• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Islam U.S. Student Dares Women To Bust Out For 'Boobquake'

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
source: http://www.theprovince.com/news/student+dares+women+bust+Boobquake/2939336/story.html

U.S. student dares women to bust out for 'Boobquake'

By Allison Cross, Canwest News Service - April 22, 2010 - 2:02 PM

2939375.bin

In this undated handout photo is American university student Jen McCreight, who created Boobquake, at an event meant to protest a statement made by an Islamic cleric claiming female immodesty caused earthquakes. Boobquake, which encourages women to wear cleavage-baring shirts on Monday April 26, 2010, quickly gained popularity through Twitter and Facebook.

Photograph by: Handout, Jennifer McCreight

An Islamic cleric's suggestion that immodestly dressed women cause earthquakes has drawn thousands to join an American student's busty bid to shake up the world — by revealing cleavage.

Jen McCreight is the creator of Boobquake, an event scheduled for Monday, which has already garnered the support of more than 40,000 people on Facebook.

McCreight, a 22-year-old attending Purdue University in Indiana, is pushing women to bare their breast cleavage for a day to satirize Islamic cleric Hojatoleslam Kazem Sedighi, who recently blamed earthquakes on immodest female clothing.

"Many women who do not dress modestly . . . lead young men astray, corrupt their chastity and spread adultery in society, which (consequently) increases earthquakes," Sedighi told Iranian media on April 16.

Sedighi is Tehran's acting Friday prayer leader.

Out of frustration, McCreight took to her blog to promote Boobquake as a way for "other female skeptics to join me and embrace the supposed supernatural power of their breasts."

"With the power of our scandalous bodies combined, we should surely produce an earthquake," she wrote on her blog. "If not, I'm sure Sedighi can come up with a rational explanation for why the ground didn't rumble."

With the help of Facebook and Twitter, word of Boobquake travelled fast and, within 24 hours, had recruited tens of thousands of supporters.

"I think it became so popular because people are increasingly fed up with supernatural, anti-science statements, especially when they're hateful towards women," McCreight told Canwest News Service.

"When someone says something so ridiculous, sometimes lighthearted mockery is the best way to respond. Of course, there's a serious message too: that women should have the right to choose how they dress, and not be forced to cover up by men. . . . I'm a scientist and a feminist, so when I read what Sedighi said, I couldn't help but respond. People need to continue pointing out how ludicrous these sorts of claims are."

By Thursday afternoon, more than 43,000 people had responded to the event McCreight created on Facebook, saying they planned to participate. Some were serious, others were not.

"Save the TaTas!" one women posted. A group on Flickr, a photo-sharing website, has already been created for photos from Monday's event.

McCreight, who describes herself as an liberal, atheist feminist, said women don't have to show off their cleavage or wear a short skirt to participate.
"The name of the event may be about boobs, but feel free to show an ankle on Monday — that will still be immodest to someone, somewhere," she said.

McCreight's blog, called Blag Hag, can be found here: www.blaghag.com
© Copyright (c) Canwest News Service

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
We can only pray that there won't be a major earthquake on Apr. 26, 2010.

Assuming there isn't, I suppose the cleric could either [try to] ignore the whole thing or say that Allah didn't react because He was being made fun of and His feelings were hurt.

Am I going to show cleavage on that date? Hey, I'm 58 and fat and the sight of my cleavage would probably upset my neighbours' delicate stomachs. I think I'll pass on this one. :veryhappykudi::veryhappykaur:

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
"Many women who do not dress modestly . . . lead young men astray, corrupt their chastity and spread adultery in society, which (consequently) increases earthquakes," Sedighi told Iranian media on April 16.
I have to agree... This is exactly how the dinosaurs became extinct. :crazy:

I don't think we need to look forward to April 26, 2010. If dressing immodestly causes earthquakes, shouldn't we be experiencing Earthquakes (at least) every night...?

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
I have to agree... This is exactly how the dinosaurs became extinct. :crazy:

I don't think we need to look forward to April 26, 2010. If dressing immodestly causes earthquakes, shouldn't we be experiencing Earthquakes (at least) every night...?

Bhagat Singh ji,

I am astonished at your lack of knowledge!:shockedmunda:

Don't you know that there never were any dinosaurs? Those were just frauds made up by those antiChrist atheistic scientists out to destroy the Bible-believing Christians. Honestly, dinosaurs! Who could possibly believe in something as outlandish and improbable as dinosaurs!:blinkingkudi:

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Bhagat Singh ji,

Don't you know that there never were any dinosaurs? Those were just frauds made up by those antiChrist atheistic scientists out to destroy the Bible-believing Christians. Honestly, dinosaurs! Who could possibly believe in something as outlandish and improbable as dinosaurs!:blinkingkudi:
Please don't stone me! I have a family who needs to take care of me!!! :beg:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
There is a saying in Portuguese in Brasil:

A vida e' um sutian, peitos para frente.

Loosely- no pun intended- translated:

Life is like a Bra, live it with your boobs marching ahead.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Bhagat Singh ji,

I thought Jesus rode a T.Rex or two in the desert to pick dates from the tall palm trees.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM