• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Learn Punjabi What Does ਵਿਸਾਹ ਦਾਨ (visaah Daan) Mean?

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Gurufateh ji

In Ardaas we find:

is`KW nMU is`KI dwn, kys dwn, rihq dwn, ibbyk dwn, ivswh dwn, Brosw dwn,

ਸਿੱਖਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਸਿੱਖੀ ਦਾਨ, ਕੇਸ ਦਾਨ, ਰਹਿਤ ਦਾਨ, ਬਿਬੇਕ ਦਾਨ,
ਵਿਸਾਹ ਦਾਨ, ਭਰੋਸਾ ਦਾਨ, ਦਾਨਾਂ ਸਿਰ ਦਾਨ ਨਾਮ ਦਾਨ,

What does the highlighted section 'visaah daan' mean? The SGPC translates it as 'the gift of truest'.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece
Ishna Ji,
I think it would be 'Gift of trust' instead of 'Gift of truest'.
Interestingly Ishna Ji, ਵਿਸਾਹ ਦਾਨ and ਭਰੋਸਾ ਦਾਨ can roughly be translated to have the same meaning, the Gift of trust.

According to the book I am currently reading, ਅਰਦਾਸ ਦਰਸ਼ਨ ਰੂਪ ਅਭਿਆਸ (by Jaswant Singh Neki, Singh brothers), they have slightly different connotations.
ਵਿਸਾਹ stands for voluntary trust on the Guru and the Lord. The author has equated it with Imaan of Sufi practice. ਵਿਸਾਹ is also used in the meanings of purchasing. It is as if one is placing the trust in the Guru voluntarily, through the virtue of her own actions. The word-forms ਵਿਸਾਹ and ਵਿਸਾਹੁ have been used a number of times in Gurbani.

As far as the word ਭਰੋਸਾ(possible synonyms in Gurbani being ਭਰਵਾਸ, ਟੇਕ, ਆਸਰਾ, ਆਧਾਰ, ਓਟ, ਪਨਹ, ਤਕੀਆ, ਸਰਣ) is concerned, the word is better translated as confidence rather than trust. It is the tendency to look unto the Guru and the Lord in times of need.

Once you have trust upon the Guru/Lord, only then would you have the confidence to look upon the Lord in times of testing, spiritual and physical, to consider the Hukam of Lord as operating the entire creation.

What I have felt is there is a continuum in these ਦਾਨ mentioned in the Ardas,

ਸਿੱਖੀ ਦਾਨ(Gift of faith) --> ਕੇਸ ਦਾਨ(Gift of unshorn hair) -->ਰਹਿਤ ਦਾਨ(Gift of Rehat) -->ਵਿਸਾਹ ਦਾਨ(Gift of trust) -->ਭਰੋਸਾ ਦਾਨ(Gift of confidence) -->ਨਾਮ ਦਾਨ(Gift of the Lord's Name)

Apologies if I have wandered off-topic.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
In Punjabi its usually said..Maa bacheh da visah nahin kardee..

Mother does not "let her mind" forget her child..she is always "conscious" of her child even while doing household chores..thats VISAH

Bharosa..is Faith..Trust..

So when we ask for Visah daan..we are asking for that Gift which a mother has..that we remember the Guru even when doing chores..etc..

And Bharosa is faith..total faith in the GURU that what he does is always for our good...if He throws us down off a cliff....he will be down there to catch us too..

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM