alter my life's course by more than a few compass points are pending and i was just contemplating the consequences of my action / inaction. Someday when i look back on this moment which will seem a better choice? - regret or remorse?.

By default i would pick remorse as i know and feel today, because it would mean i had done something that day, at that moment.. Notwithstanding the fact that it may turn out and seem wrong, incorrect, unwise at a later date maybe. That i had the courage to head into the very heavy swell and be brave enough to keep my ship afloat despite the pounding, pitching and rolling.

Regretting would mean that i took no action, froze on the con - like we call the murderous sin at sea. Succumbed to my fears or the illusion of my fears. That i feel - is not the luxury one can afford at sea or in life, not a sailor - nor a landlubber.

Remorse is the mess we make in our life out of choice. Regret is the beauty we chose to let slip through our fingers due our unwarranted fears. Remorse involves admitting one’s own mistakes and taking responsibility for your actions. It creates a sense of guilt and sorrow for hurting someone else and leads to confession and true apology. It also moves the remorseful person to avoid doing the hurtful action again. Regret leads a person to avoid punishment in the future, while remorse leads to avoiding hurtful actions towards others in the future.

Guilt encompasses you both ways in the end eventually. But then, was it Virginia Woolf or Cinderella who belted out these lines, i, seriously forget now - 'it's better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all...'... in my view - remorse wins over regret. Regret is the bigger cut, the bigger bleeder.

....that's how it feels to me. Over to you..

Last edited:

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
How is regret different from remorse?. Why is this even important to me now?. Some important decisions that will alter my life's course by more than a few compass points are pending and i was just contemplating the consequences of my action / inaction. Someday when i look back on this moment which will seem a better choice? - regret or remorse?.

By default i would pick remorse as i know and feel today, because it would mean i had done something that day, at that moment.. Notwithstanding the fact that it may turn out and seem wrong, incorrect, unwise at a later date maybe. That i had the courage to head into the very heavy swell and be brave enough to keep my ship afloat despite the pounding, pitching and rolling.

Regretting would mean that i took no action, froze on the con - like we call the murderous sin at sea. Succumbed to my fears or the illusion of my fears. That i feel - is not the luxury one can afford at sea or in life, not a sailor - nor a landlubber.

Remorse is the mess we make in our life out of choice. Regret is the beauty we chose to let slip through our fingers due our unwarranted fears. Remorse involves admitting one’s own mistakes and taking responsibility for your actions. It creates a sense of guilt and sorrow for hurting someone else and leads to confession and true apology. It also moves the remorseful person to avoid doing the hurtful action again. Regret leads a person to avoid punishment in the future, while remorse leads to avoiding hurtful actions towards others in the future.

Guilt encompasses you both ways in the end eventually. But then, was it Virginia Woolf or Cinderella who belted out these lines, i forget seriously now - 'it's better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all...'... in my view - remorse wins over regret. Regret is the bigger cut, the bigger bleeder.

....that's how it feels to me. Over to you..

I like the quote you posted. With both, the focus shouldn't be on wallowing in these feelings, it should be to get up and move on and up.

RD1

Writer
SPNer
Sep 25, 2016
I agree with your definitions of remorse and regret. I feel regret arises more so when some opportunity has been missed, and remorse is a little deeper than that - like when something we chose to entangle our self with, does not turn out as we may have expected.

Nevertheless, I think whatever decisions we have made in a moment, was what was meant at that time. Upon reflection and looking back we may feel remorse or regret, however, the future "me" is not the same as the past "me". Based on our personality, our strengths and weaknesses, our emotional state, the surrounding people and context at a certain point in time, we make a decision. Our mindset and who we are as a person and our life context,will likely be different in the future, and therefore why beat ourselves us? Will this lead to anything productive? Hopefully, we made the best decision for ourselves at the point in time. When we look back and reflect, perhaps its best to simply accept what has been done, and most importantly learn from it, and try to improve ourselves for the future.

Pathfinder

Writer
SPNer
Sep 5, 2016
Sikhilove Ji - True, like you assert - that should be the only way forward.

RD1 Ji - like always, you infuse beauty in your post.

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: