• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Stages Of Human Life

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan
STAGES OF HUMAN LIFE

Guru Tegh Bahadur describes in his Slokes that the human life has three stages after birth.

ਬਾਲ ਜੁਆਨੀ ਅਰੁ ਬਿਰਧਿ ਫੁਨਿ ਤੀਨਿ ਅਵਸਥਾ ਜਾਨਿ ॥ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਹਰਿ ਭਜਨ ਬਿਨੁ ਬਿਰਥਾ ਸਭ ਹੀ ਮਾਨੁ ॥

Baal Juanee Ur Birdh Foun Teen Avasthaa Jaan, Kaho Nānak Har Bẖajan Bin Birthā Sabẖ Hī Mān.

Childhood, youth, and old age – are known as three stages of life. Says Nanak, without meditating on the Akal Purkh, everything is useless; you must appreciate this.
-----Guru Teg Bahadur Sloke, AGGS, Page, 1428-7

Guru Nanak in Raag Majh and Kabir in Raag Asa ponder on various ages from birth to old age approaching the end of our journey:

ਦਸ ਬਾਲਤਣਿ ਬੀਸ ਰਵਣਿ ਤੀਸਾ ਕਾ ਸੁੰਦਰੁ ਕਹਾਵੈ ॥ਚਾਲੀਸੀ ਪੁਰੁ ਹੋਇ ਪਚਾਸੀ ਪਗੁ ਖਿਸੈ ਸਠੀ ਕੇ ਬੋਢੇਪਾ ਆਵੈ ॥ਸਤਰਿ ਕਾ ਮਤਿਹੀਣੁ ਅਸੀਹਾਂ ਕਾ ਵਿਉਹਾਰੁ ਨ ਪਾਵੈ ॥ਨਵੈ ਕਾ ਸਿਹਜਾਸਣੀ ਮੂਲਿ ਨ ਜਾਣੈ ਅਪ ਬਲੁ ॥ਢੰਢੋਲਿਮੁ ਢੂਢਿਮੁ ਡਿਠੁ ਮੈ ਨਾਨਕ ਜਗੁ ਧੂਏ ਕਾ ਧਵਲਹਰੁ ॥

Ḏas bālṯaṇ bīs ravaṇ ṯīsā kā sunḏar kahāvai. Cẖālīsī pur ho¬ė pacẖāsī pag kẖisai saṯẖī kė bodẖėpā āvai. Saṯar kā maṯihīṇ asīhāʼn kā vi¬uhār na pāvai. Navai kā sihjāsṇī mūl na jāṇai ap bal. Dẖandẖolim dẖūdẖim diṯẖ mai Nānak jag ḏẖū¬ė kā ḏẖavalhar.

At the age of ten, he is a child; at twenty, a youth, and at thirty, he is called handsome. At forty, he is full of life; at fifty, his foot slips, and at sixty, old age is upon him. At seventy, he loses his intellect, and at eighty, he cannot perform his duties. At ninety, he lies in his bed, and he cannot understand his weakness. After seeking and searching for such a long time, O Nanak, I have seen that the world is just a mansion of smoke. -----Guru Nanak, Vaar Raag Majh, AGGS, Page, 138

ਬਾਰਹ ਬਰਸ ਬਾਲਪਨ ਬੀਤੇ ਬੀਸ ਬਰਸ ਕਛੁ ਤਪੁ ਨ ਕੀਓ ॥ਤੀਸ ਬਰਸ ਕਛੁ ਦੇਵ ਨ ਪੂਜਾ ਫਿਰਿ ਪਛੁਤਾਨਾ ਬਿਰਧਿ ਭਇਓ ॥ਮੇਰੀ ਮੇਰੀ ਕਰਤੇ ਜਨਮੁ ਗਇਓ ॥ ਸਾਇਰੁ ਸੋਖਿ ਭੁਜੰ ਬਲਇਓ ॥ ਸੂਕੇ ਸਰਵਰਿ ਪਾਲਿ ਬੰਧਾਵੈ ਲੂਣੈ ਖੇਤਿ ਹਥ ਵਾਰਿ ਕਰੈ ॥ ਆਇਓ ਚੋਰੁ ਤੁਰੰਤਹ ਲੇ ਗਇਓ ਮੇਰੀ ਰਾਖਤ ਮੁਗਧੁ ਫਿਰੈ ॥ਚਰਨ ਸੀਸੁ ਕਰ ਕੰਪਨ ਲਾਗੇ ਨੈਨੀ ਨੀਰੁ ਅਸਾਰ ਬਹੈ ॥ਜਿਹਵਾ ਬਚਨੁ ਸੁਧੁ ਨਹੀ ਨਿਕਸੈ ਤਬ ਰੇ ਧਰਮ ਕੀ ਆਸ ਕਰੈ ॥ਹਰਿ ਜੀਉ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਕਰੈ ਲਿਵ ਲਾਵੈ ਲਾਹਾ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਲੀਓ ॥ਗੁਰ ਪਰਸਾਦੀ ਹਰਿ ਧਨੁ ਪਾਇਓ ਅੰਤੇ ਚਲਦਿਆ ਨਾਲਿ ਚਲਿਓ ॥ਕਹਤ ਕਬੀਰ ਸੁਨਹੁ ਰੇ ਸੰਤਹੁ ਅਨੁ ਧਨੁ ਕਛੂਐ ਲੈ ਨ ਗਇਓ ॥ਆਈ ਤਲਬ ਗੋਪਾਲ ਰਾਇ ਕੀ ਮਾਇਆ ਮੰਦਰ ਛੋਡਿ ਚਲਿਓ ॥

Bārah baras bālpan bīṯė bīs baras kacẖẖ ṯap na kī¬o. Ŧīs baras kacẖẖ ḏėv na pūjā fir pacẖẖuṯānā biraḏẖ bẖa¬i¬o. Mėrī mėrī karṯė janam ga¬i¬o. Sā¬ir sokẖ bẖujaʼn bali¬o. Sūkė sarvar pāl banḏẖāvai lūṇai kẖėṯ hath vār karai. Ā¬i¬o cẖor ṯuranṯah lė ga¬i¬o mėrī rākẖaṯ mugaḏẖ firai. Cẖaran sīs kar kampan lāgė nainī nīr asār bahai. Jihvā bacẖan suḏẖ nahī niksai ṯab rė ḏẖaram kī ās karai. Gur parsādī har ḏẖan pā¬i¬o anṯė cẖalḏi¬ā nāl cẖali¬o. Kahaṯ Kabīr sunhu rė sanṯahu an ḏẖan kacẖẖū¬ai lai na ga¬i¬o. Ā¬ī ṯalab gopāl rā¬ė kī mā¬i¬ā manḏar cẖẖod cẖali¬o.

Twelve years pass in childhood, and for another twenty years, he does not practice self-discipline and austerity. For another thirty years, he does not worship God in any way, and then, when he is old, he repents and regrets. His life wastes away as he cries out, "Mine, mine!” The pool of his power has dried up. He makes a dam around the dried-up pool, and with his hands, he makes a fence around the harvested field. When the thief of Death comes, he quickly carries away what the fool had tried to preserve as his own. His feet and head and hands begin to tremble, and the tears flow copiously from his eyes. His tongue has not spoken the correct words, but now, he hopes to practice religion! If the Dear Akal Purkh shows Its Mercy, one enshrines love for It, and obtains the Profit of It's Name. By Guru's Grace, he receives the wealth of the It's Name, which alone shall go with him, when he departs in the end. Says Kabir, listen, O Saints - he shall not take any other wealth with him. When the summons comes from the King, the Akal Purkh of the Universe, the mortal departs, leaving behind his wealth and mansions. -----Kabir, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 479

Guru Nanak, Guru Ramdas, and Guru Arjan in the mode of Sri Raag, AGGS, Pages, 74,75,76,78 also describe an earlier stage of human life in mother’s womb and thus describing the life with four stages;

First Stage;

Guru Nanak describes the life of an individual during these four stages:

ਪਹਿਲੈ ਪਹਰੈ ਰੈਣਿ ਕੈ ਵਣਜਾਰਿਆ ਮਿਤ੍ਰਾ ਹੁਕਮਿ ਪਇਆ ਗਰਭਾਸਿ ॥

Pehlai Pehrai RaiN Kai Vanjaria Mitra Hukam Paeaa Garbhaas.

In the first watch of life, by Divine Will, O my merchant friend, you were cast into the womb.

Upside-down, within the womb, you performed penance, prayed, and meditated with deep love and affection to your Creator and Master. You came into this Dark Age of Kali Yuga naked, and you shall depart again naked. As God's Pen has written on your forehead, so it shall be with your consciousness.

In the second watch of the night, O my merchant friend, you forgot to meditate. You are passed around, from hand to hand, like Krishna in the house of Yashoda. And your mother says, "This is my son." O, my thoughtless and foolish mind, think: In the end, nothing shall be yours. You do not know the One who created the creation. Gather spiritual wisdom within your mind.

In the third watch of the night, O my merchant friend, your consciousness was focused on wealth and youth. You did not remember the Name of the Akal Purkh, although it would have released you from bondage. However, you became confused by Maya. Reveling in your riches and intoxicated with youth, you wasted your life uselessly. You have not traded in righteousness; you have not made good deeds your friends.

In the fourth watch of the night, O my merchant friend, the Grim Reaper comes to the field. When the Messenger of Death seizes and dispatches you, no one knows the mystery of where you have gone. So think of the Akal Purkh! No one knows this secret. All your weeping and wailing then is false. In an instant, you become a stranger. You obtain exactly what you have longed for

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਪ੍ਰਾਣੀ ਚਉਥੈ ਪਹਰੈ ਲਾਵੀ ਲੁਣਿਆ ਖੇਤੁ ॥

Kaoh Nanak PraaNee Chouthay Pahrai Laavee LuNiaa Khayt.

Says Nanak, in the fourth watch of the night, O mortal, the Grim Reaper has harvested your field.

Here Guru Nanak describes the spiritual way of life in the above described four stages of life;

ਪਹਿਲੈ ਪਹਰੈ ਰੈਣਿ ਕੈ ਵਣਜਾਰਿਆ ਮਿਤ੍ਰਾ ਬਾਲਕ ਬੁਧਿ ਅਚੇਤੁ ॥

Pehlai Pehrai RaiN Kai Vanjaria Mitra Baalak Budh Achayt.

In the first watch of the night, O my merchant friend, your innocent mind has a child-like understanding.

You drink milk, and you are fondled so gently. The mother and father love their child so much, but in Maya, all are caught in emotional attachment.

ਸੰਜੋਗੀ ਆਇਆ ਕਿਰਤੁ ਕਮਾਇਆ ਕਰਣੀ ਕਾਰ ਕਰਾਈ ॥

Sanjogee Aaeaa Kirat Kamaaeaa KarNee Kaar Karaa-ee.

By the good fortune of good deeds done in the past, you have come, and now you perform actions that determine your future. -----75-3

Without Akal Purkh's Name, liberation is not obtained, and you are drowned in the love of duality. Says Nanak, in the first watch of the night, O mortal, you shall be saved by remembering the Creator.

In the second watch of the night, O my merchant friend, you were intoxicated with the wine of youth, beauty, and engrossed in sexual desire day and night. Your consciousness was blind to the Akal Purkh's Name, which was not within your heart, but all sorts of other tastes seemed sweet to you. You have no wisdom at all, you did not meditate, neither you have any virtue nor self-discipline. In falsehood, you were caught in the cycle of birth and death. Pilgrimages, fasts, purification and self-discipline are of no use, nor are rituals, religious ceremonies nor empty worship. O Nanak, emancipation comes only by loving devotional worship, but not through duality.

In the third watch of the night, O my merchant friend, the white hairs, come and land upon the pool of the head. Youth wears itself out, and old age triumphs, and as time passes, your days diminish. At the last moment, you repent-you are so blind! Then the Messenger of Death seizes you and carries you away. You kept all your things for yourself, but in an instant, they are all lost. Your intellect left you, your wisdom departed, and now you repent for the evil deeds you committed.

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਪ੍ਰਾਣੀ ਤੀਜੈ ਪਹਰੈ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਚੇਤਹੁ ਲਿਵ ਲਾਇ ॥

Kaoh Nanak PraaNee Teejai Pahrai Prabh Chayteh Liv Laaey.

Says Nanak, O mortal, in the third watch of the night, let your consciousness be lovingly focused on God. -----76-3

ਚਉਥੈ ਪਹਰੈ ਰੈਣਿ ਕੈ ਵਣਜਾਰਿਆ ਮਿਤ੍ਰਾ ਬਿਰਧਿ ਭਇਆ ਤਨੁ ਖੀਣੁ ॥

Chauthay Pahrai Rain Kai Vanjaaria Mitra Birdh Bhaeaa Tan KheeN.

In the fourth watch of the night, O my merchant friend, your body grows old and weak.

Your eyes go blind, you cannot see, your ears do not hear any words, and your tongue is unable to taste; you live only with the help of the others. With no virtue within, how can you find peace? The self-willed comes and goes. When the crop of life has matured, it bends, breaks and perishes; why take pride in that which comes and goes? Says Nanak, O mortal, in the fourth watch of the night, the Gurmukh recognizes the Word of the Sabd.

Your breath comes to its end, O my merchant friend, and your shoulders are weighed down by the tyrant of old age. Not one iota of virtue came into you, bound and gagged by evil, you are driven along. One who departs with virtue and self-discipline is not struck down, and is not consigned to the cycle of birth and death. The Messenger of Death and his trap cannot touch him; through loving devotional worship, he crosses over the ocean of fear. He departs with honor, and merges in intuitive peace and poise; all his pains depart.

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਪ੍ਰਾਣੀ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਛੂਟੈ ਸਾਚੇ ਤੇ ਪਤਿ ਪਾਵੈ ॥

Kaoh Nanak PraaNee Gurmukh Chootai Saachay Tay Pat Paavai.

Says Nanak, when the mortal becomes Gurmukh, he is saved and honored by the True Akal Purkh. -----76-10

Guru Ramdas ponders again on these four stages of life in Siri Raag, AGGS, Page, 76

ਪਹਿਲੈ ਪਹਰੈ ਰੈਣਿ ਕੈ ਵਣਜਾਰਿਆ ਮਿਤ੍ਰਾ ਹਰਿ ਪਾਇਆ ਉਦਰ ਮੰਝਾਰਿ ॥

Pehlai Pehrai RaiN Kai Vanjaria Mitra Har Paaeaa Ouder Manjhaar.

In the first watch of the night, O my merchant friend, Akal Purkh places you in the womb.

You meditate on the Akal Purkh, and chant It's Name, O my merchant friend. You contemplate, meditate, and chant Its Name, within the fire of the womb; your life is sustained by dwelling on the Naam. You are born and you come out, and your mother and father are delighted to see your face. Remember the One, O mortal, to whom the child belongs. As Guru willed, reflect upon the Creator within your heart. Says Nanak, O mortal, in the first watch of the night, dwell upon the Akal Purkh, who shall shower you with Its Grace.

In the second watch of the night, O my merchant friend, the mind is attached to the love of duality. Mother and father hug you close in their embrace, in their minds claiming, "He is mine, he is mine"; so the child is brought up, they believe that you will provide for them and support them. The fool does not know the One who gives; instead, he clings to the gift. Rare is the Gurmukh who reflects upon, meditates upon, and within his mind, is lovingly attached to the Akal Purkh. Says Nanak, in the second watch of the night, O mortal, death never devours you.

In the third watch of the night, O my merchant friend, your mind is entangled in worldly and household affairs. You think of wealth, and gather wealth, but you do not contemplate on the God's Name, The Creator, who will be your only Helper and Support in the end. This wealth, property and Maya are false. In the end, you must leave these, and depart in sorrow. Those, whom the Akal Purkh in Its Mercy, unites with the Guru, reflect upon the Name of the Creator,The Akal Purkh. Says Nanak, in the third watch of the night, O mortal, they go, and are united with the Akal Purkh.

In the fourth watch of the night, O my merchant friend, the Akal Purkh announces the time of departure. Serve the Perfect True Guru, your entire life-night is passing away. Serve the Creator each and every instant, do not delay! You shall become eternal throughout the ages. Enjoy ecstasy forever with the God, and do away with the pains of birth and death. Know that there is no difference between the Guru, the True Guru, and your Creator and Master. Meeting with Him, take pleasure in the Akal Purkh's devotional service.

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਪ੍ਰਾਣੀ ਚਉਥੈ ਪਹਰੈ ਸਫਲਿਓ*ੁ ਰੈਣਿ ਭਗਤਾ ਦੀ ॥

Kaoh Nanak PraaNee Chaouthay Pahrai Safleou RaiN Bhagta Dee.

Says Nanak, O mortal, in the fourth watch of the night, the life-night of the devotee is fruitful. -----GuruRamdas, 77-6

Similarly Guru Arjan also ponders on the four stages of life in Siri Raag, AGGS, Page, 77;

ਪਹਿਲੈ ਪਹਰੈ ਰੈਣਿ ਕੈ ਵਣਜਾਰਿਆ ਮਿਤ੍ਰਾ ਧਰਿ ਪਾਇਤਾ ਉਦਰੈ ਮਾਹਿ ॥

Pehlai Pehrai RaiN Kai Vanjaria Mitra Dhar Paaetaa Oudrai Maaeh.

In the first watch of the night, O my merchant friend, thou are conceived in the womb.
In the tenth month, you were made into a human being, O my merchant friend, and you were given your allotted time to perform good deeds, according to your pre-ordained destiny. God placed you with your mother, father, brothers, sons and wife. God It self is the Cause of causes, good and bad. No one has control over these things.

In the second watch of the night, O my merchant friend, the fullness of youth rises in you like waves in the storm. You do not distinguish between good and evil, and your mind is intoxicated with ego, the road ahead gets treacherous. They never serve the Perfect True Guru, and the cruel tyrant Death stands over their heads. When the Righteous Judge seizes you and interrogates you, O madman, what answer will you give him then?

In the third watch of the night, O my merchant friend, the blind and ignorant person gathers poison. He is entangled in emotional attachment to his wife and sons, and the waves of greed are rising up in him, and he does not remember God. He does not join the Company of the Holy, and he suffers in terrible pain through countless incarnations. He has forgotten the Creator, and Master, and he does not meditate on It, even for an instant.

In the fourth watch of the night, O my merchant friend, that day is drawing near. As Gurmukh, remember the Naam, It shall be your Friend in the Court of the Akal Purkh and shall be your only companion. This emotional attachment to Maya shall not go with you; it is false to fall in love with it. The entire night of your life has passed away in darkness; but by serving the True Guru, the Divine Light shall dawn within.
Receiving the summons from the Creator of the Universe, O my merchant friend, you must arise and depart with the actions you have committed. You are not allowed a moment's delay. The Messenger of Death seizes you with firm hands. Receiving the summons, people are seized and dispatched. The self-willed Manmukhs are miserable forever. But those who serve the Perfect True Guru are forever happy in the Court of the Akal Purkh. The body is the field of karma in this age; whatever you plant, you shall harvest.

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਭਗਤ ਸੋਹਹਿ ਦਰਵਾਰੇ ਮਨਮੁਖ ਸਦਾ ਭਵਾਤਿ ॥

Kaoh Nanak Bhagat Soheh Darvaray Manmukh Sada Bhavaat.

Says Nanak, the devotees look beautiful in the Court of the Akal Purkh; the self-willed wander forever. -----Guru Arjan, Siri Raag, AGGS, Page, 78-6

A plea is being made to the ignorant Sikhs not to procrastinate on the path of spirituality, sooner the better, which should be considered a profitable trade. From this trade profits are carried along after death in to the next life, as pointed out by Guru Nanak in the following hymn of Raag Sorath;

ਸੁਣਿ ਸਾਸਤ ਸਉਦਾਗਰੀ ਸਤੁ ਘੋੜੇ ਲੈ ਚਲੁ ॥ਖਰਚੁ ਬੰਨੁ ਚੰਗਿਆਈਆ ਮਤੁ ਮਨ ਜਾਣਹਿ ਕਲੁ ॥ਨਿਰੰਕਾਰ ਕੈ ਦੇਸਿ ਜਾਹਿ ਤਾ ਸੁਖਿ ਲਹਹਿ ਮਹਲੁ ॥ SouN Sasat Soudaagree Sat Ghoray Lai Chal, Kharch BaN Changiaa-ee-aa Mat Man JaaNeh Kal, Nirankaar Kay Daysh Jaaeh Ta Sukh Leheh Mahul.

Let your business be listening to scriptures, and to purchase the horses of Truth and contentment. For the journey take the food of virtuous deeds, never delaying or postponing it for the next day. When you arrive in the land of the Formless Akal Purkh, you shall enjoy the bliss in the Mansion of Its Presence. -----Guru Nanak, Raag Sorath, AGGS, Page, 595-14

Guru Arjan in Raag Asa has further stressed that in addition to remembering God, it is necessary to subdue the lower five instincts and develop five virtues, otherwise it is a waste of life;

ਪੰਚ ਮਨਾਏ ਪੰਚ ਰੁਸਾਏ ॥ਪੰਚ ਵਸਾਏ ਪੰਚ ਗਵਾਏ ॥ਇਨ੍ਹ੍ਹ ਬਿਧਿ ਨਗਰੁ ਵੁਠਾ ਮੇਰੇ ਭਾਈ ॥ਦੁਰਤੁ ਗਇਆ ਗੁਰਿ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਦ੍ਰਿੜਾਈ ॥ਸਾਚ ਧਰਮ ਕੀ ਕਰਿ ਦੀਨੀ ਵਾਰਿ ॥ਫਰਹੇ ਮੁਹਕਮ ਗੁਰ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਬੀਚਾਰਿ ॥ਨਾਮੁ ਖੇਤੀ ਬੀਜਹੁ ਭਾਈ ਮੀਤ ॥ਸਉਦਾ ਕਰਹੁ ਗੁਰੁ ਸੇਵਹੁ ਨੀਤ ॥

Panch Mana-ay Panch Rusa-ay, Panch Vasaa-ay Panch Gavaa-ay, Inn Bidh Nagar Vutha Mayray Bhai, Durat Gae-aa Gur Gian Dirrhaaee, Saach Dharam Ki Kar Deeni Vaar, Farhay Mohkam Gur Giaan Bichaar,Naam Khaytee Beejoh Bhai Meet, Saudaa Karoh Gur Sevoh Neet.

When the five virtues were reconciled, and the five passions were estranged, I enshrined the five within myself, and cast out the other five. In this way, the village of my body became inhabited; O my Siblings of Destiny, vice departed, and the Guru's spiritual wisdom was implanted within me. The fence of true Righteous religion has been built around it. The spiritual wisdom and reflective meditation of the Guru has become its strong gate. So plant the seed of the Naam, the Name of the Akal Purkh, O friends, O Siblings of Destiny. Deal only in the constant service of the Guru. -----Guru Arjan, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 430

According to Sabad Guru, Sikhs are supposed to remember Akal Purkh 24 hours a day with each breath. Devotion is one of the necessary perfections required in Sikhism for growth in spirituality. It is defined as an ardent, pious, selfless affection and zealous dedication, to a person or principle or love of religious observance. It is an addiction of bringing eager feelings towards God and is expressed by acts of worship with devoutness. Any procrastination in this matter is nothing less than spiritual suicide as noted by Guru Nanak and Guru Arjan in Raag Gauri;

ਰੈਣਿ ਗਵਾਈ ਸੋਇ ਕੈ ਦਿਵਸੁ ਗਵਾਇਆ ਖਾਇ ॥ ਹੀਰੇ ਜੈਸਾ ਜਨਮੁ ਹੈ ਕਉਡੀ ਬਦਲੇ ਜਾਇ ॥

RaiN Gavaa-ee Soey Kai Divas Gavaaeaa Khaaey, Heray Jaissa Janam Hai Kaoudee Badlay Jaaey.

The nights are wasted sleeping, and the days are wasted eating. Human life is such a precious jewel, but it is being lost in exchange for a mere shell.-----Guru Nanak, Raag Gauri Bairagan, AGGS, Page, 156-17

Bhagat Kabir in Raag Suhi has given further advice in this respect by asking questions;

ਅਵਤਰਿ ਆਇ ਕਹਾ ਤੁਮ ਕੀਨਾ ॥ ਰਾਮ ਕੋ ਨਾਮੁ ਨ ਕਬਹੂ ਲੀਨਾ ॥ ਰਾਮ ਨ ਜਪਹੁ ਕਵਨ ਮਤਿ ਲਾਗੇ ॥ ਮਰਿ ਜਇਬੇ ਕਉ ਕਿਆ ਕਰਹੁ ਅਭਾਗੇ ॥ਦੁਖ ਸੁਖ ਕਰਿ ਕੈ ਕੁਟੰਬੁ ਜੀਵਾਇਆ ॥ਮਰਤੀ ਬਾਰ ਇਕਸਰ ਦੁਖੁ ਪਾਇਆ ॥
Avtar Aaey Kahaa Tum Keena, Ram Ko Naam Na Kabhoo Leena, Ram Na Japoh Kavan Mat Laagay, Mar Jaebay Kaou Kia Karoh Abhagay, Dukh Sukh Kar Kai Kutanb Jeevaaeaa, Martee Bar Iksar Dukh Paaeaa.

Since your birth, what have you done?You have never even chanted the Name of the Akal Purkh. You have not meditated on the It; what thoughts are you attached to? What preparations are you making for your death, O unfortunate one? Through pain and pleasure, you have taken care of your family.But at the time of death, you shall have to endure the agony all alone. -----Kabir, Raag Suhi, AGGS, Page, 792-7 & 8

Conclusion:

The Sikh way of life is characterized by remembering Akal Purkh at all times during our experience as humans on this earth. There can, of course, be substantial variations between what a religion commands and what people actually do. Hymns in Sabd Guru revolve around Truth, truthful conduct, and the recitation of Naam of the Absolute Principle/God. That Absolute Principle is the law of all things and events. The Universal Laws of Mother Nature is the common ground of all creation. The Universal law is blind but even handed. All creation is a single whole, which works and unfolds according to the Absolute Principle, which is in the creation and vice versa. Guru Arjan in Raag Gauri urges the followers to remember God all the time;

ਜਿਨਿ ਦੀਨੀ ਸੋਭਾ ਵਡਿਆਈ ॥ਤਿਸੁ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕਉ ਆਠ ਪਹਰ ਧਿਆਈ ॥ ਜਿਨਿ ਕੀਨੀ ਸਭ ਪੂਰਨ ਆਸਾ ॥ ਸਿਮਰਉ ਦਿਨੁ ਰੈਨਿ ਸਾਸ ਗਿਰਾਸਾ ॥

Jin Deenee Sobha Vadiaa-ee, Tis Prabh Kou Aath Pehar Dhiaa-ee. Simrou Din Rain Saas Giraasa, Jin kīnī sabẖ pūran āsā.

Akal Purkh has given you fame and greatness. Meditate on that God, twenty-four hours a day. It has fulfilled all desires. Remember the Akal Purkh in meditation, day and night while breathing and eating. -----Guru Arjan, Gauri Guaarayri, AGGS, Page, 177-11& 15

Virinder S. Grewal

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM