• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Gurus The True Savior

Jul 10, 2006
I will posting the article "The True Savior" in small readable sections here. FYI, this article has been created to refute an anti-Sikh propoganda site started by the Muslims. Yes they are at it again.

The True Savior

By: Bijla Singh

Throughout the article “The Expendable Wife” Muslims have made ridiculous assumptions about Guru Nanak Sahib and tried to show him as a neglectful man which is far from the actual truth. Further, the claim is made that Guru Sahib is not an ideal role model for the humanity to follow. In this article, by Guru’s grace we will not only disapprove the polemics of Muslims but also prove that Guru Sahib is by far the best role model and show the trueness of Guru Nanak Sahib, the only true savior of the world.

Guru Nanak Sahib is the Satguru, a true Guru, who is highest of all, always has been and will always be.

You are the True Guru, throughout the four ages; You Yourself are the Transcendent Lord. (Ang 1406)

Guru Nanak is the greatest of all; He saved my honor in this Dark Age of Kali Yuga. (Ang 750)

Mission of Guru Sahib

Muslims citing the source from Patwant Singh’s book claim that Guru Sahib left His home to “find answers” and spend time “in wilderness”. It seems as though neither Muslims nor Patwant Singh have studied the Sikh history or fully understood it because neither one of them presented any credible sources to prove such claims. What questions did He have answers to which could only be found in Tibet, Sri Lanka and Medina? Did he find the answers? If yes where are they written? Which particular question was answered at which place during which journey? Both have no answers because such ridiculous claims are nowhere to be found in any credible history source. The oldest record of history of Guru Sahib is written by Bhai Gurdas Ji which gives us a factual look at the reality.

Before Guru Nanak Sahib there was utter darkness of ignorance in the minds of humanity. Islam and Hinduism had failed to provide proper guidance to the people and path of true peacefulness. Everyone was engrossed in lust and greed. Guru Sahib’s mission was to show a right path to humanity, which provides pace of mind, spiritual enlightenment and helps one to achieve salvation. For this very purpose He traveled in all four directions and visited many religious centers.

In his meditation, Baba found the whole earth burning (with the fire of lust, greed and anger). Without Guru there is utter darkness and he heard the cries of the common men…… Thus he went out to depurate humanity on earth. (Vaar 1)

Thus it was for this purpose that Guru Sahib left His home. Bhai Gurdas Ji further states:

Baba liberated all four directions and nine divisions of earth. Gurmukh (Guru Nanak) has emerged in this kaliyug, the Dark Age. (Vaar 1)

Therefore, it is clear that the mission was to provide a path of liberation and preach the truth which Guru Sahib successfully accomplished.

to be continued

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
I will posting the article "The True Savior" in small readable sections here. FYI, this article has been created to refute an anti-Sikh propoganda site started by the Muslims. Yes they are at it again.

The True Savior

Throughout the article “The Expendable Wife” Muslims have made ridiculous assumptions about Guru Nanak Sahib and tried to show him as a neglectful man which is far from the actual truth. Further, the claim is made that Guru Sahib is not an ideal role model for the humanity to follow. In this article, by Guru’s grace we will not only disapprove the polemics of Muslims but also prove that Guru Sahib is by far the best role model and show the trueness of Guru Nanak Sahib, the only true savior of the world.

Guru Nanak Sahib is the Satguru, a true Guru, who is highest of all, always has been and will always be.

You are the True Guru, throughout the four ages; You Yourself are the Transcendent Lord. (Ang 1406)

Guru Nanak is the greatest of all; He saved my honor in this Dark Age of Kali Yuga. (Ang 750)

Mission of Guru Sahib

Muslims citing the source from Patwant Singh’s book claim that Guru Sahib left His home to “find answers” and spend time “in wilderness”. It seems as though neither Muslims nor Patwant Singh have studied the Sikh history or fully understood it because neither one of them presented any credible sources to prove such claims. What questions did He have answers to which could only be found in Tibet, Sri Lanka and Medina? Did he find the answers? If yes where are they written? Which particular question was answered at which place during which journey? Both have no answers because such ridiculous claims are nowhere to be found in any credible history source. The oldest record of history of Guru Sahib is written by Bhai Gurdas Ji which gives us a factual look at the reality.

Before Guru Nanak Sahib there was utter darkness of ignorance in the minds of humanity. Islam and Hinduism had failed to provide proper guidance to the people and path of true peacefulness. Everyone was engrossed in lust and greed. Guru Sahib’s mission was to show a right path to humanity, which provides pace of mind, spiritual enlightenment and helps one to achieve salvation. For this very purpose He traveled in all four directions and visited many religious centers.

In his meditation, Baba found the whole earth burning (with the fire of lust, greed and anger). Without Guru there is utter darkness and he heard the cries of the common men…… Thus he went out to depurate humanity on earth. (Vaar 1)

Thus it was for this purpose that Guru Sahib left His home. Bhai Gurdas Ji further states:

Baba liberated all four directions and nine divisions of earth. Gurmukh (Guru Nanak) has emerged in this kaliyug, the Dark Age. (Vaar 1)

Therefore, it is clear that the mission was to provide a path of liberation and preach the truth which Guru Sahib successfully accomplished.

to be continued

Hmm I would disagree about the criticism of Patwant Singh.....I would say he is very well versed in Sikh teaching......

Jul 10, 2006
Continued

The True Savior

Neglect or Sacrifice?

Muslims claim Guru Sahib “left home and neglected his family” and “did not fulfill his responsibilities”. Such claims can only be made by those who fail to understand the truth and are blinded by ignorance. The fact is that Guru Sahib wanted to liberate the humanity from the fire of lust, anger and greed because such were (and still are) the main causes of one’s separation from Waheguru (God). Those who do not meditate upon Naam are engrossed in five vices and suffer in their entire life. Guru Sahib preached Naam and whosoever obtained it forsake all worldly pleasures that lead to separation from Waheguru.

If Guru Sahib wanted to deliver peace to the humanity would he not have started His mission from his own family? He very well did and the first person to become Sikh was His sister, Bibi Nanki Ji, followed by many others including His own wife, Mata Sulakhanee Ji. The message delivered through Guru Sahib by Waheguru not only provided absolute blissful peace for people but also eradicated the five vices (Lust, Anger, Greed, Worldly Attachment and Ego).

Lust, anger, egotism, jealousy and desire are eliminated by chanting the Name of the Lord. (Ang 1388)

It would’ve been very selfish to know the path of liberation and not show it to others. Guru Sahib wanted everyone to enjoy the true peace. The only way to do that was by traveling in all four directions and preaching the truth. He targeted the major religious centers first. He went to Hardwar and Banaras (Hindu places), Mecca, Baghdad and Medina (Muslim places), Nepal, Sri Lanka and Tibet which are Buddhist places.

Guru Sahib left His home for a greater good i.e. to provide true happiness and peace to the humanity. It was a sacrifice He made for the mission He was bestowed upon by Akal Purakh (God). Mata Sulakhanee, His wife, was a very wise person and a devout Sikh. She clearly understood the mission and fully supported her husband in this great feat. There are no sources that claim that Mata Sulakhanee did not approve Guru Sahib leaving home or if she was not consulted in making this decision. She was satisfied by the blessings of Naam and wasn’t attached to the materialistic pleasures.

In Sikhi, Naam (constant meditation of God) has the power to provide all satisfactions. With Naam one’s desire to eat, drink and sleep goes away. There have been numerous accounts of Sikhs who never got married and never had sexual desires. Muslim Sufis, Buddhist Monks and many Hindu and Christian saints live the life of celibacy. Most fundamental teaching of Sikhi is to control one’s desires and be absorbed in Naam.

Mata Sulakhanee enjoyed the company of Guru Nanak Sahib and had received the blessings of Naam. She had attained peace and spiritual level of attachment only with Waheguru. Had she been so worried about her sex life, she never would have consented Guru Sahib to go. According to history records such as Prachin Panth Parkash and Nanak Parkash, Mata Ji stayed with her in-laws while Guru Sahib was away. Guru Sahib was from a wealthy family which proves that neither Mata Ji nor the kids were deprived of basic worldly needs and they were well taken care of financially. Furthermore, disagreement between Guru Sahib and Mata Ji would have resulted in separation but such never happened. After each journey Guru Sahib returned home but never once did Mata Sulakhanee Ji object Him going away again. She understood very well that Guru Nanak Sahib had come to this earth for the entire humanity and it was absolutely necessary for Him to spread the message of God.

By taking journeys Guru Sahib taught that for the sake of truth one should not hesitate to sacrifice not only himself but also his entire family. Sikhs, being the true followers, lived up to it and sacrificed their families and children but never gave up the true path of life, Sikhi. Therefore, it is utterly foolish to disregard His sacrifice and turn it into neglect.

to be continued

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Kaur Bhenji

It is baffling isn't it? Archaeologists go on expeditions, anthropologists go into the field, biologists take post-doctoral fellowships away from home, preachers of all faiths evangelize in foreign countries, all leaving families behind, all serving a greater good. They are featured on television programs and receive awards as distinguished citizens. Nanaak goes on a few trips and centuries later, in some quarters, becomes the subject of suspicion, criticism and outrage. Maybe there is a hidden agenda.

Anyway this is a good resource for a comparative study of values. Thank you.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Caroline ji

The story as I recall was that Naanak had to have some encouraging discussions with his wife Sulakhani. His sister Nanaki was supportive of Naanak from childhood. But I am not sure.

And yes, the hidden agenda is pretty obvious. In political forums, the idea that Naanak abandoned his family would be called a "red herring."

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Is this all a chemistry test that if we fuse this item with that event = A++ result.
But if this formula didnt work 'favourably' then another kind of test will 'prove' that they are correct.

Evad OOcha Hovai Koyei
Tis Uche Ko Janney Soei

Please don't become curious regarding my comments and don't answer to it.

Jan 15, 2008
Kansas & Haiti
I am reading a book about the life of Guru Nanak. It is just a short book and probably not highly esteemed by the purists, but it has been an inspiration to me and has brought more things to my awareness that confirm the fact that Guru Nanak brought a message that I can follow with no cognitive dissonance. After I read this one, I will delve into deeper studies but I wanted to read a little on each Guru, while reading the daily Hukamnama and as much SGGS as I can. I am also reading a book called "The Name of My Beloved, Verses of the Sikh Gurus" translated by Nikky Guninder Kaur and reccommended by Khushwant Singh. At any rate, what I have read so far, along with info about Guru Nanak on the internet gave me the impressions that Guru Nanak's wife was not happy with the idea of him leaving to help others but that she accepted it and was supportive of him after she understood the necessity and importance of his work.

Of course, somebody will try to make this out to be something negative, at the same time, conveniently glossing over the fact that generations of men have been absent from their families because of duties of their "profession" such as soldiers, merchants, etc...

It's pretty pitiful when the only thing bad you can think of to say about someone is that his wife didn't really want him to go out on his duty until they talked about it. And then to go on and write an article! Talk about grasping at straws!!!

What I like about the teachers I respect, like Guru Nanak, Guru Gobind Singh, Jesus, etc... is that whenever you talk about them you don't have to preface your discussion with a disclaimer such as, "Take into consideration that child marriage was the custom at the time..." I like the fact that we can just say, "Guru Nanak..." and not have to make excuses for him in any way.

That's not true of all paths. And perhaps some are trying to make it untrue of others in order to justify their own.

Just a thought. Admitedly, I am no scholar -- not in Sikhi anyhow.

Joy to all today!

Apr 4, 2007
I am also reading a book called "The Name of My Beloved, Verses of the Sikh Gurus" translated by Nikky Guninder Kaur and reccommended by Khushwant Singh.

slightly off topic (but what's new :D)

Nikky Gurinder Kaur wrote an incredible book called "The Feminine Principle in the Sikh Vision of the Transcendent". i'm in the middle of it right now and all i can say is that it's a MUST for anyone who is interested learning more about how unique Sikhi is in it's non-patriarchal approach to the divine.

jamesuk

SPNer
Mar 5, 2008

The True Savior

May I ask you when you say True Savior. What does Guru Nanak Saves you from ?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
jamesuk ji

Please post perspectives about the True Savior in the Interfaith Dialog Section of the forum. What I have observed so far has been Christian thought. Not anything at all that refutes Muslim thought. And even if you plan to refute Muslim thought, it needs to go in Interfaith Dialog Section of the forum.

Thank you,
Mod.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: