• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

What Sikhs Believe (World Sikh Organization Canada)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
<!--content--> <!--Single-Main--> What Sikhs believe

What Sikhs believe | World Sikh Organization of Canada

May 3, 2010
<hr> BY KULPREET SINGH, CALGARY HERALDMAY 3, 2010
Re: “Simmi’s distress hidden in diary,” Valerie Fortney, Opinion, April 30.
I was shocked and confused to read in Valerie Fortney’s column that Harsimrat Kahlon “was not a victim of her culture and religion, acting out extreme Sikh beliefs that female children are a burden because of the prohibitive cost of dowries, or that pregnant, single women are a shame on society.” This is a false statement about Sikh beliefs. Female infanticide is an epidemic in India and particularly in Punjab. However, it has nothing to do with Sikh beliefs. Female infanticide is rooted in patriarchy and the selfish, immature behaviour of heartless people, not in faith teachings. The Sikh code of conduct even forbids sharing a meal with somebody who has killed his or her daughter. Sikhs cut off all forms of communication with “daughter-killers” because this is such a heinous crime. It is inexcusable for a journalist to mix up culture and religion. The Indian patriarchal caste-based culture may allow for female infanticide, but Sikh beliefs condemn this act

Nor are single women a shame on society. Sikh women are exalted and equal to men in Sikh teachings. Women can marry or remain single as they choose, and dowry is prohibited. Fortney is correct that mental illness is often overlooked, especially in the South Asian community, and we appreciate her effort to highlight this. We need to pay better attention to providing support for people in the community with mental health issues.

Kulpreet Singh,
Richmond, B.C.

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald
Read more: What Sikhs believe

otilia

SPNer
Jul 29, 2009
Dear Narayanjot Ji,
Sikh religion is inmerse in another culture... hindu, and as I belive Guru Nanak´s aim, was to form sikh religion in order to compensate this difference between men and women in hindu religion as well as moslems...which shows that from ancient time this people underestimated women. Even nowadays.. marriages are not only arranged but women´s family has to pay the groom.... isn´t it a sign of low value given to women...?

And when visiting India last summer, you can feel the difference. I´ve lived with hindu, and sikh family... and it is amazing he difference.. of women´s role at their houses....
Actually you can enjoy difference from one home to other home atmosphere
:happykaur:Otilia

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
otilla ji

I wish I could remember the source for this. But early on when the British East India Company was in place in northern India, an official remarked that Sikhs are more "indulgent" of their women than other peoples in India.

The comment was not more specific and therefore I don't know what the meaning for "indulgent" was in that particular sentence. One can only project one's own understanding for it.

That however does not make any less the concerns we continue to have about killing of girl children, forced marriages, excessive dowries and honor killings -- in the diaspora and in India -- which hit the news on a regular basis. These are persistent social problems, not limited to Sikhs, but tragic nonetheless. Guru Nanak shared his insight; the rest is up to us.

otilia

SPNer
Jul 29, 2009
Dear Narajanyot Ji,
I agree with you that are tragic practices that still continue in India, ansd what I´ve tried to point out is that sikhs are not sprecially hit by these social practices, because out of whole population they have their religion that gives them another perspective of these practices, even if they haven´t been in western culture
Regards
Otilia Ji:carefreekudi:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
otilla ji

My own experience is that few other groups do as much soul-searching as do Sikhs on matters that affect the well-being of their women. Few groups are as active in advocacy. Few are as persistent in righting wrongs, or working in that direciton.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM