• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

What Is The Essance Of Sikhi?

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
Waheguru ji ka khalsa,
Waheguru ji ki fateh!

Cyber Sangat,

I ask the above question because I am getting confused.
Is the essance of Sikhi rememberance of God? I.E. Satnaam, in an effort to beat maya?

Or is it to worry and argue endlessly about length of hair, eating of meat etc...

Did Guru Ji teach us to worry about dogma, or did Guru Ji start this blessed faith to overthrow dogma?

What is more important?

That we tell those who are not good Sikhs to be better Sikhs, or to concentrate on our own individual Sikhi?

Please cyber sangat let me know if I hgave it wrong but is not any body who belives in the 10 Guru's and the Guru Granth Sahib a Sikh? Did Guru tell us that all Sikhs should strive to be Khalsa, and is not the 5 k's for the Khalsa to keep?

If all of this is true, then we do no good hassling people to keep the kesh, or baning those with cut hair from Gurdwara. Are actions like this playing into the hands of the 5 thieves?

Sooooooo confussed.

Cheers,

lee.

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Dear Lee,

Guru Fateh ji

For me, essence of Sikhi is feeling Him in all His creation.

I dont feel it prudent to judge others' level of sikhi, however, if I see someone following 5Ks, I get opinionated that there is a conscious attempt by this person to walk on sikhi way.

Guru Sahib says - 1. Manas ki jaat sabey ekay pehchanbo
2. Also Rehat pyari mujh ko, sikh pyara nahi

Meaning of 1: Consider mankind as a single race
Meaning of 2: Guru Sahib gives prime importance to the rehat i.e. following principles of sikhism told by Panj Pyaras (Five Beloved)

Oh yes, for sure, one has to work on own sikhi only. However, if another person is also willing to walk along with, it calls for pointing out the flaws/mistakes which new person may be committing. Even today, lot of people point out to me about how to do, and what to do. And I personally take that feedback to improve on myself, rather than an interference in my relation with Guru.

Being a sikh as told by you is the first step. This leads to being a Khalsa (with His blessings). Just like anyone cant go and wear police uniform, Khalsa 5Ks calls for suitable inclination towards Guru.

About playing in hands of 5 thieves, I agree to good extent.

Best Regards.

saintnsipahi

SPNer
Jul 9, 2005
New Delhi
GuruFateh,
As all of us anxiously felling of What is the Essence of Sikhi. All the humans know, that we have one Moon in the sky, and it gives us environmental balance, and giving us light at night. It is present there in horizon but directed by the Nature or by GOD. We are like moon, We are presented by the God, And the Naan Simran makes us to balance the poluted environment of our Soul. And if we are Having Naam Simran with us then, The 5K's are to enlighten the world that The Khalsa, That Khalsa for whom Guru Gobind Singh Saheb has written " Khalsa mero roop hai khaas, Khalse mein houn karoun niwaas. Nowadays we are stronger in body but not by soul. Khalsa with Gurbani Simram and With 5k's make us like the only Moon we have for our Earth. Moon is serving the Earth selflessly because it is created by God. Why are we writing our name with our Sirname? 5K's are like a Sirname of a Sikh. And surely we are not serving our parents well, who has given us the Sirname. Then how could we be able to Serve "Kalgidhar" who is not in vision. What we are doing in this world is, to go our ways by our own ways. It is like that if we have not got a disciplined Academic Values then? Where will we stand? 5K's are to discipline us. And we hate discipline now in this world. Thats why we are discussing about Guru Nanak v/s Guru Gobind Singhji. Because Guru Gobind Singh has given us discipline with the 5k's. What Happened in 1984 in Delhi. It can happen anywhere. The confused sikhs were killed by mobs in there house . And the enlighted Sikhs clashes with the mobs and then killed. We cannot produce another "Bhai Matti Dassji" but we can produce Khalsa with 5k's. 5K's are not a big thing, your soul is a big thing to adopt it. I'm really not pressuring anybody to go for 5K's but pressuring to enlight your soul and become Khalsa Of Guru Gobing Singh Saheb, for that kind of Khalsa, Guru Sahib has given his entire family. We have a less time to walk but have a great time to talk. It is time to walk a little and adopt 5K's. Waheguruji Ka Khalsa, WaheguruJi Ki Fateh.

saintnsipahi

SPNer
Jul 9, 2005
New Delhi
I'm here to update myself with the new thaughts. Dear Mr. Lee has said in his post that "The essance of Sikhi Is to Beat MAYA or to argue endlessly on long hair and eating of meat." It is a clear Misperception of "Maya".Cutting of Long hair and the meat is Maya. Without the knowledge of Gurbani one cannot know about Maya. Maya is a thing which never ends, This world can finish. To demolish Maya one has to surrender to god. But in this world not even a single person knows about the surrender to God. You just, if you have A pet dog in your house, see how the dog behaves to the owner. We have to learn from a dog. How to surrender. We are not even can be equal the dog's thinking. There is a Shabad in gurbani that " Ham Kukar Tere Darbar, Bhoken AAge Badan Pasaar" It is the time to wake up your soul. Khalsey bina Guru Nahi, Guru bina nahi Khalsa.

KSKhalsa

SPNer
Aug 24, 2005
Guru Fateh

The question posed by my friend LEE is quite relevant in today context.

I may not have an exact answer to this, but May Guru Sahib enlighten me to justify on this issue.

Sikhi as per our Satguru is "Sikhi Sikhiya Gur Vichar" so if any one here can elaborate on this, may have the capacity to explain what Sikhi actual is? But who practise Sikhi can't elaborate it becauze it is like "Gungey Ki Mithai". But, what Khalsa is has all the definitions in Rehat Maryada. 5K's are the exterior world synchronization and sikhi is internal synchronization. When both joins means : end of Dwaye Bhav: may be termed as Khalsa.

and our Satguruji has already defined Maya in "Eh maya-jit har visray-moh upjay-bhau dooja laya" in Anand Sahib. So if you have all the time remeberance of God, and dooja bhau has been finished then one can be able to conquer this maya and able to meet HIM while living in this Maya.

We are not able to conquer anything if we are not dutiful. DharamKhand-GyanKhand-SaramKhand and then KaramKhand. For KaramKhand we have all the way to go..... to do whatever Guru tell us............ becauze we are not who created the God. IT is the God who created us and let we shall move an inch in our life towards "Hukam razai chalna Nanak likhya nal"

May God empower us to elaborate the Sikh beauty to this entire world so that concept of Sarbat da Bhala may be acheived.

Once again Guru Fateh.

Sikh N Sleek

SPNer
Aug 22, 2005
London, England
The essense of Sikhism from my persective is simple.

To me it is, as Guru Nanak Ji outlined:

• Work Hard.
  • Share with others.
  • Treat humanity as one.
  • Remember God, who is our creator and sustainer.
Those are the basics, and further on you can add avoid the 5 vices (lust, anger, greed, attachment and pride) and then practise the 5 virtues (Truth, Contentment, Patience, Faith and compassion).

After that if you want to commit yourself to be a solider and a saint then you can take baptisism and by physically carrying the 5 signs of a Khalsa.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM