• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

To Keep The Lord In The Pocket Or The Heart!

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
To keep the Lord in the pocket or in the heart!

We, Sikhs being learners, should follow Guru Teachings doubtlessly; we love Guru and the Lord; however, we love more ourselves than the Lord. That alone, disturbs our spiritual journey. As long as hypocritical deeds and behavior are accepted by the mind, all appears to be fine but in truth, it is not. To understand it further, it is fair to say that through the deeds and behavior triggered by “I-force”, we keep the Lord in our pockets in stead of in our hearts. Guru says:
ਅੰਤਰਿ ਤੇਰੈ ਹਰਿ ਵਸੈ ਗੁਰ ਸੇਵਾ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਇ ਰਹਾਉ
Anar erai har vasai gur sevā suk pā▫e. Rahā▫o.
The Lord dwells within you; serving the Guru, you shall find peace. ||Pause||
ਮਃ 3
ਘਟ ਘਟ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਰਵਿ ਰਹਿਆ ਸਦਾ ਸਹਾਈ ਸੰਗਿ ਰਹਾਉ
Gat gat anar rav rahi▫ā saā sahā▫ī sang. ||1|| rahā▫o.
He is contained deep within each and every heart. He is always with you, as your Helper and Support. ||1||Pause||
ਮਃ 5
Aren’t we boasting about being Sikhs quite often, feel proud to be Sikhs? How sincerely we learn from the Guru? We like to learn but we don’t in fact. That is why we really do not have peace of mind (I am talking about the ever peace of mind not the momentarily peace)? People say” we are happy and also we are satisfied”; however, what they express through their talk and behavior, is disappointing in the context of peace and contentment. There are a few questions that bother me being a learner.
Why does mind bottle up with hatred if some one says some thing against this” I-force”? Doesn’t Guru says it is immaterial what others say about you? (SGGS Ji 24)
We recite and understand Gurbani (at last its initial principles) but we fail whenever to make a choice to follow Gurbani or the mind?
Why does the mind get thrilled by some one’s a compliment? Who is behind this longing to be praised?
When some one, who is closer, does make a mistake, we eagerly turn generous to forgive but make a mountain out of a hole if other makes the same kind of mistake, why?
In other simple words, why does this mind lack stillness even after declaring our alliance to the Guru?
Why does mind still think that other than the Gurbani, there are lots of stuff that can help us more or it should also considered for spiritual progression besides Gurbani? Why is this duality or a diversion from a complete surrender to Guru?

Guru gives us warning to choose the company because it influences our behavior and attitude a lot
ਓਨਾ ਪਾਸਿ ਦੁਆਸਿ ਨ ਭਿਟੀਐ ਜਿਨ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਕ੍ਰੋਧੁ ਚੰਡਾਲ
Onā pās u▫ās na bitī▫ai jin anar kroḏẖ candāl. ||3||
Do not meet with, or even approach those people, whose hearts are filled with horrible anger. ||3||
ਮਃ 4
Why? Answer is:
ਤ੍ਰਿਸਨਾ ਲਾਗੀ ਰਚਿ ਰਹਿਆ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਹਉਮੈ ਕੂਰਿ
Ŧarisnā lāgī rac rahi▫ā anar ha▫umai kūr.
They are engrossed in clinging desires; within their hearts there is ego and falsehood.
ਮਃ 5
So what is going on then?
If we go through Gurbani, we come across with many Shabadas that state that without cleaning the heart, without having high gravity of sincerity towards Guru, we slip back to the temptations our mind enforces within us; so Guru is not followed as required for spiritual progression. What are the culprits that build a wall between our Guru and us? Guru answers:
ਮਨਹਠਿ ਕਰਮ ਕਮਾਵਦੇ ਨਿਤ ਨਿਤ ਹੋਹਿ ਖੁਆਰੁ
Manhaṯẖ karam kamāvḏe niṯ niṯ hohi kẖu▫ār.
They go about their business stubborn-mindedly; they are disgraced forever and ever.

ਅੰਤਰਿ ਸਾਂਤਿ ਆਵਈ ਨਾ ਸਚਿ ਲਗੈ ਪਿਆਰੁ
Anṯar sāʼnṯ na āvī nā sacẖ lagai pi▫ār. ||6||
Inner peace does not come to them; they do not embrace love for the True Lord. ||6||

Guru ji beautifully expresses a picture of His being within us while describing why we just cannot unite with Him:

ਦੁਖੁ ਦਰਵਾਜਾ ਰੋਹੁ ਰਖਵਾਲਾ ਆਸਾ ਅੰਦੇਸਾ ਦੁਇ ਪਟ ਜੜੇ
Ḏukẖ ḏarvājā rohu rakẖvālā āsā anḏesā ḏu▫e pat jaṛe.
Pain is the door, and anger is the guard; hope and anxiety are the two shutters.

ਮਾਇਆ ਜਲੁ ਖਾਈ ਪਾਣੀ ਘਰੁ ਬਾਧਿਆ ਸਤ ਕੈ ਆਸਣਿ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਰਹੈ
Mā▫i▫ā jal kẖā▫ī pāṇī gẖar bāḏẖi▫ā saṯ kai āsaṇ purakẖ rahai. ||2||
Maya is the water in the moat; in the middle of this moat, he has built his home. The Primal Lord sits in the Seat of Truth. ||2||

So do we try to dismantle all this? If we did, we wouldn’t be in this dilemma any way, so answer is” No” The truth is this that we just don’t take Guru as Guru and the Lord as Lord, we just play games. Many of us are just playing with the Lord as if we would beat the game. Guru ji makes us aware from that illusion too:
ਹਟ ਪਟਣ ਬਿਜ ਮੰਦਰ ਭੰਨੈ ਕਰਿ ਚੋਰੀ ਘਰਿ ਆਵੈ
Hat pataṇ bij manḏar bẖannai kar cẖorī gẖar āvai.
I broke into the shops of the city and well-guarded palaces; stealing from them, I come home again.

ਅਗਹੁ ਦੇਖੈ ਪਿਛਹੁ ਦੇਖੈ ਤੁਝ ਤੇ ਕਹਾ ਛਪਾਵੈ
Agahu ḏekẖai picẖẖahu ḏekẖai ṯujẖ ṯe kahā cẖẖapāvai. ||3||
I looked in front of me, and I looked behind me, but where could I hide from You? ||3||
Obviously, we act like fools. A path to have union with the Lord needs daring heart; it needs commitment to the Guru and to keep that commitment. “I-force” has to go. This is the one that keeps the Lord in the pockets and never let us enjoy His presence with in us. We fill ourselves with so much filth; it appears that there is not enough space for the Lord. Think about an instance of filling a utensils with milk; if in the utensil, there is some filth, milk will not remain milk, the other thing will get mixed with the milk; so to have pure milk in the utensil, the filth needs to be cleaned. Guru can enable us to do so only if our hearts are cleaned as per Guru Direction; however, a few keep the heart pure as per Guru Observation:
ਸੂਚੈ ਭਾਡੈ ਸਾਚੁ ਸਮਾਵੈ ਵਿਰਲੇ ਸੂਚਾਚਾਰੀ
Sūcai bādai sāc samāvai virle sūcācārī.
In the pure vessel, the True Name is contained; how few are those who practice true conduct.
ਮਃ 1

To be continued

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
The Amar Katha Of Bhagat Dhru Jee
SikhLionz.com: Sikh Stories: The Amar Katha Of Bhagat Dhru Jee

PK70 Ji,

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

I found the above katha of Bhagat Dhruv relevant to this thread. You may ask how so, and I have the answer.

Namjap ji,
Waheguru ji ki fateh !
Many thanks.
I am pleased to know that you have found something related to this thread; however, I do not listen to or read katha done by any one ever. I ponder over Guru shabad very seriously and very slowly, consult some of my favorites like Dr. Sahib Singh ji and others to figure out what is being said and try to share Guru Message with all of you with self analysis.
Again thanks for paying attention to Guru Message..:happy:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
pk70 ji

The shabad is very powerful -- I had forgotten how much so. Any line picked at random is a lesson. This one stood out for me tonight,

ਓਨਾ ਪਾਸਿ ਦੁਆਸਿ ਨ ਭਿਟੀਐ ਜਿਨਅੰਤਰਿਕ੍ਰੋਧੁ ਚੰਡਾਲ
Do not meet with, or even approach those people, whose hearts are filled with horrible anger. ||3||
ਮਃ 4

Guruji tells us that the debris of negativity will stick to us if we linger too long in the company of negative people -- those driven by anger, lust, greed, attachment, and self-conceit. So we need to practice love, compassion, wisdom, humility, and contentment; and so we do well to seek the company of the holy. ਸਾਧੂ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਨਿਰਮਲਾ ਆਪਿ ਕਰੇ ਪ੍ਰਤਿਪਾਲ ॥ saadhhoo sangath niramalaa aap karae prathipaal ||
In the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, one becomes immaculate and pure; the Lord Himself takes care of such a one.
But I think many would want to know how to become pure and to find Him contained with each heart.

ਘਟ ਘਟਅੰਤਰਿਰਵਿ ਰਹਿਆ ਸਦਾ ਸਹਾਈ ਸੰਗਿ ਰਹਾਉ Gat gat anar rav rahi▫ā saā sahā▫ī sang. ||1|| He is contained deep within each and every heart. He is always with you, as your Helper and Support.

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
pk70 ji

The shabad is very powerful -- I had forgotten how much so. Any line picked at random is a lesson. This one stood out for me tonight,

ਓਨਾ ਪਾਸਿ ਦੁਆਸਿ ਨ ਭਿਟੀਐ ਜਿਨਅੰਤਰਿਕ੍ਰੋਧੁ ਚੰਡਾਲ
ਮਃ 4

Guruji tells us that the debris of negativity will stick to us if we linger too long in the company of negative people -- those driven by anger, lust, greed, attachment, and self-conceit. So we need to practice love, compassion, wisdom, humility, and contentment; and so we do well to seek the company of the holy. ਸਾਧੂ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਨਿਰਮਲਾ ਆਪਿ ਕਰੇ ਪ੍ਰਤਿਪਾਲ ॥ saadhhoo sangath niramalaa aap karae prathipaal ||
In the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, one becomes immaculate and pure; the Lord Himself takes care of such a one.
But I think many would want to know how to become pure and to find Him contained with each heart.

ਘਟ ਘਟਅੰਤਰਿਰਵਿ ਰਹਿਆ ਸਦਾ ਸਹਾਈ ਸੰਗਿ ਰਹਾਉ Gat gat anar rav rahi▫ā saā sahā▫ī sang. ||1|| He is contained deep within each and every heart. He is always with you, as your Helper and Support.

aad Jio
Even if a little dose of Gurbani is taken, over years it eradicates a lot of filth and mind-set negativity. Thanks for listening to Guru Message:)

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
So how that miracle (of having Him within to guide our deeds) can happen when neither we clean our hearts nor we long for the Lord, and we are just happy with our game? Here is a Guru advice to start up:
ਗਾਵੀਐ ਸੁਣੀਐ ਮਨਿ ਰਖੀਐ ਭਾਉ
Gāvī▫ai suī▫ai man rakī▫ai bā▫o.
Sing, and listen, and let your mind be filled with love.
ਮਃ 1

All the questions mentioned above, need our special attention to move on the spiritual path Guru wants us to follow; if still mind remains the guide, whatever is practiced as a way of religious satisfaction, remains an act of a game, please remember what Kabeer ji says, may be by realizing our mistake, we can start on Guru path and feel Him in the heart not in the pocket.
ਮਾਥੇ ਤਿਲਕੁ ਹਥਿ ਮਾਲਾ ਬਾਨਾਂ
Māthe ṯilak hath mālā bānāʼn.
Some apply ceremonial marks to their foreheads, hold malas in their hands, and wear religious robes. ( religious show off to ourselves and to others)

ਲੋਗਨ ਰਾਮੁ ਖਿਲਉਨਾ ਜਾਨਾਂ
Logan rām kẖil▫a▫unā jānāʼn. ||1||
Some people think that the Lord is a play-thing. ||1||

By giving up the game, if one can just comprehend what Guru ji says in the following Shabad, miracle can be inventible. In the following translation, the word” insane” must be taken in sense of” being crazy for/being totally in love
ਭਇਆ ਦਿਵਾਨਾ ਸਾਹ ਕਾ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਬਉਰਾਨਾ ਹਉ ਹਰਿ ਬਿਨੁ ਅਵਰੁ ਜਾਨਾ ਰਹਾਉ
Ignorant Nanak has become mad after his Lord. Without God, I know not another. Pause.
Note: Here when Guru says that he doesn’t acknowledge any one; it also means not to acknowledge “I-force”
ਤਉ ਦੇਵਾਨਾ ਜਾਣੀਐ ਜਾ ਭੈ ਦੇਵਾਨਾ ਹੋਇ ਏਕੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਬਾਹਰਾ ਦੂਜਾ ਅਵਰੁ ਜਾਣੈ ਕੋਇ
Then should a man be called crazy(for the Lord), if he becomes crazy about the fear of God, and recognizes none other than the One Lord.
ਤਉ ਦੇਵਾਨਾ ਜਾਣੀਐ ਜਾ ਏਕਾ ਕਾਰ ਕਮਾਇ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਪਛਾਣੈ ਖਸਮ ਕਾ ਦੂਜੀ ਅਵਰ ਸਿਆਣਪ ਕਾਇ
Then alone he is known to be insane(crazy for the Lord), if he performs the One Lord's service, and realises his Lord's command. In what else is there wisdom?
ਤਉ ਦੇਵਾਨਾ ਜਾਣੀਐ ਜਾ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਧਰੇ ਪਿਆਰੁ ਮੰਦਾ ਜਾਣੈ ਆਪ ਕਉ ਅਵਰੁ ਭਲਾ ਸੰਸਾਰੁ
Then alone one is deemed insane(crazy for the Lord), when he cherishes the love for One Lord, and knows himself bad and rest of the world as good.
Change the company that drag you back into the holes of illusions and follow Guru to have Him within.

G Singh

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA

Kindly ponder over following Guru Vaak, a perfect diagnosis of the world we live in today
:)

ਹਉਮੈ
ਮਮਤਾ ਮੋਹਣੀ ਸਭ ਮੁਠੀ ਅਹੰਕਾਰਿ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

Ha▫umai mamṯā mohṇī sabẖ muṯẖī ahaʼnkār. ||1|| rahā▫o.
Egotism and possessiveness are very enticing; egotistical pride has plundered everyone. ||1||Pause||
ਮਃ 1

Last edited by a moderator:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: